Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 in AU Follow-up

Kotaku Australia has follow-up on reports that Fallout 3 has been banned in Australia (story), providing the OFLC's official report on the action. In short, it was not any violence or gore in the game that triggered it's banning, which was based entirely on the game's depiction of drug use. Here's the relevant quote from the OFLC report:

The game contains the option to take a variety of "chems" using a device which is connected to the character's arm. Upon selection of the device a menu selection screen is displayed. Upon this screen is a list of "chems" that the player can take, by means of selection. These "chems" have positive effects and some negitave effects (lowering of intelligence, or the character may become addicted to the "chem"). The positive effects include increase in strength, stamina, resistance to damage, agility and hit points.

Corresponding with the list of various "chems" are small visual representation of the drugs, these include syringes, tablets, pill bottles, a crack-type pipe and blister packs. In the Board's view these realistic visual representations of drugs and their delivery method bring the "science-fiction" drugs in line with "real-world" drugs.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. MI3 Jul 10, 2008, 17:47 Kxmode

Corresponding with the list of various "chems" are small visual representation of the drugs, these include syringes, tablets, pill bottles, a crack-type pipe and blister packs. In the Board's view these realistic visual representations of drugs and their delivery method bring the "science-fiction" drugs in line with "real-world" drugs.

Mission Impossible III was filmed in Australia and contained pretty much all of the above.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
This comment was edited on Jul 10, 17:47.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. ... Jul 10, 2008, 15:11 theyarecomingforyou

Yeah, it's horrible here, with the great lifestyle and economy we're all focred to enjoy.
Living with an oppressive government, drastic water shortages and having to check your boots each time for deadly spiders/scorpions? Yeah, sounds great.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

23. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2008, 14:55 nin

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53535

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

22. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2008, 14:22 Cutter

The game will suck, but that's still no reason why Aussies should have to put with such a fascist governement.

"He was one of a kind. He was a mutant. A real heavyweight water buffalo type...who could chew his way through a concrete wall and spit out the other side, covered with lime and chalk, and look good in doing it." - Bill Murray as Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

21. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2008, 14:07 morose

This game makes me want to chase a dragon through an enchanted forest. Even though I will never catch it.

LOL @ Wallshadows

20. Re: Wow... Jul 10, 2008, 05:20 Reactor

Not really... we just play other games.

19. Wow... Jul 10, 2008, 05:01 Razor

... sucks to be an Aussie.

18. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2008, 04:53 Reactor

Indeed... I just love all the whining about a game people have been predicting will suck. All of a sudden the Aussie authorities are bastards and Fallout 3 is GOTY.

17. No subject Jul 10, 2008, 04:26 Submariner

They probably knew it would get banned, most companies know what will pass. Bans work great for advertising the game. I would not be surprised, if they have an edited version ready to go.

16. Re: AU Ban Jul 10, 2008, 03:58 Reactor

Yeah, it's horrible here, with the great lifestyle and economy we're all focred to enjoy. How dare they ruin the lives of many by stopping an as yet unreviewed 3D game from being released.

15. Re: AU Ban Jul 10, 2008, 03:18 Cutter

I'd be ready to emmigrate from Aus at this point if I lived there. That's just absurd. I never realized how Orwellian it must be there.

"He was one of a kind. He was a mutant. A real heavyweight water buffalo type...who could chew his way through a concrete wall and spit out the other side, covered with lime and chalk, and look good in doing it." - Bill Murray as Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

14. Re: AU Ban Jul 10, 2008, 01:30 Creston

Killing, however, is A-OK!

Absolutely! Want to NUKE that quaint little village you come across early in the game? Make 'em glow, baby!

Oh wait, we see you have a depiction of a crack pipe in the game. Sorry, not allowed.

/sigh.

Creston

13. Re: ... Jul 10, 2008, 00:35 Jerykk

If not then why the hell should a computer game be banned because of it? Hardly seems fair.

Double standards. Notice that stores have no problem flaunting Unrated versions of movies, yet they won't stock unrated games and none of the Big Three will license unrated games either.

12. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2008, 00:07 Paranoid Jack

Did they ban AoC?

11. No subject Jul 9, 2008, 23:52 Wallshadows

This game makes me want to chase a dragon through an enchanted forest. Even though I will never catch it.

10. Re: Fallout 3 Jul 9, 2008, 23:48 bigspender

Well, maybe somebody will make a Crocidile Dundee type game.
I bloody hope not LOL

man what a fucking nanny state.
I'm suprised WoW and every rpg isnt banned because health potions are drugs.
I seen to also remember being able to smoke crack or something in Oblivion.

CRITICAL PATCH released within 2 weeks = RETURN TO STORE
IN GAME ADVERTISING = GO ***** YOURSELVES

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

9. ... Jul 9, 2008, 23:48 theyarecomingforyou

So they don't show any drugs on TV in Australia? And they don't allow any DVDs to be sold that include the use of / reference to drugs? If not then why the hell should a computer game be banned because of it? Hardly seems fair.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

8. No subject Jul 9, 2008, 23:33 Karl_L

Better not drag NZ down with them like they did with GTA

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 23:33.

7. Re: AU Ban Jul 9, 2008, 22:39 Grokk

As an aussie, I'd just like to thank the gods, that it wasn't the 'Bloody Mess' trait.
Changing images of a few pill bottles or whatever I can live with, but a fallout game would be unplayable without bloody mess.

6. Re: AU Ban Jul 9, 2008, 22:34 Overon

Wow this is silly beyond words. Poor Ausies, stuff like this almost makes the Bush administrator look not so bad.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo