Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quake Live Trailer

GameTrailers has the debut trailer for Quake Live, id Software's upcoming free first-person shooter (thanks Ant and Digg). The clip shows off the Quake III Arena-style gameplay, and glimpses of the surrounding web interface.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 15:44 Jerykk

A rehash, a tired game, an antiquated game, a potentially quick return on the investment for the web interface with the advertising. Is there really no gore?

Tired? Antiquated? In my eyes, Q3 is still the king of deathmatch and 1v1. You may not find that appealing but that doesn't make it tired or antiquated.

As for gore, who cares? This isn't Manhunt or Soldier of Fortune. People don't play Q3 for the gore, they play it for the speed, skill and intensity.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 08:50 Overon

Of course this should be free. It's quake 3 which was released a decade ago (okay in dec 2008 it will be a decade). A rehash, a tired game, an antiquated game, a potentially quick return on the investment for the web interface with the advertising. Is there really no gore?
This comment was edited on Jul 22, 09:01.

20. Re: No subject Jul 22, 2008, 04:57 InBlack

Correct me if Im wrong:

So this will be free to play Quake3. With no gore.

Where is the revenue coming from? In-Game Advertising?

I have a nifty blue line!

19. No subject Jul 22, 2008, 04:40 TB

Quake Live is a great idea. The Q5 Arena project is also under way, along with the new doom and such. Luckily all in-house.

18. Re: ... Jul 22, 2008, 02:32 Jerykk

So why would I play a toned down version with stats it on a website?

Something to do during your lunch break? I agree that it is somewhat pointless, as everyone who plays/played Q3 already has it. Quake is too hardcore for casual players too so I don't see it being a big hit with them. That said, it's free and doesn't require any great investment of time or effort so I'm not against it.

On the other hand, I'd much rather see them do a proper Quake 5, though the likelihood of that happening with multiplatform development is basically zero.

17. Re: ... Jul 22, 2008, 02:16 Krovven

Yea I dont see the point of this either. I have the id collection on Steam and I dont play Quake 3 now. So why would I play a toned down version with stats it on a website?

----------------------------------------------------
Civilization Revolution, Grand Theft Auto IV, GRID

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

16. ... Jul 22, 2008, 00:31 theyarecomingforyou

I also agree with Carmack's assessment on all the crap games that are nothing more than fairly unimpressive tech demos.
Like Doom 3? BOOM!

NEway, I really don't get the point of this. It's great that they've spent time making a web interface and working on the backend but I don't get why they're bundling it with an old game - it's like creating a 100GBit internet connection and using it for instant messaging... it just seems a waste. I don't get why there's any hype around this and to me it simply reinforces how out of touch id is with the market.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

15. Re: Meh Jul 21, 2008, 23:49 Beaner

Is this what happens when corporate America gets highly excited about game revenues? Good God man we need some rebels in the industry to break these freaky trends.

14. Re: Meh Jul 21, 2008, 23:49 Dmitri_M

EZQuake is better.

13. Re: This is it?!?! Jul 21, 2008, 23:39 Kosumo

Look out, I think that may be poison troll bait (as in if you take it, he will respond with lyric from the glam rock band Poison's songs)

12. Re: This is it?!?! Jul 21, 2008, 23:06 Hyatus

While I agree that this isn't spectacular and probably won't "save the industry", I also agree with Carmack's assessment on all the crap games that are nothing more than fairly unimpressive tech demos.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 23:07.

11. Re: This is it?!?! Jul 21, 2008, 23:00 nin

The game in which Carmack has insulted other developers over?

Yeah, I don't see how this is going to be a huge smash hit...

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10. Re: This is it?!?! Jul 21, 2008, 22:06 Jerykk

Now somebody just needs to remake Tribes and make it available online. Legions doesn't count.

9. Re: This is it?!?! Jul 21, 2008, 21:14 MuzixMon

I'm sure there will not be any gore at all when they do release it. Since it's going to be a freebie and all they want to appeal to a wider audience and having all the blood and gibs would turn off too many newcomers...
YEAH RIGHT!!?!! Where's the gore? It's not Quake without it!

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

8. This is it?!?! Jul 21, 2008, 21:01 JohnBirshire

This is the second coming for PC Gaming? God's gift to gaming? The game that is going to save the industry? The game in which Carmack has insulted other developers over?

HAHAHAHAHA ROFLMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAH LOOLLOLOLOOOLOLOL

Yawn.

7. Re: Meh Jul 21, 2008, 20:26 manic half

they removed the gore on the trailer i saw :<

6. Re: boy howdy Jul 21, 2008, 19:41 Bucky

Hm, seems I have a plugin problem with Firefox 3. I can hear it, but I can't see it.

Edit: Sweetness. I've really missed the good 'ole Quake deathmatch. The Unreals never did it for me, and Quake 4....well, it was a decent single player game.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 19:48.

5. boy howdy Jul 21, 2008, 19:25 Snapdad

I sure hope the game doesn't buffer as much as the trailer did.

4. Re: Meh Jul 21, 2008, 19:04 Jerykk

I think the idea is to not make it look so insane so that people who don't play quake will get immediately turned off by it

I would think that the speed and high flying over-the-top madness would be the main appeal. At least, that's the appeal to me.

3. Re: Meh Jul 21, 2008, 18:48 Fantaz

graphics? who needs graphics??

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo