Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2008, 09:05 jimnms

My only long term experience with Vista was the two weeks I had a Dell M1330 before I sent it back due to a high pitch whine that gave me a head ache to use. Vista definitely needs some work in the stability area. In those two weeks, I had more crashes than I have had in three years of XP. I'll admit that there were some things I liked about vista, but then there were way too many WTF, why did they do/change that moments with it.

I bought Vista Home Premium from my local CompUSA for $50 when they went out of business, but I have yet to peel off the shrink wrap. XP is working just fine and I don't see a need to upgrade right now. I suppose when I build a new system in the next 3-6 months, I'll probably put Vista on it.

I just checked the systeminfo command, and it shows the original install date of XP on my system as 11/26/2005, the day I finished building it and installed XP. In the days of Win9X, that would have been unheard of to have an install last that long without bogging down.

Steam Profile
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 23:58 skyguy

you might get acceptable performance if you turn off all the bells and whistles,

Runs great for me, nothing special 2.4ghz core2, 4850.

Network stuff sucked before SP1, but its fine now.

No up button in the file explorer. A search function that's slow and doesn't always find files that you know are there. BSOD-ing when I exit a game?

Click on the directory you want in the address bar. BSOD when you exit a game means you need to update your drivers.

However I admit right now the steam version of Bioshock is crashing on exit, and taking my desktop background with it. Hmmm... that didn't used to happen on my 7800GT... I wonder if its a directx 10 bug?

5. No subject Jul 8, 2008, 23:43 WebDemon

Unfortunately, MS seems to have a habit of missing the mark BIG TIME when it releases a new OS. Not long ago it seemed like, "hmm, Windows98 is pretty much everything Windows95 was suppose to be..." and so on with Win2000 working like Win_NT was suppose too. If it holds true to the past, the next Windows should be solid and good to go save for the usual service packs.

4. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 22:56 sponge

Vista is really good.

I would absolutely kill for many of the Explorer enhancements in XP, most significantly the new file copy dialog box with the speed and time estimate, and the better error handling.

Otherwise, I run Vista on my laptop since in a twist of irony the drivers don't work on XP, and haven't had any real issues post-tweaking. I find myself using Debian more and more on my laptop though-- really the only thing stopping me is CS3.

3. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 22:34 nin

I used it for 9 months and gave up on it. I wouldn't say it runs "well" - you might get acceptable performance if you turn off all the bells and whistles, and at that point, it looks and acts like XP (or at least attempts to). Only a hell of a lot more resource intensive, when XP can do the same thing just fine.

And it still takes longer to copy files, even with SP1. How could they not fix that?

No up button in the file explorer. A search function that's slow and doesn't always find files that you know are there. BSOD-ing when I exit a game?

Vista has earned every bit of its reputation, based on its numerous shortcomings and shoddy performance. There's a reason why most businesses aren't migrating to it.

This was on a new quad core computer with 4 gig of ram, mind you.

I'll pass.

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 21:28 PropheT

Vista is really good.

Some of the innovations in it weren't the best, like UAC badgering you constantly, but with a few minutes of customization it's outstanding. It runs well, it handles application crashes better than XP, it's easier to support than XP... it's better than XP.

I mean, I know people bash on it constantly and it's kind of the black sheep of the PC world, but I like it. It's easier to support at work than XP systems, and on my home system it's far less prone to problems with drivers or general app issues affecting performance or stability. It really doesn't deserve the reputation it has.

1. No subject Jul 8, 2008, 20:50 nin

Windows Vista has been dragged through the mud by the bullies with which it competes, but those bullies are about to get hit with some long overdue retaliation.

That's the message from Brad Brooks, Corporate Vice President of Windows Consumer Products, who in a Tuesday keynote speech at Microsoft (NSDQ:MSFT)'s Worldwide Partner Conference in Houston attempted to swat away the negative mojo around the OS that has built up since its launch

You can't polish a turd, Brad. Your team fucked up, and now you're crying about it? Please...

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo