Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: show me the money Jul 3, 2008, 22:34 the_culture

What? Have you not paid attention to anything Nintendo did from the years 2001 to 2006?

You look like you're having a bit of trouble understanding, so so I'll give you some figures...

Game Boy Advance facts
# Launched in June 2001.
# In 30 days it reached 1 million sales.
# In 90 days it reached 2 million sales.
# By the end of 2001 it had sold more than 4.7 million.
# In its first 12 months it sold more than 6.5 million.

Yeah, that's a whole lotta nuthin.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: show me the money Jul 3, 2008, 20:47 phinn

I actually agree. I have access to the Wii (my gf owns it) and I own a PS3. I like the PS3 a lot more, I love all the games and I rent Blu-rays.

But my favorite thing about the Wii was modding it. Sure I have Linux installed on my PS3, but I love the Wii Homebrew Channel and all the emulators that are so easy to run on it without rebooting into Linux on my PS3. Not that I play them much... it's just really cool.

22. Re: No subject Jul 3, 2008, 19:37 WebDemon

" gotta love the fucking retards that cant seperate their own identity from their material possessions ..

"waaaah! you call my stuff bad! waaah! you hurt my wittle feelings. ""

Wow, guess I've been told. didn't think you be be a bigger dick than you already were there "little guy" buy I guess I was wrong. Have a seat and put your fucking helmet back on before you hurt yourself. Now be gone asshole, I'm done you now.

21. Re: show me the money Jul 3, 2008, 18:38 sponge

Nintendo has always been very good at marketing hype and appeal, and the Wii is no exception.

What? Have you not paid attention to anything Nintendo did from the years 2001 to 2006?

If you didn't pay attention, it was probably because there was nothing to pay attention to. They had the GBA-- a portable SNES. That's it.

20. Re: show me the money Jul 3, 2008, 17:47 the_culture

I own a Wii, 360, and a PS3, and I play on the PS3 the most. The Wii is mainly reserved for my daughter when she wants to play Wii Sports or something with me. Other than that, it just sits there.

I think many "hardcore gamers" are upset by the Wii's success because of the "Huh?' factor. Personally, I don't understand why its so fun. If I want to play games with friends at my house, then we'll sit down and play. If I need to move around, we'll grab the basketball and head to the park.

Nintendo has always been very good at marketing hype and appeal, and the Wii is no exception.

AS a side note, I came across this article while searching "video game gimmicks". A pretty fun read: http://my.mmoabc.com/article/Daftshadow/1764.html?login=no

19. Re: show me the money Jul 3, 2008, 17:03 ColoradoHoudini

I have a pretty broad social circle of friends that spans multiple states.. and the majority of these people are not hardcore gamers on any platform. However, they all seem to own a Wii.
they love it for themselves, their friends for parties, their kids love it.. dunno man, if it's a gimmick on any level, it's working like a charm.
Hell, the Wii has my friends parents (50+ years old) playing and buying video games. That's impressive.

Not only do they play it, but they play it often.

/I don't own any console.

18. Re: show me the money Jul 3, 2008, 15:58 Wowbagger_TIP

The wii might be hamstrung by its most lauded feature: accessibility.
You're also looking at it from the point of view of a long-time serious gamer. The innovation of the Wii may not be one that appeals to the harder-core gamers out there, but does appeal to casual gamers and people who have never been into gaming before. By making games accessible to them, they have created a new market. One that seeks different things from games than hardcore gamers do.

Maybe they'll be able to appeal to the more hardcore gamer eventually as well, but for now they seem to be doing pretty well in their new market. My wife wants one. Even my boss (middle-aged professional woman) just got one.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

17. show me the money Jul 3, 2008, 14:49 space captain

Heres the thing about that though: potential means nothing if it isnt realized. It hasnt really shown up yet - and IMO the trend isnt visible either. The wii might be hamstrung by its most lauded feature: accessibility.

I really dont know of any bad ass whup ya bad ass wii titles on the horizon.. and sorry but Wii-fit dont count in that shit either.

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: No subject Jul 3, 2008, 14:39 Wowbagger_TIP

Personally I could care less about the Wii. I've never tried one because I have no interest in the games it has. But it's still selling like crazy.
My experience is limited. My nephew has one, and I've played around with them in stores a bit too. I think that you're right about the games just not being there yet. There are a couple that look like they might be kinda fun, but nowhere near enough to justify buying another console just yet. I'm going to just wait and see on this one. Maybe they'll release some good stuff in the next year or so. It's still a new enough system, with such different control mechanisms, that the developers are still figuring out how to really make the most of it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

15. Re: No subject Jul 3, 2008, 14:36 Wowbagger_TIP

its just different for the sake of being different - without adding anything new to the current method
By that definition, the Wii-mote is definitely not a gimmick. It's just an innovation whose potential hasn't been fully realized yet, as it enables styles of play that we aren't used to or haven't even been tried yet. It's definitely better than thumb-knobbies for aiming and such, and it allows for simultaneously freer and more accurate control. It's up to the developers to quit trying to shoe-horn it onto existing types of games, or making tech-demos and calling them games, and start using its strengths to enable new types of play or new variations on old themes. It's just going to take some time for them to get used to it and explore its potential.

14. Re: No subject Jul 3, 2008, 13:44 Krovven

the wii craze has definitely plateaued

While the Wii may have "plateaued", I don't think that is an accurate description seeing as it is still selling 700,000 units a month in the US alone. Which brings it 500,000 units higher per month than the 360 or PS3.

Personally I could care less about the Wii. I've never tried one because I have no interest in the games it has. But it's still selling like crazy.

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

13. Wii Jul 3, 2008, 13:37 Hyatus

Just because it's a gimmick doesn't mean it's not a fun one.

The only problem for the wii is that 99% of the non-Nintendo-made games apparently can't properly utilize the controllers. Well, alright, I'll concede the "Next-Gen" graphics are barely above the Gamecube's.

The real gimmick, I think, is the Virtual Console part of the system. Wtf? $5 for an NES game? No thanks. You can pick them up at used game stores for a buck with the advantage of being able to use the controller the game was made for. Same with the SNES and SEGA games(still have my old SMS with lightgun).

12. Re: No subject Jul 3, 2008, 13:32 space captain

The truth of this is very straightforward, actually. Innovations are just gimmicks you happen to like.

thats wrong - innovations have a practical use that supersedes (more effecient, easier, allows more options, etc. etc.) a current method.. while a gimmick does not, its just different for the sake of being different - without adding anything new to the current method

the wii is innovative in one sense, but its also clearly a gimmick (same with DS) .. the thing that is really holding it back in terms of innovation is that most modern games just dont need motion sensing like that - if you really want to innovate, you also need games that take full advantage of that shit in impressive ways.. until then: its just a fucking gimmick

Go forth, and kill!

11. No subject Jul 3, 2008, 13:26 space captain

The real money is in causal gaming and that means the Wii isn't going away anytime soon.

it remains to be seen - because that market is currently dominated by tiny web apps.. and the switch to an entire console gaming system is still much less casual than that, as is the physical movement involved - which does get old after a long session, as anyone who has played the thing can tell you

the wii craze has definitely plateaued - the question is: can they bring the games that will keep it on the up an up

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: No subject Jul 3, 2008, 13:25 Wowbagger_TIP

I called the Wii a gimmick from the get go (after playing it a few days) and got lambasted here......my stance still holds.
I think I have to agree with TB from Penny-Arcade:
We must to endure this conversation over and over as adherents of the medium, this "innovations versus gimmicks" thing. The truth of this is very straightforward, actually. Innovations are just gimmicks you happen to like.

9. No subject Jul 3, 2008, 12:21 xXBatmanXx

Powerglove

Never had one. I wanted one sooooooo bad. Just could never find them in stores.

Looks like they go for pretty cheap now, should probably get one for historical catalog references....er something...
http://search.ebay.com/nintendo-power-glove

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 12:23.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: No subject Jul 3, 2008, 12:18 The Half Elf

Bats just put it next to your Virtual Boy 3D, Powerglove and Gameboy Micro!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: No subject Jul 3, 2008, 12:18 MMORPGHoD

28 million units sold worldwide so far is a pretty nice gimmick. Personally, I see the DS as more of a gimmick, but that's just because I don't game on the go. If I did, I'd probably bring my laptop. Of course, the DS owns the Japanese market and has sold 74 million units worldwide, which hardly qualifies as a fad or a gimmick people wise up about and stop buying.

'Hardcore' gaming with full blown graphics, physics, AI and all the bells and whistles is in the minority. The real money is in causal gaming and that means the Wii isn't going away anytime soon.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 12:20.

6. No subject Jul 3, 2008, 12:03 xXBatmanXx

I called the Wii a gimmick from the get go (after playing it a few days) and got lambasted here......my stance still holds.

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. No subject Jul 3, 2008, 11:30 space captain

gotta love the fucking retards that cant seperate their own identity from their material possessions ..

"waaaah! you call my stuff bad! waaah! you hurt my wittle feelings. "

Go forth, and kill!

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo