Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rebellion acquires Razorworks

GamesIndustry.biz has news that Rebellion has announced the acquisition of Razorworks (Ford Racing), which follows up on recent reports that Empire Interactive was looking to divest itself of its last internal studio (story). Word is:

Rebellion has announced that it has acquired the former internal development studio at Empire Interactive, Razorworks, and that the 30 staff will move across to Rebellion's own Oxford set-up.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: well say by Golly.... Jul 21, 2008, 01:11 Jerykk

Look at both Tron and AVP 2. Heck, while we are at it, and in NOLF.

Uh, I've played all three and aside from their engines, they are significantly different games...

Also, what's with all the Quake references? AVP2 wasn't even remotely like Quake. Quake was much, much faster and high-flying.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. well say by Golly.... Jul 21, 2008, 00:14 Shataan

another illustrious original AVP forumer rears his head! Good to see you Ventura. It has definately been too long. Yeah, Sado and I are still around. So is Dev-null. lol

I really liked the 1st AVP movie best. Altho it still FEELS cartoonish. A tad too clean/cutezy. Unlike the Alien movies grittyness. AVP R, was a royal clusterpooch imho. That movie really hurt the movie franchise end of it.

I agree. The gaming potential hasn`t been touched yet. An Unreal 3 powered AVP would truly rock. But the level design has to be there. Especially for the mp end of it. The designers`d have to approach it from anything BUT a gamer level designer mentality. As in, not quakelike. Or else they will fall into old bad habits et al. ;p

As long as they can suck the players into the gameworld, suspend disbelief and all that, it`s all good. I really hope we don`t get just great skins with generic quaker play.

My main problem with Monolith has always beenthat they have a pretty unique game design recipe for both design and visuals. It is like they cookie cut their games, and just use different yet similar skin/character design.

Look at both Tron and AVP 2. Heck, while we are at it, and in NOLF. You could drop the characters from either game into the other games, and not skip a beat.

AVP however imho is not your average franchise, and requires anything but going by a set game design recipe. In the end, whoever does Aliens/Preds/Marines, if they stick to the movie visuals, designs, sounds formula.... ya can`t go wrong. So far, GearBox is on their game in this respect. Here`s hoping! ;p

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 00:15.

14. Re: No subject Jul 20, 2008, 17:42 Ventura

Wow, there's been a Shataan and a Sadogoat post in here. There's some names from the past

Strangely enough, I ended up preferring the second AvP to the first. I became a bit disillusioned with the first, however, and didn't follow the progress of the sequel even nearly as closely. That might have something to do with it; your own anticipation for a game can often kill it.

From time to time over the past few years I've wondered what you two thought about the AvP movies that have since been released. Whatever your opinions, I think it's fair to state that the franchise's potential hasn't even nearly been reached, and the same could be said for the games also.

13. ... Jul 20, 2008, 16:10 theyarecomingforyou

AVP2 was generic, lacking in atmosphere and the graphics were very "Monolith" (ie. wooden character models). It was thoroughly disappointing, as the original had intense atmosphere and while the singleplayer campaign wasn't particularly exciting the multiplayer was exceptional. It's of little concern to me how poor Rebellion's other game were as AVP was brilliant - the atmosphere, the way the aliens could run along all surfaces are restore health by eating their opponents, the Predator's returning disc, etc. There were so many little details that worked so well and were very true to the Alien / Predator films. It's just a shame that Rebellion didn't continue with such high calibre releases.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

12. Re: No subject Jul 20, 2008, 15:02 Beamer

AvP felt like an Aliens movie to me. Dark, tense, claustrophic, dangerous.

AvP2 felt like an FPS to me. Any FPS. Bland, vanilla FPS. Competent, arguably, but you could have taken the marine out and put Duke Nukem there, or the Doom guy there, or any other space marine and I'd have noticed no difference.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. No subject Jul 20, 2008, 14:28 Wallshadows

AvP 2 was more like an experimental off shot for the franchise where as AvP was more in tune to the Alien universe. Given this fact and that Monolith had no context to take into hand from either of the Predator or Alien worlds, I think they did the best they could. It's not like they had a story line to follow which was linked [greatly] to Alien so I think they just tried to capture their own vision of the AvP world.

The difference is is that Monolith and Rebellion are two fairly different companies in their styles vary. It's kind of like how James Cameron made a different style of Alien than that of Ridley Scott. They are both excellent but the over all feeling from the two take on seperate directions on their layout and content.

Anyway, we could sit here all day and try to convince each other that AvP 2 was either a good or bad game but it all boils down to opinion and taste. The one thing we can all agree on though is that we need a AvP 3 game that continues the story rather than divert it to another unlinked world.
This comment was edited on Jul 20, 14:53.

10. Re: No subject Jul 20, 2008, 14:12 Shataan

"I believe Monolith did an excellent job at creating a viable, if not great, stepping stone for the overall lacking AvP franchise."

Well, imho what we didn`t need was the Monolith-ized anime` quaker version of Rebellions AVP PC. Rebellions AVP tho lacking, felt more like the movies we fell in love with. Ancient history tho.

A dev team has to ask themselves this... "just cause we CAN do a thing, SHOULD we do a thing?" 1 step forward, but 2 steps back usually is not the way to go. With a movie series so set in stone, it needs a different treatment than your average shooter imho.

Since Rebellion stayed more focussed in their 1st AVP offering, I`d love to see them involved in AVP 3. They did after all originate the game. But after Judge Dredd, I started leaning away from them.

After what Monolith did to AVP 2? I hope they stay away from AVP 3, far far away. lol I did like their A.I. and fire effects, and the bullet time stuff in F.E.A.R. tho.

GearBoxs` AL()ENS: Colonial Marines is looking good. Not an AVP game, but they seemed to have naturally focussed towards what the AVP community has always wanted. The stuff GB is doing, we literally begged for..... for like ever. Co op mode for 1. The game more tighly movie based. Peeps want badly to experience in the 1st person, what we saw our fav characters experience in the movies.

GBs visuals so far are detail amazing. Not candycolored anime`. So far, it looks movie faithful. IF Colonial Marines delivers, I hope they sign on to do an Unreal 3 powered AVP.

9. Enemy Engaged Jul 20, 2008, 07:59 Shadowcat

Unfortunately, I think the chances of another serious flight simulation from Razorworks is slim-to-nothing.

That said, there is an EECH2, which is an update to the original EECH, made (I think) by the same people who did a similar update to Rowan's "Battle of Britain" a few years ago.

http://www.eech2.com/home.html
http://www.worthdownloading.com/game.php?gid=2453

I don't know whether this is better than the highly-modded original game, but I thought it was worth a mention.

8. Re: ... Jul 20, 2008, 02:18 MTechnik

well, hope springs eternal

7. Re: No subject Jul 20, 2008, 01:35 AcidDrone

I actually really liked avp2. the expansion was terrible though.

6. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 21:37 Rigs

Actually, I'm more concerned about Razorworks. Aside from Ford Racing, they made the still unbeaten combat chopper-sim Enemy Engaged: Apache vs Havoc (at least until DCS's Lock-on expansion Black Shark is available) and it's sequel. One hell of a sim and very detailed, like Falcon 4 for choppers. Most people only know of Longbow 2, but EEAH and EECH (Comanche vs Hokum) were much more serious... would love to see another one made...

*shrugs*

Oh well...

=-Rigs-=

Driver of the black and blue 2007 Bluesnews Dodge Avenger

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

5. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 21:15 Wallshadows

I'd love a proper sequel to that game, as AVP2 was terrible.

I believe Monolith did an excellent job at creating a viable, if not great, stepping stone for the overall lacking AvP franchise. While the Aliens' or Predator's campaigns were not up to snuff as that of the human campaign in terms of atmosphere or suspense (which I thought felt the same in AvP 1), it still created a nice atmosphere and remained loyal to the plot. I cannot say the same for the expansion though, Primal Hunt. That was a downer.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the Space Jokey and his ship survived the first blast of LV426 - Acheron- and it was the telemetry found on his ship that lead the Corporation to LV-1201. So in a way, they are linked. It's just so vague that it really isn't much of anything...

----------------------------------------------------

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 21:21.

4. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 20:11 Lorcin

Yeah seems kinda fitting - rebellion make games which would be called popcorn movies in a different medium.

Then they buy a company famous for a game based on driving fords (you know thoose really sucky cars you drive when you can't get anything else for the money and prey it doesn't rust to pieces before you've finished signing the papers).

Then again maybe:

Ford Racing + Incoming (shooting aliens) = Redneck Paradise!

3. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 19:59 Sadogoat

While I enjoyed the original AvP, Rebellion went on to make a godawful Judge Dredd game that barely merited the licence. They hadn't even learned mistakes from AvP since - years onward - they still omitted an ingame server browser for multiplayer which was pretty much a basic standard feature by that point.

And what ever happened to their much-announced plans to make the two Dredd movies? It's about time someone did some justice to the character on a cinema screen after that travesty of a Stallone effort.

2. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 19:59 Sadogoat

While I enjoyed the original AvP, Rebellion went on to make a godawful Judge Dredd game that barely merited the licence. They hadn't even learned mistakes from AvP since - years onward - they still omitted an ingame server browser for multiplayer which was pretty much a basic standard feature by that point.

And what ever happened to their much-announced plans to make the two Dredd movies? It's about time someone did some justice to the character on a cinema screen after that travesty of a Stallone effort.

1. ... Jul 19, 2008, 19:06 theyarecomingforyou

Wow. I didn't realise Rebellion were still going. I loved Aliens Versus Predator - that game had so much atmosphere and the graphics were great for the time. I'd love a proper sequel to that game, as AVP2 was terrible (and created by a different developer) - the upcoming Aliens: Colonial Marines game doesn't look to be anything special (though I'm still hopeful).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo