Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I finally saw a "smart car" on the road, as one of them was headed towards the supermarket here in town. With spiraling gas prices I'm kind of surprised I haven't spotted one before, as a little Mayberry-style place like this seems particularly well suited to them (in fairness there has been a noticeable recent increase in bicycle and scooter traffic). I wouldn't want to be in one on the open road (are they even legal on highways?), but a place like New York City would probably be a lot better off if all the cars were so compact.

Compact Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Link: Happy 30th to those never-ending Space Invaders.
Story: Teens Prefer Computers to Doctors. Who prefers doctors to anything?
Science: A Genetic Quest for Better Chocolate. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Image: To Do Tattoo.
Media: Zipline...or should I say, Stripline.
Follow-up: “Inmate Thriller” Dancers Are Now Famous.
Teh Funny: UserFriendly.

View
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

50. No subject Jun 28, 2008, 22:49 Mr. Tact

Don't worry Jim, the last of us will push "the button" and take the world with us.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

49. No subject Jun 28, 2008, 10:42 Donkey_Punch

I am all for no gun control in the USA. The more Americans that shoot each other the safer the planet will be.

48. Re: W T F ? ? Jun 27, 2008, 21:10 Mr. Tact

Is this true or is this more hyped up junk? Holy crap. Someone with some North Pole knowledge here care to comment???
There is no land. The ice isn't attached to anything. It moves. The thicker part of the ice pack, the part that usually "covers" the north pole, has moved off of it. Only the "annual" ice is covering the pole location right now. It's reasonably likely that ice will melt during the summer season. While it certainly isn't a good thing, it isn't quite as bad as it sounds.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 21:12.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

47. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2008, 11:03 kanniballl

One of my main concerns is visibility by other drivers, at least during these early stages.

In my white midsize-Sedan I constantly get drivers that don't notice me and almost drift into me.

I'm sure with something that size you have to worry a lot more for now since people just aren't used to seeing them on the highways.

A friend once said that when he rides his motorcycle he has to be a lot more mindful of the idiots on the road because his size makes him harder to see by the idiot driving an SUV while on the cellphone. At least the SmartCar would offer some protection when the sh*t hits the fan.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

46. No subject Jun 27, 2008, 10:54 xXBatmanXx

I would buy one if it performed like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPQIizRp9ck

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

45. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2008, 10:25 Agent.X7

I know plenty of Israelis but the reason that some of them are white is because their ancestors spend 1000 some years mingling and interbreeding with Europeans you jackass.
You and Agent are both idiots. It's commonly accepted that he probably had Olive skin, as most Israeli's and other nationalities in that region still have to this day. Has nothing to do with European breeding.

Please refrain from further lowering our IQs, or I shall be forced to sue you for assaulting my brain.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

44. smart car crash test Jun 27, 2008, 04:20 Fletch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s

43. Re: Smart Cars Jun 27, 2008, 03:02 jimnms

the car does have a rigid body compared to other compacts but it also means larger transfer of force to the occupants. there are no crumple zones in the smart car frame. its product brochure only mentions that the rigid frame of the car "should trigger crumple zones" of the other vechile during a collision. and that is supposed to be a selling point? i wouldnt want to be in a smart car during a collision.

The IIHS gives it the highest ratings for front and side impact, and the NHTSA gives it 5 starts for driver protection.

In an earlier magazine review I read, the Smart does have crumple zones in the front, the engine is in the rear and is designed to breaks off and slide under the car if hit from the rear. The shell is also designed to transfer some of the energy through the rigid frame to be absorbed in the rear of the car, and the steering column is designed to drop out of the way in a crash so the driver does not slam into it.

http://www.greencar.com/features/smart-car/

Steam Profile

42. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 23:06 mag

Nothing the Libs have said has come true.

It's not a "libs" issue so much, I don't think. I've known conservatives, liberals, and swing voters for gun control. I consider myself pretty liberal, and as such I'm all about leaving the Bill of Rights alone, which includes the 2nd amendment.

41. No subject Jun 26, 2008, 22:22 xXBatmanXx

Everyone raving about "crash tests" - I will be sure to share pictures from the first wreck on the highway I see with one.....I guarantee the driver dies.

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

40. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 22:07 CreamyBlood

You and Agent are both idiots. It's commonly accepted that he probably had Olive skin, as most Israeli's and other nationalities in that region still have to this day. Has nothing to do with European breeding.

The few short statements you've made leads me to believe that you don't have any knowledge of ancient, modern nor religious history.

Or you went to school in some really weird place.

39. Re: Smart Cars Jun 26, 2008, 21:27 zirik

They do quite well in a crash test, better than some small cars, and better than most large SelfishUrbanVvehicles.

the car does have a rigid body compared to other compacts but it also means larger transfer of force to the occupants. there are no crumple zones in the smart car frame. its product brochure only mentions that the rigid frame of the car "should trigger crumple zones" of the other vechile during a collision. and that is supposed to be a selling point? i wouldnt want to be in a smart car during a collision.

like other have already said... the smart car is more expensive than the corolla and other compact cars. with the same mileage but without the rear seat and trunk space it is not a good value. that is the reason why it has been in a test market in seattle for almost 7 years now and it still has not picked up enough support from consumers. only in california and in particular hollywood has the smart car become the item to buy because it is more a status symbol than a serious attempt at conservation.

38. W T F ? ? Jun 26, 2008, 20:52 MMORPGHoD

Drudge headline.

NO ICE AT NORTH POLE THIS SUMMER

Is this true or is this more hyped up junk? Holy crap. Someone with some North Pole knowledge here care to comment???

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 20:54.

37. Re: Smart Cars Jun 26, 2008, 20:43 Syntarsus

No one NEEDS an 8 or even a 6 cylinder unless theres a good reason for the needed extra power (work, towing, etc).

Living in Vegas, I can say having the extra power is useful at the ramp meters, where you must blast off from 0 to 60 before the construction truck barreling down the freeway makes you his hood ornament.

36. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 20:21 Krovven

I know plenty of Israelis but the reason that some of them are white is because their ancestors spend 1000 some years mingling and interbreeding with Europeans you jackass.

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

35. Re: Smart Cars Jun 26, 2008, 20:07 Dan =0)

My Brother and I picked up a Scion XB (Toaster on wheels) when they came out and have been happy as hell with it. The thing has one of the best drivers position of any car I've ever owned (I've owned close to 40), plenty of room and its great on gas.

Heh. "Toaster (or box) on wheels" is why some people I know wouldn't drive it; that, and the fact that the older models at least seemed smallish from the outside.

For comparison's sake, I'm driving a '98 Hyundai Elantra station wagon that, if my calculation is correct, gets around 29MPG overall. Not great, not bad, I guess. Heck fun to drive, though, as it has a manual shift, which no one in my family would touch with a 40-foot pole. (They all drive automatics.)

Dan =0)

Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/dankupkamusic
http://drdkmusic.net76.net

34. Re: Smart Cars Jun 26, 2008, 19:59 Hump

A local Oil Change place has had one since they hit the market. We stopped and checked it out and to be perfectly honest, I think they're hot shit. I wouldn't want to do a cross-country trip but for everyday driving its what we all should be looking at for a future purchase. No one NEEDS an 8 or even a 6 cylinder unless theres a good reason for the needed extra power (work, towing, etc). This arms race of "I wanna make sure my family is safe so I'm driving a Lincoln Navigator, Escalade, Hummer, etc" is bullshit. Its fucking ego. I can't count how many individuals I've seen driving those tanks all alone wasting fuel for their pampered ass.

My Brother and I picked up a Scion XB (Toaster on wheels) when they came out and have been happy as hell with it. The thing has one of the best drivers position of any car I've ever owned (I've owned close to 40), plenty of room and its great on gas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

33. Re: Smart Cars Jun 26, 2008, 19:16 Enahs

My mom was one of the first to get a Smart Car here in the US. I too smile a little every time I see it. But it is really roomy and has some get up and go. And chicks dig it.

As for safety, it has extremley well safety ratings. Better then most trucks and SUV's sold in the US.

Not that I would buy one.

*edit*
And no, high-way driving is not scary. I had her car up to 95MPH and it handled just fine and felt safe.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 19:20.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

32. Re: Smart Cars Jun 26, 2008, 18:48 jimnms

They have passed US crash tests, but I can't believe that they would fare very well in a crash with a larger vehicle.
I'm also very disappointed in their price and gas mileage. For the same price you can get a Focus or Corolla that gets nearly the same mileage and probably safer too. I felt the Smart Car should get a minimum of 60mpg for it to be taken seriously.

They do quite well in a crash test, better than some small cars, and better than most large SelfishUrbanVvehicles. The diesel SMART gets 70-80MPG, but it's not available in the US.

My VW Jetta Wagon TDI, seats 5, has tons of cargo room and gets 38-42MPG average. Just leadfooting it around town I can still get 35MPG, and pure highway I'll see 45-46.

Steam Profile

31. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 18:32 Agent.X7

Don't know many Israeli people I'm guessing?

Congratulations, you have now lowered the IQ of everyone who read your response. I hope you are satisfied.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo