Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Project Origin Details

Monolith has issued a list of details about Project Origin, their upcoming F.E.A.R. sequel:

Intense close-quarters action and paranormal suspense combine in the sequel to the 2005 smash hit, F.E.A.R. Incredibly smart enemies and over-the-top FX bombard players as they race to save whatís left of the city of Auburn from Almaís ghostly rage.

Story: Beginning shortly before the ending of F.E.A.R., a Special Forces squad is on a routine mission when the city of Auburn is rocked by a supernatural explosion. Alma, a girl with immense power and a thirst for revenge, has unleashed her wrath upon the city and thrown it into chaos. The squad must combat enemy forces and the supernatural as they struggle to find a way to stop Alma and uncover the mysterious forces arrayed against them before itís too late.

Key Features:

• Strategic environmental combat opportunities available to both you and your enemies
        • Slow time using your characterís enhanced reflexes
        • In your face close-quarter action in a variety of indoor and outdoor environments
        • Battle all-new enemies that employ advanced combat tactics
        • Test your nerves and face your FEARS as you battle new characters and unravel a terrifying mystery
        • Utilize the world interaction enhancements to create instant cover or remove obstacles
        • Play with and against friends in multiplayer competition
        • Enhanced graphics engine takes action horror to new heights through enhanced visuals and effects
        • Enemies behave realistically and use the environment against you through vastly enhanced enemy Artificial Intelligence
        • Maintains the authenticity of the Alma storyline and players will know this is the only place to continue the saga

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: ... Jul 19, 2008, 20:30 Jerykk

Surely they can't own the rights to characters they ripped directly from the movie The Ring?

To be fair, the whole "pale girl with long black hair covering her face" gimmick is pretty much ubiquitous in Japanese horror.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. ... Jul 19, 2008, 19:09 theyarecomingforyou

Sierra owns the rights to the FEAR name and will be making a game called FEAR 2, although it probably won't have much in common with the original game, since Monolith owns the rights to the characters, etc.
Surely they can't own the rights to characters they ripped directly from the movie The Ring?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

30. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 16:13 Aero

You guys need some http://noscript.net action.

29. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 15:47 CreamyBlood

I really hate those fucking popup advertisements...

Ahh yes. The year is 2008 and some people still see ads in their browsers. It's really mind boggling, but I suppose somebody has to support all of those 'impressions'...

28. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 15:24 DangerDog

Key Features:

Another office building romp with some powersuit / mech like action mixed in.

Outdoor environments are just oversized hallways in disguise with a lowres skybox instead of a ceiling.

Scripted enemy movements to make it appear like thereís actual AI going on, itís really just carefully choreographed pathing.

Maintains the authenticity of the Alma storyline, but after the sixth office cubicle you clear out youíll forget that thereís even a story at all.

27. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 14:50 Zaibach

I really hate those fucking popup advertisements that you can't close or is impossible to find where to close them. Just what I want is 10 seconds of not being able to read this story. Makes me not want to come to this site and just stick to VE3d or Shack. Seriously, WTF.

Reload the page right after it's loaded.

Personally, I prefer that one little popup instead of a million ads that invades all around the story I'm trying to read on other gaming sites. And most of the time, those ads will give you a seizure, be annoying and have sounds.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 14:50.

26. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 14:17 ledhead1969

I really hate those fucking popup advertisements that you can't close or is impossible to find where to close them. Just what I want is 10 seconds of not being able to read this story. Makes me not want to come to this site and just stick to VE3d or Shack. Seriously, WTF.

25. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 13:17 Elf Shot The Food

"Does this imply some other company is going to be making a FEAR 2 like OFP2 and FarCry 2? "

It does. Sierra owns the rights to the FEAR name and will be making a game called FEAR 2, although it probably won't have much in common with the original game, since Monolith owns the rights to the characters, etc.

24. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 12:57 Aero

Maintains the authenticity of the Alma storyline and players will know this is the only place to continue the saga

Does this imply some other company is going to be making a FEAR 2 like OFP2 and FarCry 2?

I liked the first one. It had good AI and the effects made the gunfights ridiculous, and the horror, "boo!" stuff was better than most. It did have its problems though, the repetitive levels, the sort of goofy story. It probably would have been better as a straight action-shooter without all of the supernatural stuff.

Monolith is a pretty good outfit. Minus a couple misfires, they've been making some of the best fps games since the mid nineties. I also appreciate the fact that after BUILD, they've been rolling their own engines rather than using the off-the-shelf stuff that makes too many FPSes the same games with different graphics.

23. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 12:47 Fang

the first game's story made no sense. hope they hire a writer this time.

Looks like it will be more regurgitated tripe again.

22. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 11:46 Rosco

I just wish I could have pumped a few rounds into that fat-ass at the end of the game and make them count.  
Consoles are schwag.

21. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 11:05 Prez

The game's engine probably has the least effect on how "consolized" a game will end up being. If it's being designed for XBOX 360, then the most I can generate now is cautious optimism. Mass Effect turned out great despite its console roots, so all is not lost.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

20. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 07:48 CreamyBlood

I wish they would. I normally buy used sci-fi books but lately my entertainment dollar has been going to brand new twelve dollar books instead of games.

Much more entertaining then the schlock I can find in PC video games these days.

Of course, I could just be getting old and jaded....

19. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 07:38 dryden555

the first game's story made no sense. hope they hire a writer this time.

18. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 07:16 CreamyBlood

Unless you're telling me they started completely from scratch, made an engine for the Xbox360, and then poorly ported it to the PC. In which case I question your sanity. Are you trying to say that a PC sequel to a PC game is going to be a poor console port even though it basically uses the same god damn engine?

Well, duh. Console controllers are limited, so is the design choice revolving around them.

Like Jerryk said. It changes Everything.

I'm going back to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, for some reason. Just need some deep space capital ship combat with a story. Carry on...

17. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 06:28 Jerykk

The engine the game uses was built primarily for usage on the PC.

Eh? I'm not talking about the engine, just the game itself. The engine itself is just a modified version of the original engine. It's not the engine that's the problem. It's the fact that the game is designed around a gamepad and television. This affects everything from level design, movement speed, HUD, health, aim assist, hitboxes, weapon design, etc.

From what I've seen and read thus far, such influences are present in the game. The player movement is slower. The HUD is huge and bloated. Health regenerates, which greatly affects the flow and nature of combat. When I actually play the game, I'll probably find other examples.

There are obvious differences when a game is designed for a console instead of a PC. If you disagree, I must question your sanity. With that said, I still think Project Origin looks pretty cool. I just know it would be a lot cooler if it were designed to take advantage of the PC's inherent strengths and audience.

16. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 05:55 NKD

Um, the game isn't being designed for the PC. 360 is the lead SKU. If you watch any of the dev walkthroughs, diaries, trailers, etc, you'll clearly see 360 buttons.

So? I'm not talking about which they choose to market the most heavily. The engine the game uses was built primarily for usage on the PC.

Unless you're telling me they started completely from scratch, made an engine for the Xbox360, and then poorly ported it to the PC. In which case I question your sanity. Are you trying to say that a PC sequel to a PC game is going to be a poor console port even though it basically uses the same god damn engine?

Seriously, arguing semantics because it is multiplatform just reeks of the bitter anti-console rhetoric that fills this site. It's basically just FEAR 2. Only changes Ive seen are Replacing medpacks with regenerating health, and big armor refills with smaller refills off of enemies, and a few enhancements to the engine.

I know its fun to run around and flame anything that isn't PC exclusive, but I still haven't seen any concrete arguments that somehow this is going to be a "crappy console port" when it uses an engine that originated on the PC, and is a sequel to a primarily PC game. Just because they market to the largest audience doesn't make it a crappy port. A PC game doesn't have to be PC exclusive to be good. I judge every game on its individual merits. If I didn't, I'd just be another anti-console or pro-console sheep.

Project Origin is simple. If you liked the original, you will like this. If you didn't, then you won't. Anyone who says it doesn't look like more of the exact same isn't really paying attention.

PC gamers are starting to look like Star Trek fans, an angry little snobby niche upset that their world is decaying largely due to their own actions. I'm just glad I am immune to falling into that kind of mind set. I've played PC games for 20 years, watched science fiction TV and movies about the same length of time, and somehow managed to avoid becoming some kind of fanboy.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 06:02.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 05:22 manic half

are you kidding, FEAR multiplayer was a blast. utter chaos that was fun.

14. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 05:18 Jerykk

Given that the game engine appears to be an enhanced version of the original, I think it being "developed from the ground up for PC" is obvious.

Um, the game isn't being designed for the PC. 360 is the lead SKU. If you watch any of the dev walkthroughs, diaries, trailers, etc, you'll clearly see 360 buttons.

13. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 05:03 JohnBirshire

such a 2005 smash hit they had to give away the multiplayer for anyone to play the generic piece of shit.

Shrug, I thought it was kind of cool that they released their multiplayer for free. All this bitching about gaming companies like Funcom with constant comments like "corporate money grubbing asshats screwing people for money", etc...but when a company does something like this and gives something away for free, some people still bitch. Kind of hypocritical IMHO.

But anyways, I downloaded it and played it for awhile. It didn't have tremendous replay value and wasn't groundbreaking by any means, but I was able to kill quite a few hours with it. Even recorded some of it and posted a video, I checked back a year later out of curiosity and it had 36,000+ views, wtf?! Obviously some people are grateful they released it for free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW83cff_zxY

Yes F.E.A.R. may not have been the second coming for PC Gaming, but for what it was trying to be "atmospherically scary", the end result was much better than most other games trying to do the same. *Doom3*

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo