Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I re-watched Batman Begins on DVD last night for the first time since seeing it in theaters, and I have to say it was even better than I remembered it. I could not be more psyched for the sequel.

Psyched Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Pac-Txt Pac-Man meets Zork. Thanks Baudkarma.
Killer Whale.
Link: Top 5 Disappointing Videogame Sequels.
Top 10 Computer Game NPCs.
Stories: Pill-popping Pets. Thanks j.c.f.
It's the law: No sagging pants in Chicago suburb.
Science: Makemake Is Named the Newest Plutoid.
Sweeping Panoramas, Courtesy of a Robot. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Image: Drunk-O-Vision V.
Media: The Superintendent's Sorrow. Thanks Jer.
COD4 Neila: Teh Rocket Man.
Worst job interview ever (Human Giant).
Small Fearless Dog Annoying Moose.
Follow-up: No butter for Dee-Dee: Giant lobster saved.
Teh Funny: Foxtrot.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Imax Jul 21, 2008, 13:12 theSAWzall

I thought it was just me or because I was seeing it at the Drive-In (not the best screen or sound). I couldn't concentrate on the movie as people were walking past and cars occasionally starting up. Whole sections of the plot didn't connect for me.

Know I have to decide if I want to see the whole thing again at a proper theater or not.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Top 10 Computer Game NPCs Jul 21, 2008, 12:03 Mr. Tact

Missing from the list: Deckard Cain from D2  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: No subject Jul 21, 2008, 11:02 Brad

Jim...

I said the same thing until I heard of the performance given by Ledger and his role as The Joker.

After seeing the movie...it's Insanely Good! Ledger's performance is some of the best acting I have ever seen. Seriously, he truly put any critics to rest about his acting ability with this performance! The whole movie is directed and edited brilliantly. Batman was awesome as well, but you find yourself wanting more Joker and when he shows up he delivers the goods everytime!!!

The only bad part of the movie was knowing Heath is gone and isn't around to enjoy all the accolades.

RIP Heath.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 11:06.

13. No subject Jul 21, 2008, 10:44 Jim

OK I really don't get it with all this Bat-Mania. There have been a gazillion Batman movies now, and I had seen a couple of the earlier ones and didn't think they were all that great. Is it because this one is in Imax? I'm not really a fan of the genre so I doubt I'm going to go see this one unless it is on TV and I have absolutely nothing better to do with 2.5 hours of my time.

Jim

12. Re: It was damned good... Jul 21, 2008, 10:26 InBlack

The Batman movie with Keaton is a classic, Even with the campy style and the melodramatic dark comedy flare that Tim Burton is famous. In my book Keaton is still the best Bruce Wayne, with Bale coming in a close second. Havent seen the new Joker yet but Nicholsons preformance was the best part of Burton's movie.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 10:26.

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Imax Jul 21, 2008, 10:15 xXBatmanXx

The fighting scenes, hand to hand I mean, were still to quickly edited to truly appreciate the raw violence of Batman's fighting style.

I haven't seen the new one yet, but that was my complaint from Begins - it was a jerky camera and up close - doesn't really do justice.

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Top 10 Computer Game NPCs Jul 21, 2008, 10:00 FatalTourist

They are missing the best: Floyd from Planetfall.
He was wonderful robot that followed you around and made hilarious little comments.
Best. NPC. Ever.

Escape Pod Films

9. Re: Imax Jul 20, 2008, 23:42 nin

I seem to be the only person who was slightly disappointed with the new Batman movie.

Na, it wasn't just you. There were at least 3-4 times in the film where the action suddenly jumps to the next scene and I wondered what happened:

SST:

Batman dives out the window to save Rachel. Suddenly, it's a new scene - what exactly happened to the Joker upstairs and all the hostages? He just said "Fuck it", packed up and went home? He was there for Harvey, wasn't he, and Harvey was still in the building.

The Joker talks enough smack to get the cop to fight him in the holding cell. All of a sudden, they're out and the Joker is using him as a hostage. Was the door unlocked???

The Joker somehow steals a cop car and escapes the police station, while being chased. We only see a second of this, and we don't know what exactly happened. On to the next scene!

I'm sure there's more too, those are just off the top of my head. And granted, you don't need every one of those details, but it seems odd that those pieces are missing. The action suddenly jumps and I'm thinking "Wait! What happened there?" I can't help but wonder if there's some huge 4 hour directors cut coming to dvd.

My gripe of some of the fight scenes are the same with most movies these days - the camera is way too fucking close, and you're not entirely sure what exactly is happening. I have no idea how this got to be so fucking popular.

That being said, I still feel it was a very good movie, probably the best I've seen this year, so far. It's not perfect by any means, but they accomplish a lot, I think. And I'm already looking forward to seeing it again...

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"
This comment was edited on Jul 20, 23:43.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Imax Jul 20, 2008, 23:31 PHJF

I thought Knight had problem with focus, but I suppose the chaotic nature of Joker lent that to the film.

It was like a series of very loosely interconnected events, and it didn't feel like there was any one particular climax to the film in whole.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Imax Jul 20, 2008, 23:09 Jerykk

The performances of Heath Ledger and even Aaron Eckhart were fantastic, some unexpected moments were great, but the part I had trouble with was the fight scenes. Frankly, they were awful, and almost non-existent as well.

Yeah, the fight choreography was pretty simplistic. Batman dispatched most of his opponents with a single punch. Then again, he wasn't really facing off against ninjas or anything.

6. Re: Imax Jul 20, 2008, 22:58 JohnBirshire

I seem to be the only person who was slightly disappointed with the new Batman movie. The performances of Heath Ledger and even Aaron Eckhart were fantastic, some unexpected moments were great, but the part I had trouble with was the fight scenes. Frankly, they were awful, and almost non-existent as well.

Also the building I work in, the Chase building,

I used to work in the Chase building at 120 South LaSalle Street. But we were Bank One back then, before the merger. But anyways, ironic to see a couple other people on bluesnews work/worked there. Was also cool to see quite a few areas I recognized in the movie. In two scenes they even forgot to take "Chicago" off of the landmarks, they were clearly visible despite this taking place in "Gotham".

5. Top 5 Dissapointing Videogame Sequels. Jul 20, 2008, 22:45 JohnBirshire

Master of Orion 3, most disappointing sequel ever. I'd even rate that a slight notch over Deus Ex 2.

edit

Oh, and with the Top 10 NPCs, I couldn't believe the flying skull from Planescape: Torment, Morte, was not on the list. Then again, he was technically a playable character and not an NPC, but they already broke that rule with Dogmeat. *but was still cool to see Dogmeat on there*

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 23:01.

4. Re: Imax Jul 20, 2008, 21:21 Grounded

The villain in Batman Begins was lame. Saw Dark Knight today on the IMAX

I think that Ledger stole the movie. Christian Bale sleep walked through the role of Bruce Wayne and surprisingly Aaron Eckhart did a stand out job as Harvey Dent.

The fighting scenes, hand to hand I mean, were still to quickly edited to truly appreciate the raw violence of Batman's fighting style.

My favorite scene of course was the large trailer tractor chase through the streets of Chicago. Also the building I work in, the Chase building, get its own night shot during a pan of the city. Interesting to see places I tread over everyday on my way to the drudgery that is my job being used in a Batman movie.

I like the film and think I need to see it one more time to take in all it offered.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 21:21.

3. Re: Imax Jul 20, 2008, 21:04 nin

Top 10 Computer Game NPCs.

Ah, Minsc... So many great lines there. Comic relief even in the darkest of times.

And no mention of GlaDOS...

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Imax Jul 20, 2008, 19:45 Techie714

My wife & I are seeing it on Friday in Imax. Man if there was ever a movie for the HD video & sound it's this movie. I cant wait. We tried to see it this weekend but all Imax showings were sold out.

R.I.P George Carlin 1937-2008

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

1. It was damned good... Jul 20, 2008, 19:33 Paranoid Jack

My wife and I saw The Dark Knight today. It was extremely well done. And after picking up some lunch and getting a hair cut. I set myself to do the weekly yard work. Later I popped into the house to get a drink and guess what was playing on the TV? The Batman movie with Keaton. It was even worse than I remember it.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo