Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Project Origin Trailer

The Project Origin Website is now showing off the E3 trailer for Monolith's upcoming F.E.A.R. sequel, warning is to "Fear Alma Again." Word is: ""The E3 Trailer pulls the curtain on all-new footage showcasing the latest weapons, deadliest enemies and bone-chilling locations from the world of Project Origin. Players will find themselves thrust in a near-future cityscape filled with unknown horrors, high-tech combat and the supernatural. Face tense and highly kinetic combat against enemy forces and unknown paranormal forces in a desperate struggle to stop Alma, a girl with immense power and a thirst for revenge." It seems you've got a date with destiny. And it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2008, 06:54 Shadowcat

That combined with the action->creepy stuff->action->back to creepy stuff transitions that were sometimes very abrupt kept me wondering what was next.
I'm betting on "action".

I just completed FEAR and Extraction Point. XP was ludicrously disappointing in terms of story... excellent combat, and decent variety in the levels, but an utterly unsatisfying ending made the whole experience seem hollow.

I'm interested enough to pick up Project Origin at some point. I just hope Monolith do a drastically better job of continuing their storyline from the first game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: ... Jul 14, 2008, 20:08 Beamer

Beating AvP's space marine campaign was one of the most satisfying FPS experiences I've had. The game felt difficult without ever feeling cheap, aside from maybe some facehuggers. I felt like my deaths were because humans are fragile, not because I was being screwed over. I remember doing a lot of running around like crazy in that game, haha, whenever I saw a predator. Or the time I fired an RPG at a Predator, taking all the lights near him out, and having to creep in unsure if he was still alive.

Beating the alien campaign was a blast, too. Oddly one of the few stealth games I enjoyed. Maybe because the weird combat made sense. Maybe because I spent half the time on the ceiling.

The predator campaign, though, was utter garbage. Unless (or even with) the six-shot speargun cheat.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. ... Jul 14, 2008, 10:06 theyarecomingforyou

STALKER is the creepiest game i have played in a long time, but only if you have the graphics turned up proper (with headphones).
With full dynamic lighting and headphones it's very atmospheric. I was playing last night and came across on the the psi monsters - a ringing built up in my ears (like extreme tinnitus) then the screen warped to its location and he attacks with a warp wave that disabled my ability to fire.

AvP had by far the most tension I have ever experienced. The motion tracker was brilliantly implemented. You heard the beeps incrase in frequency and you saw the beeps get closer and closer and then those alien bastards would come from every direction.
I'd forgotten about that... so unbelievably atmospheric. Easily one of my favourite games, especially the multiplayer as that was a real blast; the levels were small enough, and the gameplay so entertaining, that you could have a great time with only 3 players. AVP2 was a complete and utter disappoint, while the upcoming game is limited to the Colonial Marines - completely pointless after AVP allowed you to play all races.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

24. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2008, 08:49 Overon

AvP had by far the most tension I have ever experienced. The motion tracker was brilliantly implemented. You heard the beeps incrase in frequency and you saw the beeps get closer and closer and then those alien bastards would come from every direction. I don't think a game has matched that yet.

23. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2008, 07:45  Blue 

It seems you've got a date with destiny. And it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

can I put that on a T-shirt?

You'll have to ask whoever wrote Mystery Men.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

22. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2008, 05:38 toon

I would have to say my first real scare in a game was probably in Aliens vs Predator, playing a marine and the motion detector started going off and I'd be freaking out trying to find a corner to back into.
Holy shit, I remember this. That was just insanely creepy, I remember screaming out lout with my friends in that game once the radar started going mad. Such a different experience playing as an alien (atleast untill the predators/predaliens showed up..)

For some reason AvP2 didn't do the same for me at all.

Other things at the top of my head: First Alone in the Dark, Undying, hum.. I don't play much these days but I got the linux version of Penumbra: Overture. I have to say that got me pretty spooked a few times. Damn dogs!

Speaking of linux gaming, here's hoping Diablo3 makes it to linux! I've started learning Tristram on my guitar since hearing about Diablo3, I'm so exited! And that song is so beatiful, so iconic..

Edit: Oh, and FEAR was shit. "Ohh, oooh, look at me, I'm a totally harmless bullshit laughing girl that will pop up for no reason every 5 minutes. YOU WILL BE SCARED [bender voice]". And there's something about bullettime and a fuckload of weapons that doesn't quite do it for me. I get scared when I feel I don't control the situation, escpecially when other units are faster than me and can kill me quickly. Like AvP.
This comment was edited on Jul 14, 05:40.

21. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2008, 05:25 manic half

FEAR only creeped me out once she alma appeared on a monitor. until i realised the little girl didnt actually do anything, she just appeared and didnt attack me.

STALKER is the creepiest game i have played in a long time, but only if you have the graphics turned up proper (with headphones).

and Doom3 scared me a few times too.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 05:26.

20. Fear Alma Again Jul 14, 2008, 03:44 zirik

shouldnt that have been the game title?

19. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2008, 03:42 zirik

Hopefully the game makes a nice diversion of time for awhile - until Monolith gets around to doing Shogo 2 and NOLF 3, of course.

sadly the NOLF franchise is in copyright limbo. different parts of it are owned by different companies and nobody is willing to give up their hold. we might never see another NOLF game.

18. Re: ... Jul 14, 2008, 00:31 Jerykk

Then I watched my friend play the same part. Hell, he wasn't even facing the things when they materialized, so he didn't realize anything creepy happened.

Hah, that happened to me all the time. I'd walk into a room, hear a stinger then spin around and say "Ah, shit, I missed it." That's the problem with heavily scripted games. If you don't play the game exactly as the designers intended, many of the scare attempts will fall flat. On the other hand, they fall flat once you recognize the formula so I guess it's not that big of a problem.

17. Re: ... Jul 13, 2008, 23:53 Beamer

AVP creeped me out.

STALKER... meh. The scariest creatures were introduced in a sewer. At that point I was running around like a chicken without a head, avoiding some soldiers, generally pissed off at something with the control. I don't remember what, but I remember them showing up at a point that I felt I was fighting with the game. Shortly after I had sniped an entire base.

But yes, some of the sewers were nicely creepy. No real scares, but creepy.

FEAR got me at one point, almost. Again, I was doing the running-like-a-chicken-without-a-head. Unlike in STALKER, where I think I was doing it because I just wanted to finish the area so I could save and quit because I had somewhere to be, this time I was doing it because I was near death. I ducked into an office to turn and fight, yet right when I did something materialized out of thin air, right in my face. That made me jump.
Then I watched my friend play the same part. Hell, he wasn't even facing the things when they materialized, so he didn't realize anything creepy happened.
Then I replayed the game, this time using the bullet-time (which I hadn't used much the first time through.) The game was significantly easier and less creepy, and the materializing thing was dead before he could fully show up. Also lame.

AVP creeped me out.
Doom's shareware really creeped me out, as everything was so new and I could hear that damn pinky bellowing from somewhere in the same maze I was in.

Other than that? Nothing stands out. Some creepy games, some spookiness, but those are the only two really notable ones off the top of my head.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. ... Jul 13, 2008, 22:37 theyarecomingforyou

I would have to say my first real scare in a game was probably in Aliens vs Predator, playing a marine and the motion detector started going off and I'd be freaking out trying to find a corner to back into.
Man, I'd forgotten about that game - AVP had brilliant atmosphere and it was definitely quite scary knowing that aliens could run along the ceilings. Definitely one of the top scary games.

System Shock 2 was also scary at times. Bioshock had a few moments but generally wasn't.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

15. System Shock 2 scared me. Jul 13, 2008, 22:20 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: No subject Jul 13, 2008, 21:14 Jerykk

Clive Barker did a game a few years back (can't remember it) but playing the demo was very scary.

Undying was pretty freaky.

FEAR? Not so much. Too predictable, too formulaic. The whole hallucination gimmick was milked too much. Then you also have the fact that you play as a heavily-armed super-soldier who can do flying bicycle kicks in slow motion. In addition, most of the enemies were pushovers. Those invisible ninjas were pretty creepy but you only saw them like three times in the game.

13. Re: No subject Jul 13, 2008, 21:10 The Half Elf

Clive Barker did a game a few years back (can't remember it) but playing the demo was very scary.

But I would have to say FEAR tops my list. As NKD said it had me on the edge of my seat as well.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: No subject Jul 13, 2008, 19:32 NKD

I dunno... FEAR, on the surface, does not seem that scary. I also consider myself not easily scared. But, when I played through it the first time it had me on the edge of my seat. I don't know. I've always had a weakness for the "creepy little girl" concept. There is something about it that messes with my head.

That combined with the action->creepy stuff->action->back to creepy stuff transitions that were sometimes very abrupt kept me wondering what was next.

It certainly wasnt the pinnacle of originality, but it had something that really freaked me out. And, at least it wasn't zombie closets.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: No subject Jul 13, 2008, 19:20 Fuzzmatang

If the game doesn't have Pyramid Head in it, it ain't scary.

10. No subject Jul 13, 2008, 17:05 Wallshadows

The creepiest game I ever played was where I was offered some candy out of a 1970s style Chevy Astro by this old man called Melvin. He seemed like a nice guy, offering to take me home afterwards. He even let me jump on this white-stained mattress as he took pictures, saying "these are worth points, why not play two-player so we can get a combo".

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 17:08.

9. ... Jul 13, 2008, 16:44 theyarecomingforyou

At the end of the day, you have faced the same scenario thousands of times before in dozens of other shooters. It is comforting in the back of the mind to know that whatever you come across, gun + ammo = dead creature. You are always in control, and there is nothing that you can't overcome with some skill and the right weapons.
Nonsense. A gun doesn't help you when objects start floating to the ceiling and then launching themselves at you. A gun doesn't help you fight off a floating ball of fire or electricity. A gun doesn't help you when fire spouts start shooting towards you. You clearly haven't played STALKER for any length of time.

FEAR was your typical Hollywood-style film that tries to scare you but does so in a predictable manner. It was also diminished by simply tapping slo-mo everytime anything happened. With STALKER you simply didn't know what was coming next and you actually felt you might not get out of the next situation you came across.

We're clearly not going to come to any agreement with this discussion. I just found FEAR to be pretty generic when it came to the horror aspects (and pretty much every other aspect) - the invisible demons from the original Doom were much scarier than anything in FEAR, as they'd let off a roar and you couldn't tell where they were.

I think there was a Cthulhu fps released a couple of years ago, heard that it was pretty creepy.
I played the demo and while it had some interesting ideas it didn't really work. Shadow Of The Comet, the Cthulhu game from 10yrs back, on the otherhand had some pretty decent atmosphere, as did the original Alone In The Dark games.

8. Re: ... Jul 13, 2008, 16:16 Yifes

I strongly, strongly disagree with you. It was amazing in STALKER first coming across a shimmering outline in the dark, the light of my torch shining down the corridor - then eyes appeared and it started charging towards me. Creepy as fuck. It was also equally creepy seeing an box in front of me levitate and then suddenly launch at me. Or the fire that follows you around and then attacks you. Or the scratching sounds that tell you something bad is going to happen but you have no idea when. Meanwhile all the stuff in FEAR involved that stupid little girl and none of it could harm you.

I quite strongly disagree with you. While the atmosphere may be immersive, throwing creatures at the player is just not that scary. At the end of the day, you have faced the same scenario thousands of times before in dozens of other shooters. It is comforting in the back of the mind to know that whatever you come across, gun + ammo = dead creature. You are always in control, and there is nothing that you can't overcome with some skill and the right weapons.

FEAR on the other hand, was something different. It has those mindfuck sequences that totally turns the game on it's head. And you are wrong, there were many points in the game where the little girl could kill you. All of a sudden, the game mechanics have changed, and you are thrown into an alien situation. All of your supersoldier weapons, armor and your skill are useless; you are totally helpless and you have no fucking clue what you need to do to survive.

The psychological mindfuck is what scares me in a game, not some pretty scenery and a creepy set of eyes.

Edit: I'm not saying that FEAR was particuarly good, but it is probably the scariest FPS that I have played. I think there was a Cthulhu fps released a couple of years ago, heard that it was pretty creepy. Dunno if it was any good though...

This comment was edited on Jul 13, 16:26.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo