Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 AU Fallout

Kotaku Australia has word that Fallout 3 has been officially refused classification In Australia, confirming indications that the content of the upcoming RPG sequel was not meeting the Aussie Office of Film and Literature Classification's standards (story). This makes it illegal to sell the game down under, though it is possible that an edited version of the game will be resubmitted for approval, but at this point Bethesda has refused to comment on this situation. It is not clear why the game was refused classification, as it contains scenes depicting drug use as well as a good deal of gore, either or both of which can run afoul of the OFLC.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. What names? Sep 10, 2008, 13:36 Tumbler

Oh well. I'd like to see Bethesda release free downloadable content called "Asstralia" that includes a mission into a small town with gun shops everywhere. Your objective would be to sit in on a meeting in a room of whining people who are arguing over whether or not they should allow kids to play with toy guns because it might make them grow up to use real guns. (Everyone in the room should be packing SERIOUS firepower and they should fire a gun in the air every time they say anything)

Hopefully they could come up with some clever dialogue to make the Assies look as stupid as they do banning fallout 3 for reference to drugs at one point.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 13:37.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. ... Jul 12, 2008, 14:55 theyarecomingforyou

It seems silly to ban a game because of the imagery used if the ban will only increase interest in something that would have otherwise been overlooked. I wouldn't have given two shits about the drug imagery if it wasn't for the Australian ban. I doubt this could have been any more counter-productive.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

48. woot! Jul 10, 2008, 17:48 Muscular Beaver

WTG Aussies! Youre almost as shitty good as we here in Germany already!  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

47. Re: As a side note. Jul 10, 2008, 02:26 Asmodai

Yeah, just spoke to the poster on the site to get it updated to reflect you didn't mean you would pirate before anything else. Cheers.

Much appreciated! ; )

Asmodai comments on the website BluesNews.com - "I will not pay for a watered down version and if I cannot legally obtain a copy overseas of the full version, I'll be pirating it." Although going on to say "Before I choose piracy I will, as I first posted, try to import the game from another source." If Fallout 3 manage to get a watered down version out quick enough then piracy won't become too much of a problem, but suffice to say, this ban won't stop players playing!

Lol. If we can import or even digitally purchase the software without region restrictions (digital would be questionable I guess) there will not be any need to pirate anything.

But the guy is right, one fucked up attorney general the Australian government might ban or cause a watering down of Fallout 3, but they just gave it a tonne of free hype (along the lines of GTAIV but to a lesser extent) which is going to increase import sales, increase piracy and may even result in a few more over the counter sales (rather than calamitous cancellation of pre-orders). People will want to play this if only to see what all the fuss is about.
This comment was edited on Jul 10, 02:39.

46. Yahtzee Jul 9, 2008, 19:57 Surf

"Yahtzee is going to have a field day when this title gets released." "Judging from his latest efforts Yahtzee's ten minutes of fame should have already expired."

Yahtzee won't be around on PCGamer much longer. He doesn't fit in, hates video games (hates everything actually), has a terrible sense of humor if you can call it that and doesn't even enjoy life.

He was a bad call to join the ranks of PCG, I believe someone that knew/knows him wrote that they had doubts on his ability to be a video game writer. Spot on if you ask me.

45. Strange Jul 9, 2008, 19:50 Surf

From the country that allowed the movies Mad Max and The Road Warrior to be made and filmed there, they get their panties in a bunch over a video game based on the end of the world?

I doubt that Fallout 3 will have the raping of women and motorcycle gangs running over babies, so what gives?

Toe Cutter

44. As a side note. Jul 9, 2008, 19:26 ResonanceG

"And you just know that the meat of the message is going to be lost in the fucking hoohah over the piracy comment..."

Yeah, just spoke to the poster on the site to get it updated to reflect you didn't mean you would pirate before anything else. Cheers.

43. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 19:20 manic half

No drugs or gore in the prison colony, please.

skipped school, did we?

42. Re: Down Under Headlines a.k.a. DUH! Jul 9, 2008, 19:19 manic half

Aussie Gamers Collectively Exclaim "Crikey!" as AOFLC Drives a Stinger Into Their Collective Hearts Over Fallout 3 Content

*yawn*

41. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 19:17 manic half

im in australia.

theres nothing i can say that hasnt already been said. the only upside is

a) it will make people import the game and hence, avoid the insane over-pricing we put up with

b) they will get the game as it was intended.

40. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 18:58 Tusker

Do they ban movies with sex, violence and drugs too? Do they ban smoking and alcohol? They should.

No, they release them with an R rating. The thing is Australia is the only 'civilised' country without an adult rating for games - since Singapore introduced an M18 rating in April this year.

39. Re: Little more details Jul 9, 2008, 18:48 Asmodai

You're famous now, Asmodai (due to link above).

And you just know that the meat of the message is going to be lost in the fucking hoohah over the piracy comment...

I don't want to pirate the game. Fallout is one of my all time favourite franchises (even played Tactics fully) and I'm a big fan of Bethesda.

I really want to order a legal copy of the full product in my country and just go home and play my game. I'm a 30-something with plenty of disposable income.

But one man motivated by religion and a misguided concept that adult computer game entertainment should not exist because children might get access to it has chosen to stand in the way of that, for me and the rest of the Aus adult game players who might want to enjoy a graphic post-apocalyptic game...

And before I choose piracy I will, as I first posted, try to import the game from another source.

As for 15 mins of fame, as long as the message that this nanny state crap directly incites piracy (or at least makes people feel more justified about pirating) and importation of technically illegal software (you can get fined quite heavily for import of Refused Classification media) then I guess it'll be worthwhile...

Ironic that the upstanding Attorney General who is so very concerned with the moral well being of the country is currently being sued for defamation...

Mr Short said Mr Atkinson had been advised that Dr Cannon was still open to having a "sensible" discussion about the Attorney-General's public criticism of him last month. Mr Atkinson criticised Dr Cannon over his preparation of a statement of principles on sentencing, in which the veteran magistrate argued that prison overcrowding should be factored into any decision to send people to jail.

Mr Atkinson referred to Dr Cannon's reasoning as daft and delusional, and also questioned his understanding of the law.

If the action proceeds to court, it will be tracked with interest by Adelaide's legal fraternity, which has been in the state Labor Government's sights for opposing aspects of its aggressive law-and-order program.

Dr Cannon has not responded publicly to Mr Atkinson's attack, which has been condemned by a range of legal groups, including the Law Society of South Australia, the Australian Council for Civil Liberties and the Judicial Conference of Australia.

Mr Atkinson has said he will not back down. In the absence of a formal statement of claim from Dr Cannon, his spokeswoman last night declined further comment.

Mr Short said: "As we have not received a substantive response, we have advised him that we are preparing proceedings, and we have indicated that Dr Cannon is prepared to enter into sensible discussion about the issues. Mr Atkinson is aware of the concerns, and we have indicated to him that there are issues of damages, costs and an apology."

A fine moral example for the rest of the country. Fucking hypocrite.

38. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 18:46 starmonkey

Write a letter to the SA Attorney General who is the only one blocking the R18+ proposal for Video Games, instead of posting here which won't reach any ears that will affect any change.

37. No subject Jul 9, 2008, 17:55 Talisorn

Oh well. I guess I'm importing my copy then.

I love this country, but by the living hell, we need an R18+ rating for games.

36. Thank God I live in the US Jul 9, 2008, 16:52 jomisab

'nuff said.

*kisses ground*

35. Down Under Headlines a.k.a. DUH! Jul 9, 2008, 15:28 Kxmode

Aussie Gamers Collectively Exclaim "Crikey!" as AOFLC Drives a Stinger Into Their Collective Hearts Over Fallout 3 Content

A bit much?

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
This comment was edited on Jul 9, 15:35.

34. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 15:26 Paranoid Jack

I feel sad for all those poor Aussie children who won't be able to launch mini-nukes with there Fatman. They'll never get to enjoy it killing Super Mutants or see it cause the children in game to run away in terror. Not to mention they won't be able to create their own bombs with old lunch boxes filled with Barbie heads and other debris found lying around the wastelands of F3.

Oh, the tragedy!

edit: I am extremely curious to see if Bethesda caves and alters the game or leave it as is. Because the countries that ban it can not stop Imports can they?

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 15:29.

33. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 15:13 >U

Yahtzee is going to have a field day when this title gets released.
Judging from his latest efforts Yahtzee's fifteen minutes of fame should have already expired.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 10:55.

32. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 14:43 MMORPGHoD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xllgk-Glxs4

31. No subject Jul 9, 2008, 14:31 xXBatmanXx

heheheh penal

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo