Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, the Dark Knight debuts today, and I could not be more eager to see it. Unfortunately, I am apparently not the only one, as it is sold out all over, and I have not secured tickets in advance. This means it may be a while before I can manage to see it, so if you see me walking around humming with my hands over my ears it's because I am trying to avoid spoilers.

In Demand Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: The Lone Ninja.
Burger Restaurant 2.
Links: 'Watchmen' Trailer to Comic Comparison. Thanks nin.
Totally Looks Like… Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: Gas tanks drilled on trucks, fuel stolen. Thanks Devicer. This will end in flaming justice.
Leg missing; if found, please call skydiver. Thanks Devicer.
With this fake wife, I divorce thee.
Media: Counter-Strike - You Got Owned By A Five Year Old.
Mario Hamster World.
Hot Brass. Kudos to the comrade who prudently disarms him.
Follow-up: F.D.A. Lifts Tomato Warning.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: No subject Jul 19, 2008, 20:53 nin

like many regular movies shown at IMAX it isn't a true IMAX experience. Its regular sized film stretched to the IMAX size which look cool but you don't get the dense, ultra sharp, highly saturated colors of the IMAX film format. Film frames for IMAX are the size of a postcard and is insanely expensive to use hence its rarity

Parts of the movie were filmed with Imax cameras. The aspect ratio seems to change from scene to scene, at an Imax showing. The first section of the movie, where we meet the Joker, took up the entire screen (closer to a 4:3 format), while other sections were in a traditional widescreen format.

Having said that, the picture quality (of Dark Knight) in no way suffers or looks bad on an Imax screen, in my opinion.

I would imagine, in a regular screening, the entire movie would be in widescreen, and have no aspect ratio changes...

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. No subject Jul 19, 2008, 13:50 Hump

I wouldn't mind seeing it in the drive-in later, but would rather see it on a decent screen first and IMAX would be awesome.

like many regular movies shown at IMAX it isn't a true IMAX experience. Its regular sized film stretched to the IMAX size which look cool but you don't get the dense, ultra sharp, highly saturated colors of the IMAX film format. Film frames for IMAX are the size of a postcard and is insanely expensive to use hence its rarity

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

19. Re: Batman IMAX Jul 18, 2008, 23:28 meezookeewee

The Dark Knight is easily the best movie of the year, and is easily the best comic book movie ever made. Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker was mind-blowing. Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent/Two Face is incredible. Any future comic-book film has to measure up to the Dark Knight, and I think it's going to be really difficult to accomplish that.

18. Re: Batman IMAX Jul 18, 2008, 22:09 sponge

Saw Dark Knight in IMAX at around noon today, as it was the only time they had tickets still. The theater was probably 2/3rd full. Was pretty good, maybe a bit too long, but as someone who's not really a comic book fan, it was pretty deep and not just a mindless summer action flick.

17. Blackout Jul 18, 2008, 20:11 Kxmode

I won't be visiting many sites until I watch TDK myself. There's too many deuchebags online.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

16. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2008, 20:02 WarPig

...profiting even indirectly from someone's death just isnt right....

Like when I was 16 and applied for a job after the kid who had it before died in a traffic accident? True story.

Ok, it wasn't like I went in the next day; I probably waited a couple weeks AND my best friend already worked there AND I had already been considering applying for a job but I still felt very weird about it. I just made sure it looked like I didn't know anything about why they needed the position filled. It turned out to be a shitty job anyway.

GO SEAHAWKS!

15. Re: Spoilers? Jul 18, 2008, 19:55 WarPig

Darth Vader IS Batman's Father....

He was already dead through the entire movie...

... and it turns out he was Keyser Soze all along!

GO SEAHAWKS!

14. No subject Jul 18, 2008, 15:39 strich

We just got back from seeing it.

man, it's hot outside.

----
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

13. Re: Batman IMAX Jul 18, 2008, 14:07 nin

Tonight we're going to party like it's 1989!

http://wcbstv.com/entertainment/dark.knight.tickets.2.774172.html

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/dark-knight-sold-out-sold-out-sold-out/

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Witcher Enhanced Edition vid Jul 18, 2008, 14:01 Krovven

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37087.html

----------------------------------------------------
Civilization Revolution, Grand Theft Auto IV, GRID

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

11. Batman IMAX Jul 18, 2008, 13:35 theSAWzall

I've got friends going to see it in IMAX next week. I already had plans to go to a drive-in theater on Saturday, but didn't know the movies showing. It was announced yesterday to be Batman TDK.

I wouldn't mind seeing it in the drive-in later, but would rather see it on a decent screen first and IMAX would be awesome.

10. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2008, 13:35 xXBatmanXx

I never go to theaters on opening day or on the weekends. Go during the week when you have the benefit of a more sane pace.

I am going next week during a matinee to the IMAX - that way I can sit where I want to.

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

9. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2008, 13:14 DG

I wonder if there would be such interest in this movie if Ledger didn't end up six feet under.

DOH! Mark your spoilers!!!

That's no spoiler. The Joker actor, Heath Ledger, died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs. Surprised if you managed to miss that

FWIW I've not come across anything that suggested to me they were trying to use his death to their benefit. Actually they seemed to be quite careful not to.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 13:17.

8. No subject Jul 18, 2008, 12:04 Cabezone

Spoilers? It's not like Batman is gonna die.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

7. F.D.A. Lifts Tornato Warning Jul 18, 2008, 11:53 LittleMe

Wow, the FDA issues tornado warnings! Who knew!

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. Re: Spoilers? Jul 18, 2008, 11:43 Syntarsus

The Joker was Batman's sled.

5. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2008, 11:25 kanniballl

...profiting even indirectly from someone's death just isnt right....

It's hard to really argue for or against in this case.

If the studios were actively milking Ledger's death in the commercials or trailers then I'd agree that it's a low thing to do. But I do not recall hearing the endless repititions of "Ledger's final and greatest performance" or "Ledger's final film." I recall hearing stuff like that in the past for other actors (that I didn't care about) so I'd imagine I'd remember it for the star of "A Knight's Tale" which is probably #5 on my favorite movies list. Maybe once or twice but it wasn't laid on thick like some other deaths.

If they're just passively profiting from it then I don't see any real issues. Granted if I bought a painting from my living room and a year later the artist happens to die, raising the price/demand, I might feel some guilt that I was profiting from someone's death. But it wouldn't be sleezy unless I bought it knowing he had cancer and that in a few months it would be worth a boat-load. Or if he was a family member or acquaintance and I was giving up something of sentimental value.

So yeh, Christian Bale and company (those that worked directly with him and get a piece of the profits) might be feeling a little guilty that their checks will be bigger. But the studio execs and stockholders wouldn't feel much.

This comment was edited on Jul 18, 11:35.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

4. Spoilers? Jul 18, 2008, 11:24 Killer Kane

Darth Vader IS Batman's Father....

He was already dead through the entire movie...

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying

3. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2008, 10:47 Ludomancer

I wonder if there would be such interest in this movie if Ledger didn't end up six feet under.

DOH! Mark your spoilers!!!

2. No subject Jul 18, 2008, 10:12 Hump

I never go to theaters on opening day or on the weekends. Go during the week when you have the benefit of a more sane pace.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo