Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Computer mouse headed for extinction Jul 22, 2008, 10:16 InBlack

Did anyone read that Liquid Metal Cooler article???

All I have to say is, sign me up? Where can I buy one!?

Fucking been waiting for this for ages...:)

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Computer mouse headed for extinction Jul 21, 2008, 19:10 Creston

We can only fucking hope so. I'm tired of RSI...

Creston

8. Computer mouse headed for extinction Jul 21, 2008, 18:41 LemonJoose

A touchscreen on your laptop might be a better option than the trackpad, but I think the mouse will be around for a very long time. However, there might be some new mouse innovations, such as an additional scroll wheel or small thumbstick to add better control options for a full 3D desktop interface. And yes, I do think some voice and gesture commands will also start to become useful in certain contexts.

7. Re: Mouse Jul 21, 2008, 15:13 dubfanatic

Hey, aren't these "analysts" the same people who told us we'd have flying cars by now?

6. Re: Mouse Jul 21, 2008, 14:18 Pigeon

I need me one of these jobs where I can talk from my rear end, people take me seriously and pay me heaps of money.

All of the examples given are in niches where it isn't practical to have a mouse, or keyboard for that matter, plugged in. As far as touch screens go..., other than being impractical for anything but simple computer use, I'd be cleaning my monitor every 5 minutes. I can't stand big ole smudgy finger prints all over my screen. People already can't seem to keep their grubby fat sausage fingers off my monitor when they feel the need to point something out.

5. Re: Mouse Jul 21, 2008, 13:05 CJ_Parker

If the mouse goes extinct at all then it's more likely going to be replaced by those fingertip sensor thingies that were recently shown off at some event I can't quite recall. But touchscreens and facial recognition surely won't cause the mouse to go extinct. They might replace the mouse in some very specific applications or devices where relatively little user input is required like mobile entertainment or home entertainment apps/devices (music/movie players of all sorts) but other than that it ain't gonna happen.  

4. Smaller PCs Cause Worry for Industry. Jul 21, 2008, 12:42 LittleMe

This is what happens when MS makes an OS like Vista that can not run in a low profile method. It has a big system footprint that is forced on the user, which drives up system costs significantly. Even XP is quite bloated compared to what is possible. The popular Linux distributions follow this trend of code and resource bloat too.

Nice to see the market working to realize that having a low resource intensive OS is of value too.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

3. Re: Mouse Jul 21, 2008, 12:41 Frijoles

The computer mouse is set to die out in the next five years and will be usurped by touch screens and facial recognition, analysts believe.

Analysts cash check and laugh at business that paid them for their shit analysis.

2. Re: Mouse Jul 21, 2008, 11:38 MMORPGHoD

Seconded.

Touch screens aren't going to replace mice on desktops and I don't see myself using a touch screen on a laptop. Imagine eating Doritos and using your 24" LCD touch screen for a day. Mobile devices with touch screens, sure. Trying to use something like that in a FPS? Not gonna happen.

That SpaceNavigator is similar to the SpaceOrb 360, which was also originally for CAD use and never caught on for anything else (although I did find it handy in games).

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 11:51.

1. Mouse Jul 21, 2008, 11:13 banddirector

Computer mouse heading for extinction

I call BS .....

-----------------------------------
The HD-DVD: silver medalist the most recent format war, a contest where everybody except gold is taken out back and shot through the head.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo