Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Games for Windows Marketplace Coming, LIVE Gold Fees Going

Gamasutra has word that Microsoft has announced plans to introduce a Games for Windows marketplace similar to the Xbox LIVE marketplace. They also announce plans to offer a less console-centric Games for Windows LIVE service and confirm that they will be dropping the premium subscription fee the service carried for "Gold" multiplayer matchmaking that was a sticking point for so many. Here's a quote on the changes from Microsoft's Chris Satchell: "The first UI was good but it was too console-centric. It wasn't really what Windows gamers wanted. We have a new UI that's consistent with the way Windows gamers want to interact. It's free to you as a developer, and we're reducing the technical requirements. I believe, from hereon, Games for Windows Live is going to take off."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: new UI? Jul 23, 2008, 06:21 InBlack

Microsoft picking up their game?

Well it took them long enough, when was Steam released again??

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. new UI? Jul 22, 2008, 22:26 Kxmode

The first UI was good but it was too console-centric. It wasn't really what Windows gamers wanted. We have a new UI that's consistent with the way Windows gamers want to interact.

Look at SPORE. Look at modded WOW. The best UI is the one that's not there.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

11. No subject Jul 22, 2008, 20:07 Donkey_Punch

Pay for access on a PC that I normally am used to getting for free? Screw that, lol.

10. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 18:38 Beady

Its only Xbox live that dosent have dedicated servers. GFW live has hostable dedicated servers for the FPS titles (or games that need them).

Its basically now become a competitor to Gamespys throne. And about time too, since gamespy have seemingly become a monopoly and just produce utterly terrible server browsers and matchmaking tools that have driven PC multiplayer backwards over the last 5+ years.

9. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 17:27 Overon

Wow, microsoft listening to pc gamers? Hell must have frozen over.

Newsflash! I think I just saw a flying pig out of my window!

8. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 17:03 Roachmojo

I am positively stunned by this announcement...

7. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 16:17 sponge

I still don't quite grasp the concept of Live matches. So there are no dedicated servers and no server lists? Do players host matches on their own machines? Or do they start matches, which are then hosted by Microsoft servers?

I don't think "no dedicated servers" is a requirement, unless I mis-read something. Otherwise, it's just another middleware that handles friends list, messaging, matchmaking, etc. No different than Demonware and so on at it's core.

I also don't know of any restrictions that prevent server lists. Gears of War, for instance, still has a server list, although I wasn't able to get the PC version to even run.

6. You forgot the DX11 part.. Jul 22, 2008, 16:17 Verno

DX11 was announced as well with full backward compatibility for DX10/DX10.1. It's going to be available to Vista and future versions of Windows. I forget the rest of the features.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

5. But... Jul 22, 2008, 16:16 Ray Marden

...why do I want this?

At least they won't be charging me for free things anymore, but why would I want to limit my choices, customization, and access to solely M$?

I mean, what's the point or idea behind this? It's not like we can even argue that Micro$oft wants to control the PC market given how much damage it has caused and the lack of support it supplies.

So......?

If Micro$oft wants to help PC gaming I would prefer it focus on quality games than limited, low cost UIs.
Trailers and screenshots are not holding back PC gaming, guys.
Thinking the 360 has terrible online functionality,
Ray

-----
I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks; who's first?
http://www.flagshipped.com/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

4. ... Jul 22, 2008, 16:15 theyarecomingforyou

"The first UI was good"
I hated the GFWLive interface on PC - it was just a port of the X360 interface, which is fine for a console but terrible for PC.

NEway, it was stupid of them to try to make money from it when PC users have become accustomed to free multiplayer. It didn't contribute anything worthwhile and yet they wanted money for it. Hopefully the interface is significantly reworked and is adopted by most games, as the server browsers for most games are simply terrible (assuming GFWLive encompasses server browsers) - the only one that I actually like is the one used by Steam and even that could be improved.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn
This comment was edited on Jul 22, 16:16.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

3. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 16:14 Jerykk

I still don't quite grasp the concept of Live matches. So there are no dedicated servers and no server lists? Do players host matches on their own machines? Or do they start matches, which are then hosted by Microsoft servers?

2. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 16:11 MMORPGHoD

I'm surprised that MS actually did something. Dropping the subscription fee might actually make it worth looking at.

1. No subject Jul 22, 2008, 16:04 DangerDog

dedicated servers? bah! who needs 'em

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo