Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Date?

Electronic Arts' Singapore Website has been updated to list a September 23, 2008 release date for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, the upcoming Warhammer-inspired MMORPG (thanks Mike Martinez/Joystiq/Massively). This date is also reflected by GameStop, while the listing for the game on Amazon lists the release date as a week later. Barring an official announcement, this all should probably still be viewed with some skepticism.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 12:59 Fingers M

"Rock Band was created/published by them to get a share of the music/rhythm genre"

Dude you are way off, they just publish, Harmonix created it, they also created Guitar Hero.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 09:35 InBlack

On a positive note, at least with MMO's developers can't blame piracy when their game goes down the tubes....

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 06:54 InBlack

Hellgate London was marketed as a subscription based MMO, regardless of what you or I think it really is, which is one of the primary reasons it failed.

As for Age of Conan, I refuse to pay to beta test an incomplete game. I feel bad enough as it is for buying it in the first place and falling for the hype.

16. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 06:48 The Half Elf

Fuck me? I'm not the FUCKING IDIOT that thinks Hellgate London is a MMO.

As for Age of Conan, I love some of the ideas in it, but the game really could have used another year for more voice overs, content bug squashing. Even though I'm not playing it now I do have faith that Funcom will 'fix' Age of Conan like they did with Anarchy Online.

As for Warhammer Online, honestly I think (at this time) that EA's creativity has dried up, and their franchises are doing poorly. With this happening EA is looking into different Genre's and trying to get 'the biggest slice' out of each of them.
For example, look at Rock Band, and Warhammer Online. Rock Band was created/published by them to get a share of the music/rhythm genre, and Warhammer is attempting to get in on the action Blizzard has with WoW.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

15. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 05:55 InBlack

What the FUCK!

Fuck all of you MMO fanboi retards who buy and PAY to BETA test incomplete games. That is the reason developers are releasing incomplete games.

Im really sick of it, there are so many people willing to pay and play that developers are releasing incomplete games way too early to the public.

1st: Hellgate London, end result: Flagshipped

2nd: Age of Conan, end result: Unknown yet, but Im pretty sure that its going to end up....Funcommed (50% of the promised game content missing at release, the other 50% broken ass shit)

and now 3rd: Warhammer Online, lets wait and see, hopefully they wont make the same mistake but this is EA so I wouldnt bet on it

14. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 02:02 Kobalt

This game will fail. It's polished to an extent but jesus the combat is horrible. Watch as you press a skill, and nothing happens for a retardly long amount of time. Or 3 second auto attack swings with dual wielding daggers.

People have been saying the combat is slow for awhile now but I thought people were exaggerating until I tried it.

13. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 01:01 The Half Elf

Considering WoW has 1 side vs the other side, along with Battlegrounds, etc I would say it's the same with the only difference being playing on a PVP or PVE server (WoW Wise).

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 00:09 Yifes

From what I have played it feels very 'WoW 1.5'. It's like WoW with a tad less cartoony art style.

Except this game has a pvp focus and WOW has a PVE focus. Your comment is like saying "Quake 3 arena/Unreal tournament feels like Unreal 1.5"
This comment was edited on Jul 28, 00:16.

11. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2008, 00:04 Yifes

And yea they are releasing early and incomplete and patching in later, same as AoC.

Except they have already started testing siege combat and it's looking great? I seriously don't know how people can compare this to AoC when it's already looking better and it's not even in open beta yet. Releasing broken content that hasn't been tested is pretty much what Mythic is not doing - hence the cuts.

I expect launch to be very smooth but incomplete and an unfinished end game and a lot of quirky bugs, though no real game breakers.

So when is an MMO "complete" and when is the end game "finished"?

As it stands, there are 6 end game fortresses to siege, 2 capital cities to raid and 20+ instanced battlegrounds. That is a pretty good amount of end game content to keep you busy until they release the other 4 capital cities. Considering WOW's end game pvp consists of 4 battlegrounds and 3 arenas WAR's endgame is a pretty damn good start.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 00:33.

10. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2008, 18:34 Talisorn

However, if it holds, I would say it is solely to beat The Wrath of the Lich King.
Big gamble there. If I was them, I'd release it about a month or two after WotLK. That's about the time that people will have got to 80th level and exhausted all the quests for Northrend ... bar the hard core raiders. It's just enough time for the people who quit WoW because they had enough beforehand and only came back for the expansion to realise that they REALLY had had enough the first time around and need something new again.

9. Off-Topic Jul 27, 2008, 17:41 Fibrocyte

Does anyone have a guild wars trial key (for any chapter) they wouldn't mind giving to me? I want to try that game as I think I'd like it.

Feel free to email me at fibrocyte@gmail.com... thanks!

8. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2008, 17:37 Dwarf_Snowninja

Skaven aren't in the intial release so who care!

7. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2008, 17:30 g_mann

mm another crappy MMO

6. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2008, 16:54 The Half Elf

Ray honestly I believe that's the only reason for the release date.
From what I have played it feels very 'WoW 1.5'. It's like WoW with a tad less cartoony art style.

Granted I have basically no knowledge of the tabletop game (sides they have awesome miniatures, but I think this game would have done better with a real time combat system.

5. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2008, 15:52 CreamyBlood

Well, I haven't bothered playing any of these new-fangled MMORPG's so I could be talking out of my ass. But from all the comments relating to these releases I've read over the years I read it as:

"Paid Beta release for Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning coming this fall."

4. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2008, 15:33 Fion

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm more expecting them to delay the game "just for polish" and then cut another sizeable chunk out of it.

Didn't you get the memo? The last 8 month delay was because 'the game is pretty much complete, we just want to polish some of the areas and gameplay that needs it.'

And yea they are releasing early and incomplete and patching in later, same as AoC. It's either that or release close to WoLK or afterwords, at a time when MMOGs simply don't sell very well, or wait until late spring again, a delay that would cost millions.

When it comes down to it, they don't have an ever open budget. They have to pick a time to release and get the game as close to done as they can. AoC did this by polishing the shit out of the early parts of the game in order to keep a player base long enough to patch up the rest. And so far it's working. They have had some turnover, but thats expected.

Hell in all likelyhood it's not even the developers who are picking the release date, but EA. They are simply being told to get the game as complete as possible by September.. a mere 2 months away.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 15:37.

3. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2008, 15:27 Ray Marden

I am a tad skeptical about the date.

However, if it holds, I would say it is solely to beat The Wrath of the Lich King. I was expecting them to push the game out for the holiday season regardless of any other issues, but I am surprised they would jump the gun and try to come out so much (relatively) earlier.

Perhaps it is "done," but from what I have heard, it has quite a ways to go - the basic frame is there, but it needs a lot of bug fixes and other things still need to be implemented.
Better hope it does not bite them in the ass...
Bemused,
Ray

-----
I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks; who's first?
http://www.flagshipped.com/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

2. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2008, 14:57 Slink

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm more expecting them to delay the game "just for polish" and then cut another sizeable chunk out of it.

- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

1. No subject Jul 27, 2008, 14:54 Fion

On the dot, September. Releasing a few months before the WoW expansion but also incomplete. I expect launch to be very smooth but incomplete and an unfinished end game and a lot of quirky bugs, though no real game breakers.

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 14:56.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo