Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Galactic Civilizations II: Endless Universe Announced

Kalypso Media announces plans for Galactic Civilizations II: Endless Universe, a standalone third expansion for the strategy sequel due this August that will include the previous two expansions. So just how endless is the universe? "Space is big - really big - you just won't believe how vastly, hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. You may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." Here's the announcement:

The battle for galactic supremacy continues in Endless Universe; the new stand-alone add-on for the acclaimed strategy game Galactic Civilizations II, to be published by Kalypso Media at the end of August 2008. A stand-alone version, it requires no additional purchase and also includes the two previously released add-ons: Dark Avatar and Twilight Of the Arnor.

Galactic Civilizations II is the best selling strategy game in the United States, has received several awards, and spent a number of weeks in the U.S. Top Ten Game Charts. Endless Universe builds on the epic story, following on from Dark Avatar and Twilight of Arnor.

Thanks to Dark Avatar the different races now have multiple characteristics which adds variety and fun during the game. Now, the races range from “super-diplomatist” to “super-destroyer”. Also, Dark Avatar provides the planets with environmental conditions. Thus, the player needs to decide whether he wants to invest into research and development or leave the planet to a hostile player. Furthermore, Dark Avatar presents new scenes, new challenges, asteroids which can be used as mines, new races, and a new version of the spy system.

Further differences in characteristics between the races are provided by Twilight of the Arnor. Here, the player can experience new features, starting with individual developments to race-specific weapons, skills and buildings. In addition, there are sensational improvements to the planets, many new star ships, a much bigger galaxy, and a new soundtrack! On top of that, “Twilight of the Arnor” includes editors for the planets, scenario, and technological development.

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 17:48  Yarlen 

There seems to be a lot of misconception as to what this package is. Endless Universe is just the already released Dark Avatar and Twilight of the Arnor expansions that are already available directly from Stardock. It's just that Kalypso will be publishing them in Europe only at retail. There won't be any special content present in these, etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 12:25 Prez

I was hoping more for a GalCiv 3 announcement myself.

While I'm thinking about it, Stardock seems the perfect publisher to get a Freelancer 2, a Freespace 3, or a Next-Gen Privateer out the door. Get on that Wardell!!

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

24. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 11:57 Skoll

Skoll, espionage is being revamped for both DA and TotA; that will be the major feature of the next update. Check the official forums later for more info.

Wow, thanks for the update. I'll read the patch notes when they come out.

http://www.bandega.com - Never miss a show again

23. Re: How about a good freekin space sim Jul 8, 2008, 10:28  cliffski 

derek smart does games in this genre, if you didn't already know. The battlecruiser stuff.  
http://www.positech.co.uk

22. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 09:58 Wolfox

Skoll, espionage is being revamped for both DA and TotA; that will be the major feature of the next update. Check the official forums later for more info.

21. No subject Jul 8, 2008, 08:19 BIGtrouble77

I'm not sure I get why some of you are clamoring for a next gen space sim. I would personally love to see this game tweaked and updated for many more years, as long as the loyal paying customers aren't screwed. This game is entirely about AI, fancy graphics isn't going to make the game any better. If you want more of an RTS feel there are other games out there for that.

With that said, I'm a little disappointed that this update is mostly worthless for those of us that already have DA and ToA. Looks like a good opportunity to get into the game if you haven't played it before. I got into galciv1 at the very end of it's life and don't regret it one bit.

-bt

20. Re: How about a good freekin space sim Jul 8, 2008, 07:32 Midnight

enough of this 1996 RTS CRAP..give us a freekin next gen space sim/shooter

Elite was published in 1984. Why are you arguing against a genre you claim is stuck in 1996 but in favour of one twelve years older?

19. Re: How about a good freekin space sim Jul 8, 2008, 04:36 Dmitri_M

Stop talking out of your ass Wildone.

How are we supposed to take someone seriously who thinks GalCiv IS AN RTS.

18. Re: No subject Jul 8, 2008, 01:25 NKD

This isn't a Stardock-published release and does not contain any significant new content, its basically a repackaging for the European market.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

17. No subject Jul 7, 2008, 23:40 Skoll

GC DA was a great game, I definitely enjoyed the campaigns and a few skirmished. However, I was pretty disappointed by the espionage aspect of DA. In all the various Civ versions it was a great feeling to become a military might and storm across the map. It was a tad boring, granted, but it felt good. In GC DA the more powerful you get the more spies you have to deal with, which really took the fun out of being on top.

Also the unification of espionage with sabotage always rubbed me the wrong way.

I didn't read anything about that getting fixed/changed in ToA, but I didn't dig much deeper than the feature list...

http://www.bandega.com - Never miss a show again

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 23:40.

16. Re: How about a good freekin space sim Jul 7, 2008, 23:21 Bet

I am not sure why people call GalCiv a RTS, when it is by no means a RTS.

This is also what I was wondering. nin's reaction was mine too, thinking wildone was just joking. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like he was. Sad...

15. Re: How about a good freekin space sim Jul 7, 2008, 22:54 Spaced

There hasn't been a truly next gen attempt at a space sim yet. Every other genre has had a crack except Space & air combat. Not a fantasy why should it be. RTS are so yesterday.

If that's how you feel, then why are you posting like you do about these games that you hate? You just want to whine and moan? You just want to complain about how (unrelated) games don't meet your personal opinion? And why should we care?

You don't have anything productive or useful to offer, so I guess you have no point other than to gripe about stuff you're not even interested in, lol. What a way to spend your time...

Maybe you need to stop being a condescending prick

Lol, so now you resort to personal attacks and name calling? Obviously, I disagree with you and enjoy several 'next-gen' space sims. I don't care if our definitions differ or not, but I wouldn't resort to calling you names over an opinion, lol. You just lost what little credibility you had with me, I'm sure you care, lol. Off to gaming I go...

Bring on RTS (?) gaming, circa 1996 or not by some opinions, GC3 is something I'll look forward to.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 22:56.

14. Re: Galactic Civilizations II: Endless.. Jul 7, 2008, 22:53 Creston

But come on already, lets do GC3, give people a reason to be excited about this genre again.

Frogboy has said in several interviews that IF a Galciv3 comes, it won't come this decade.

So don't hold your breath.

I'm a bit surprised that suddenly they have a different publisher? What happened to publishing their games themselves?

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please don't turn into another piece of shit "Fuck The Gamers The Bottom Line Is Where It's At" Developer/publisher...

Creston

13. Re: How about a good freekin space sim Jul 7, 2008, 22:46 Enahs

There hasn't been a truly next gen attempt at a space sim yet.

Sure there has.

The various X-Series were good attempts at next gen space sims...

And the new one should be out later this year with a new bigger and better 3D engine...

DarkStar one came out ~2 years ago (not that I played it).

And lets not forget about Eve Online and all its incarnations.

But there are other ones not as "big" and plenty in development.

And then there are smaller space sim type games likes Smugglers 4; which was released just this past July 4th. I plan on checking it out soon. I enjoyed Smugglers 2 and 3 enough. It is by no means what I would call a space sim though, just mini-space sim like.

Not to mention all the really nice mods for games inspired by shows like BSG and B5 and StarGate, etc etc.

Sure there are not 100 of them a year like crappy FPS, but the genre is doing quite well; and tend to make fewer but higher quality games (as the market is not such a broad general ADD market).

But yes, this is not advertised as a space sim. It is a turn based strategy, in space. And Sins of a Solar Empire is not a space sim either, it is a 4X RTS.

I am not sure why people call GalCiv a RTS, when it is by no means a RTS.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 22:50.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

12. Re: How about a good freekin space sim Jul 7, 2008, 22:37 Wildone

Not really. There hasn't been a truly next gen attempt at a space sim yet. Every other genre has had a crack except Space & air combat. Not a fantasy why should it be. RTS are so yesterday. Maybe you need to stop being a condescending prick

11. Re: How about a good freekin space sim Jul 7, 2008, 22:01 Spaced

How about a good freekin space sim

Uhm, this isn't a space-sim. Why do you keep wanting to change a topic to focus on something you just want to complain about?

enough of this 1996 RTS CRAP..give us a freekin next gen space sim/shooter that is worthy of the generation already.//

I still don't think you'll ever find that elusive 'next gen' game you claim to be hunting for, you just knock anything and everything... games that most other space game fans enjoy. Maybe you need to switch genres or look for a different hobby that interest you more. You obviously don't have fun with these games, although maybe the enjoyment for you is to just belittle and criticize.

I'd like to see GC3 after this, should be fun.

10. I think this gives a better idea Jul 7, 2008, 21:53 ResonanceG

I think this gives a better idea about what this 'expansion' will offer. Although not once in the press release does it say expansion.

http://resonance-gaming.com/gaming-news/112/GalCiv-II:-Endless-Universe-Announced

9. Re: How about a good freekin space sim Jul 7, 2008, 21:35 Boston

I agree with your sentiment, but I get the feeling that you have no idea what GalCiv games are about.

8. Re: How about a good freekin space sim Jul 7, 2008, 21:30 nin

enough of this 1996 RTS CRAP

AH-hahahahahahahahaha!

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Galactic Civilizations II: Endless... Jul 7, 2008, 21:28 JohnBirshire

expansions.

Not knocking Stardock, the game is awesome, I only wish Master of Orion 3 could have been what this game has become.

But come on already, lets do GC3, give people a reason to be excited about this genre again.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo