Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DirectX 11 Announced, Compatible with DirectX 10 Hardware

This Gamasutra article, also from Microsoft's Gamefest 2008 developer conference in Seattle has word that DirectX 11 has been announced, though no specific release date is specified. Unsurprisingly, this will be for Windows Vista and "future versions of Windows," but not Windows XP. The good news is that there will be no new hardware requirements, so DirectX 10 hardware should be DirectX 11 compatible.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

80. Hey Mon: Jul 28, 2008, 21:06 Elricsi

Forget these new fangled OS's, Me is da bomb!

Seriously, there is NO reason to upgrade a home PC from XP to Vista. But, if you are buying a NEW PC, then Vista should be fine.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Re: No subject Jul 24, 2008, 22:59 Creston

Vista has actually saved us money because we don't need to pay for things like

Firewall software
Malware protection
Deployment tools
other security (encryption) tools

Oooookay....

I'm sure you guys have the most secure network EVAR!!!

Creston

78. Re: oy Jul 24, 2008, 22:47 Creston

anyone remember directX 2?

I remember how the old versions of DirectX (up until 3, I believe) would simply overwrite all your fucking drivers when installed, with Microsoft's Better Drivers. Which then completely fucked everyone over.

Was it during the heydays of the original Diablo when a new DirectX update came out and basically broke the game for almost everyone until they went back and reinstalled the hardware's own drivers?

God, those were the days

Creston

77. Re: ... Jul 24, 2008, 22:44 Creston

You know what unallocated memory does, right? Jack shit, that's what.

If all you're doing is staring at your pretty 3d desktop, then yeah. Some of us play this thing called "games", and there are quite a few games that enjoy having more memory available. So the 500 or so extra MBs that Vista gophers could come in quite handy in these "games".

"Now, what MS should work up the balls for doing at one point, is dropping all their legacy-shit, throwing backward-compatibility into a fiery pit, and make something good from scratch without all the crap that inevitably carries over. "

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Yes, they should do that. Because here is how the conversation will go :

Microsoft : We made a new OS, it's teh fucking bomb!
Corporate Client : Really? What good does it do me?
Microsoft : Well, for one, NONE of your old shitty programs will work anymore!
Client : None?
MS : That's right! Nothing! All gone baby! You get to start ALL OVER! Buy new software for absolutely fucking EVERYTHING! And then have the joy of converting every single goddamn byte of your existing network data over to our brilliant new system! Doesn't that sound great?! Hello? HELLO...?

But keep dreaming buddy.

I love how people who have Vista always have this vigorous ZEAL about pronouncing it to the world. "I UPGRADED TO VISTA AND IT WORKS FUCKING GREAT! I'M ON TOP OF THE TECHNOLOGICAL WORLD! EAT THAT XP-USING CAVEMAN! I'M BETTER THAN YOU ARE!"

Really, you guys should get together with all the early adopters of the iPhone and form a support group.

In order for most people to upgrade, there should be some benefit. That's how the world works. Do something -> get benefit. What's the benefit of upgrading to Vista? DX10? For that one game that uses it? Better "security" features, which basically are Microsoft saying "Look, we have no fucking clue how to fix anything, so we're just going to pop up an "are you sure?" box everytime you want to blink, or we're just going to disable everything that had a security hole in it?"
The "your games MIGHT run just as fast as they do in XP! In some cases, they're only 10% slower!"
Or is it the wonder whether my sound card will still work the way it does in XP, because MS has spent 13 years getting everyone to use DirectSound, then unceremoniously dumps it and FUCK the customer?

Benefit of Vista over XP seems to be about absolutely zero. But no, you're right, I SHOULD fork over another 200 bucks so I can have a worse OS. After all, poor Steve Balmer has to feed his kids, right?

Creston

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 22:54.

76. Re: No subject Jul 24, 2008, 18:31 bigspender

our work has upgraded to vista - apparat from a few really really old pre-NT pieces of software (which we run in a virtual pc now) everything is fine.
And maintenance - such as deployment ? its practically a press one button, walk away and do something else type deal.

Vista has actually saved us money because we don't need to pay for things like

Firewall software
Malware protection
Deployment tools
other security (encryption) tools

from a business point of view vista is fantastic (provided your old apps are compatible) which now isnt a problem cause most dev's are catching up.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

75. ... Jul 24, 2008, 01:17 theyarecomingforyou

Quantify, it's always nice when someone tries to use a pretty word however.
I apologise for using words appropriate to the conversation - heaven forbid one tries to be concise on the interweb. And I didn't "try" to use the word - I did use it, and correctly. Perhaps I should just slap on Caps Lock and resort to personal insults?

I made it through commadore basic, on top of that too with a dash of a few other things like Icon(QNX).
I listed my experience with Microsoft operating systems as that was pertinent to the conversation. However, instead of you simply accepting that people with lengthy experience in computing can like Vista you reel out a CV of operating systems you've used in a vain attempt to gain credibility.

Ah fuck it, I'll just get my cock out and wave it about... that's about all this discussion merits. Here kitty, kitty. MIAOW!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

74. Re: ... Jul 23, 2008, 23:44 Mashiki Amiketo

And you quantify "most" how exactly? Exactly. You're talking bullshit.
Simply this, on the basis on the number of people that I had worked with over the last 15 years in the industry. Of course, since I don't work in this particular area anymore I really don't care; so my opinions generally reflect that. So, in the end I can base that on a personal opinion, with world experience adding in external examples with a myriad of individual people who've given me their personal thoughts an opinions. Quantify, it's always nice when someone tries to use a pretty word however.

And many of the people that criticise Vista have never used it / barely used it and lie. What's your point? Again it's something that can't be quantified, therefore is useless in any serious debate. I've lived through DOS, Windows 3.x/9x/2000/XP and now Vista - I'm not a fanboy but I like it.

I made it through commadore basic, on top of that too with a dash of a few other things like Icon(QNX). But you know...it's all in the pudding. Using it for a length of time greater then a month would give most people a 'fair' estimation on how they feel about an OS.

Reality is, much like anything impressions hold true. If it doesn't hold someone in the first little bit you're out of luck. Technical designs or anything else aside, it's a fact.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 23:46.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

73. Re: No subject Jul 23, 2008, 20:11 dryden555

Hey inblack, who here said directx is better than opengl?

72. Re: No subject Jul 23, 2008, 17:29 Tango

Dev, apparently it's "completely compatible" with both. http://www.developmag.com/news/30218/Microsoft-unveils-DirectX-11

71. No subject Jul 23, 2008, 16:36 Dev

Is it backwards compatible with 10 or 10.1? It makes a differance, because a number of 10 cards on the market are NOT 10.1 compliant.

70. ... Jul 23, 2008, 15:55 theyarecomingforyou

The reality is, most people have. The standing with most is, it stinks, sucks, blows and is the same quality as ME.
And you quantify "most" how exactly? Exactly. You're talking bullshit.

Many of the 'zomgvistazomg' fanboys, aren't the same ones that lived through the 5 versions of '95, the switch to '98, the flop of ME and remember the various issues that rose along with them either, including the DX issues, and the transition phases of trying to get drivers to work between protected, non, and DMA. Or the mhz/ghz race and 2mo hardware product cycles, and people dumping hardware left and right to be on top of it all while it was cheap.
And many of the people that criticise Vista have never used it / barely used it and lie. What's your point? Again it's something that can't be quantified, therefore is useless in any serious debate. I've lived through DOS, Windows 3.x/9x/2000/XP and now Vista - I'm not a fanboy but I like it.

The reason that people like XP is it works, it works well and it's simple.
Last time I checked Vista works. Yup, definitely works. I'm using it to type this reply, game, compose music, design websites, graphic design, etc.

As far as games hobbyists go there's no real reason to upgrade to Vista. DirectX 10/10.1 may add a few improved effects here and there but when you consider that it doesn't actually add anything worth talking about, it becomes one less reason to sidegrade to Vista.
And what exactly did DX6/7/8 contribute? It was only DX9 that hardware features became relevant, with developers promoting DX9 features.

Just because you haven't had any problems it doesn't mean others haven't, and you're in the minority if you've had a smooth experience.
And you quantify that how? Oh yes, you made it up. That's not to say plenty of people haven't had problems but they're just very loud in comparison to those running Vista happily. The difference is that the blogging culture we have now has given disproportionate power to those complaining.

From my experience, they did the same thing with XP, or any other version of Windows. I'm sure we'll see the upgrade percentage go up as Vista gets more stable over time and people trust in it more.
Exactly. Businesses were reluctant to upgrade to 2000 and XP, sticking stubbornly to previous versions. Businesses are also more careful about expenditure, with migration costs preventing early adoption. Businesses didn't want to have to upgrade their machines for 2000 or for XP and Vista is no different.

To all those saying that Vista is the new XP and that this is how XP was received, you couldn't be more wrong.
XP and Vista both had the same issues at launch (software compatibility, driver support, software support, gaming performance, etc). The difference is the public perception. Win9x operating systems weren't very stable or secure, so there was real incentive to upgrade - this was combined with a visual update for XP. Previous operating systems also lasted considerably less time on the market. The problem was that people became too accustomed to XP because of the delays to Vista. It becomes clear when you look at how long previous consumer versions of Windows lasted:

Win95 (August, 1995)
--- 2yrs 7 months ---
Win98 (March, 1998)
--- 2yrs 6 months ---
WinME (September, 2000)
--- 1yr 1 month ---
WinXP (October, 2001)
--- 5yrs 3 months ---
Vista (January, 2007)

So XP was around for over twice as long as most previous versions. Security was improved through service packs and new features added in SP2 to tide people over.

Vista was a disappointment, hence the weaker than desired sales. That shouldn't be confused with saying that Vista is a worse operating system, though.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

69. Re: No subject Jul 23, 2008, 15:10 GridPoet

So, basically: "Vista sucks, so Im going to use something that has even less compatibility with hardware, and even more problems with memory hogging."?

Sorry, but unless you're using a Linux that doesn't use KDE or Gnome, you are using something far more "bloated" than Vista could ever be. KDE and Gnome are absolute terrors.

HAHAHAHAhahahah... okay, you just disqualified yourself right there...
http://www.linuxmonitor.net/blog/2007/03/windows-vista-aero-vs-linux-ubuntu.html

I've personally sat and watched my friend use aero on his monster rig (no i dont remember the specs but is core2duo and Ndvida SLI) and it ran similarly to that video, but ubuntu on my little old 3400+ with a x1900 runs like a champ, not a hicup not a glitch...

It seems to me that most of the people spouting love for vista do so because of its graphical enhancements and aero. I personally dual boot XP and Ubuntu, if i want a flashy interface i use Ubuntu, if i want a solid Game OS i use XP.

To all those saying that Vista is the new XP and that this is how XP was received, you couldn't be more wrong. I know, i'm old enough to have lived through about 5 MS major releases. No OS (besides Windows Millennium) has had lower acceptance numbers in both the home and business market. Vista just did NOT deliver anything it originally promised, its just another iteration of bloat and legacy code.

If they were smart, they would have crafted Win 7 on the MinWin core to make it quicker, more streamlined and more modular. But now MS has announced they are just going to muck around with Vista some more... well here's to hoping that they can clean it up enough to exceed XP, i personally dont want to be running XP for the rest of my life!

68. Re: No subject Jul 23, 2008, 12:32 Ecthelion

The fact that many large businesses are still refusing to upgrade to Vista is a pretty telling fact to me. This is where Microsoft really makes their money, selling many thousands of OS licenses to businesses. And the fact that many are not upgrading says a lot.
From my experience, they did the same thing with XP, or any other version of Windows. I'm sure we'll see the upgrade percentage go up as Vista gets more stable over time and people trust in it more.

Microsoft has not done a great job of selling Vista's strong points for the business market, so that doesn't help either.

67. No subject Jul 23, 2008, 12:10 Mr. Tact

The fact that many large businesses are still refusing to upgrade to Vista is a pretty telling fact to me. This is where Microsoft really makes their money, selling many thousands of OS licenses to businesses. And the fact that many are not upgrading says a lot.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

66. Re: No subject Jul 23, 2008, 10:31 InBlack

Saying DirectX is better than OpenGL is like saying Apples are better than Oranges.

The fact of the matter is that developers like developing on the DirectX API for the simple reason that 90% of the PC install base uses Windows of one flavour or another, I.E. they are using DirectX. With the introduction of the Xbox (which is basically a windows gaming rig) this increased in scope.

I have a nifty blue line!

65. No subject Jul 23, 2008, 09:33 dryden555

in the history of PC gaming so far, linux has been at best an after thought. Saying "linux is better than windows" is particularly ill-stated in a gaming context.

DirectX has proven itself over time a very capable API, even if Vista was a deserved flop.

64. No subject Jul 23, 2008, 07:03 Zzet

As far as games hobbyists go there's no real reason to upgrade to Vista. DirectX 10/10.1 may add a few improved effects here and there but when you consider that it doesn't actually add anything worth talking about, it becomes one less reason to sidegrade to Vista. I'm also of the opinion that an API like OpenGL should be a common standard, not a proprietary technology, but that's probably more of a personal opinion.

I am surprised with the voracity with which Vista is defended in this thread, I would have thought people on Bluesnews had more common sense than to defend an essentially unnecessary operating system that simply isn't better than XP in...well, mostly everything. Vista does indeed do many things well, but no better or more efficiently than XP. Just because you haven't had any problems it doesn't mean others haven't, and you're in the minority if you've had a smooth experience.

63. Amazing Jul 23, 2008, 06:08 InBlack

What is really amazing to me is how many people are dueling it out to the death, over which OS is better, WinXP or VISTA.

Let me spell it out for you people.

They are both SHIT.

Unless the OS adds new features and/or performance there is no REASON to upgrade. If you LIKE giving Microsoft money, then by all means: UPGRADE YOU DUMB SHIT.

The only reason I moved to XP was because of Microsofts monopoly over the game market with the worlds most evil API DirectX, all the newer games REQUIRED me to have XP. That is the only reason I moved. Not because XP was better than Win98.

So explain to me WHY I should move to Vista, if I DONT HAVE TO and additionally my system (and games) loses performance?

When games are made as VISTA (or Windows 7) exclusives I guess I will be forced to move, but until then Microsoft can kiss my ass and like it.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 06:10.

I have a nifty blue line!

62. Re: ... Jul 23, 2008, 06:07 bigspender

its no different to 98 and XP comming along, just that more we have more people that need cheese with there wine!

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

61. Re: ... Jul 23, 2008, 05:31 Mashiki Amiketo

It might help to know how to use Vista before criticising it. DirectX 10/11 has been a fantastic improvement for all new games coming out on the market & there are plenty.

WinXP is fine also but Vista is perfect for gamers.
You're assuming that people haven't. The reality is, most people have. The standing with most is, it stinks, sucks, blows and is the same quality as ME. The reason is simple, at release drivers were poor, support was bad, MS did massive back-peddling along with driver vendors, and it took them nearly a year to get it to the point where it was 'ok', with hardware requirements that weren't.

The hardware market is slower then it was a few years ago, people aren't buying new stuff every 6mo, not every 3mo, sometimes not every year. Most people I know that used to buy every two or so now.

Many of the 'zomgvistazomg' fanboys, aren't the same ones that lived through the 5 versions of '95, the switch to '98, the flop of ME and remember the various issues that rose along with them either, including the DX issues, and the transition phases of trying to get drivers to work between protected, non, and DMA. Or the mhz/ghz race and 2mo hardware product cycles, and people dumping hardware left and right to be on top of it all while it was cheap.

With age comes...crankiness...and the ability to see what you do and don't like, as well as simplicity.

The reason that people like XP is it works, it works well and it's simple. Much like 2000, it does it's job it's hard to crash and continues to do what it's supposed to and at the end of the day they're both standing on one thing; they're low on bloat. And until MS can do the same with their next OS that they did with NT5/5.1 they'll continue to be out of touch with many of their core buyers.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo