Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crysis Warhead Details

Tiscali Games has some skinny on what to expect from Crysis Warhead, based on a Czech preview of Crytek's upcoming shooter. Among the details are that the game will have more of a nonlinear "sandbox" feel, and that the campaign should last 8-10 hours. They conclude with a reminder that this month's issue of PC Gamer magazine will offer more information on the project.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 12:59 Krovven

I thought Sins sales were listed at one point as being over 800,000 or am I thinking of another game? If 300,000 sales is true, it's not a strong argument against copy protection that people have been wanting to claim.

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on Jun 26, 13:03.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 12:10 Ray Marden

I will wait for some demos and any future demo, but for now, I'm fine with the idea of skipping this one.

Crysis was a very good game that kind of got worse and worse the farther you played it - the ending segments are really bad. I do not see them really addressing that aspect of the game and then this is not even a continuation of that game?

I would rather continue on and have them do the next game "right" than a relatively short side story that focuses on a minor side character of the same story I already played.

I have to wait and see - maybe this will be amazingly great - but I just imagine people can get more of a story from Crysis and more of a sandbox from Far Cry. I know it is not intended this way, but they're otherwise asking us to pay full price for a minor expansion and a performance/A.I. patch...
And I'm sorry, but it still seems like Crytek pulled this out its ass.
Wondering if I mentioned how stupid the ending segment was,
Ray

-----
I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks; who's first?
http://www.flagshipped.com/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

14. ... Jun 26, 2008, 09:01 theyarecomingforyou

I just don't think the nanosuit was a good idea. I'd find myself walking 15 metres with cloak, then stopping in some bushes to recharge, then walking 15 more metres etc, constantly.. Really killed the flow of the game.
Yeah, that was one of my biggest gripes with the game - it was simply too gimmicky. It was also too much effort to be changing back and forth, which made it more of a chore than a useful gameplay feature.

I think a lot of the complaining really did come the crowd who were pissed about not being able to run it properly at the time.
No, I moaned because the plot / acting was shit - it was pretty much certain it was going to be once they announced aliens, repeating the mistake they made with the mutants in Far Cry. The performance was also terrible, even on my 8800GT - I thought games like UT3 / TF2 looked better and they definitely performed better. Heck, the benchmarks for the ATi 4870 have come out and we're still talking about very low figures.

Then there was the poor AI, dodgy physics and atrocious multiplayer. I really didn't find much to enjoy with Crysis and a lot of people I speak to feel the same way. Crysis Warhead is an opportunity to address the issues with the original game but already it looks to be a failure by focusing on Psycho.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

13. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 08:27 peteham

I rather liked Crysis, at least the first few levels before you saw a single alien.. But I agree, it's missing something that Far Cry had. For all the possible size of outside levels, it was quite linear, for one, and I just don't think the nanosuit was a good idea. I'd find myself walking 15 metres with cloak, then stopping in some bushes to recharge, then walking 15 more metres etc, constantly.. Really killed the flow of the game... And of course, the entire second half of Crysis was crap.

The game DID have some really good sections though, and honestly, I think a lot of the complaining really did come the crowd who were pissed about not being able to run it properly at the time. I'll probably pick Warhead up if it features more levels like assault or the open style of that tank-level, and significantly fewer aliens..

12. No subject Jun 26, 2008, 05:37 Paketep

Crysis is pretty. Certainly nothing more. Far Cry blows it out of the (island) water, gameplay speaking.

They sold a lot more than they deserved, specially considering the rig you need to move it in high detail.

Despite that, they have the gall to say they sold poorly because of piracy. Poorly?. They should be overjoyed!

If Warhead moves better with an inferior rig, all the better for them and for us, although I'll wait for reviews this time.

I'm sure getting tired of all these developers blaming everything on piracy. Yeah, sure, your game is boring because some kid downloaded it from a torrent.

11. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 04:25 manic half

i installed farcry last night. it was a solid reminder of why crysis is so bloody boring.

the gunplay is so stale and un-interesting. i cant quite put my finger on it, but there is something thats just 'fun' about farcry and i was quite literally bored the entire time with crysis. i kept waiting for the fun bit. never appeared.

also, sins is awesome.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 04:28.

10. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 03:17 aldo_14

All I know is that Crysis topped European sales charts for far longer than Sins did, and as we all know, European sales figures are far more reliable when it comes to PC gaming than US sales. Either way, it looks pretty silly to cast doubt on what EA says to their shareholders. If Crysis didn't sell those numbers, or if Crysis sold poorly, EA wouldn't have said anything at all.

Given that Sins didn't secure a european (retail) distributor until fairly recently (and I'm not 100% sure how much of the EU is covered), it wouldn't be a fair comparison anyways.

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

9. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 03:13 Jerykk

I thought Crysis was one of the best shooters of 2007.

Unfortunately, that's not really saying much given that the majority of shooters were console ports.

I know it flies in the face of everything you believe in, but until reliable sources say otherwise - and even NPD says that NPD isn't reliable anymore when it comes to PC games - Crysis sold about a million and a half units.

Well, if that is indeed fact, it's all the more reason for them not to complain. Most developers would love to sell that many units and many games deserve to sell that many but don't. Crytek just looks greedy when it bemoans how it only sold 1.5 million units.

8. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 02:55 elefunk

I disagree. I thought Crysis was one of the best shooters of 2007. I fully understand how some people have different opinions, but don't confuse subjective opinion with objective fact.

All I know is that Crysis topped European sales charts for far longer than Sins did, and as we all know, European sales figures are far more reliable when it comes to PC gaming than US sales. Either way, it looks pretty silly to cast doubt on what EA says to their shareholders. If Crysis didn't sell those numbers, or if Crysis sold poorly, EA wouldn't have said anything at all.

Whether you like EA as a company or like their games or not, they are not stupid enough to lie to their shareholders. I know it flies in the face of everything you believe in, but until reliable sources say otherwise - and even NPD says that NPD isn't reliable anymore when it comes to PC games - Crysis sold about a million and a half units.
This comment was edited on Jun 26, 02:56.

7. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 02:30 Jerykk

Crysis has allegedly sold 1.5 million copies. According to EA. All I know is that Sins of a Solar Empire was in the top 10 sales of the NPD charts for a lot longer than Crysis was.

As for spending money on hardware instead of software, there is probably some merit to that except I highly, highly doubt that everyone who pirated Crysis had high-end systems.

In any case, all these factors are simply scapegoats. Crysis wasn't a great game. It didn't deserve to sell 10 million units. If EA and Crytek made a profit, they should be happy because there are a whole lots of developers who made much better games and went out of business anyway.

6. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 02:16 elefunk

While I agree on the multi-platform part - I was simply stating what Crytek said in the interview - Crysis has sold approximately 5 times what Sins has sold. Crysis is at around 1.5 million right now, while as of 1-2 weeks ago, Sins was at 300,000.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10981&Itemid=2

If you look at profits vs. investment, it will likely tell a different story than those sales numbers, but I think Cevat Yerli is right when it comes to people deciding what they want to spend their money on.

5. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 02:07 Jerykk

-The perception that multi-platform development will dumb down PC versions

It's not perception, it's fact.

Fact: A gaming PC is more powerful than a console.
Fact: A mouse is faster and more accurate than an analog stick.
Fact: A keyboard has more keys than a gamepad has buttons.
Fact: A monitor is much better at displaying detailed information than a TV.

When you develop a game for multiple platforms, you are not going to set the bar with the best platform. No, you set the bar with the lowest platform so that you can put minimal time and effort into porting the game over to the other platforms. With cross-platform development, you simply don't have the time or resources to create a game that takes advantage of the unique strengths of every platform.

It's really amazing that people don't grasp this concept. Every design choice is affected by each platform the game has to be ported to. Even if the lead platform is the PC, the developers are going to make sure that they don't do anything that can't translate easily over to the console versions.

Doesn't agree with Brad Wardell on piracy, says the problem is people choosing between spending money on hardware or spending money on software.

Let's see here: Sins of a Solar Empire was on the top 10 sales charts a lot longer than Crysis. Who has the better business sense..?

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 02:08.

4. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 01:32 elefunk

Here are some better details from IGN and PC Gamer:

PC Gamer information:
Crytek is mainly focusing on dealing with a perception problem:
-Performance, what it *actually* takes to run the game
-Sales, specifically saying it's sold about 1.5 million copies
-The perception that multi-platform development will dumb down PC versions

Crysis Warhead is a PC exclusive

Warhead is a full sized game, following Psycho during the events of Crysis. Not just a standalone expansion

Psycho's known appearance allows for 3rd-person cutscenes. Don't scoff - they could be used to teach you nanosuit techniques. I'll believe it when I see it though...

Prophet's story isn't touched in this game, but his story could be in yet another "sidequel". Ugh, what about addressing the cliffhanger ending?

Game starts when Psycho leaves Nomad (main character from first game) about half-way through the first game. Ends sometime before he shows back up on the aircraft carrier

Single player campaign of about 8-10 hours, beefed up multiplayer game (I'll go over it later)

Crytek's aim with Warhead is specifically to satisfy critics of the first game

Yerli admits that designing the game with future scalability was a "mistake", and that they should have released those higher settings later with a patch

"If you were able to run Crysis, you'll be able to run Warhead better" -Cevat Yerli

In addition to better performance, Warhead includes a new "global ambient lighting" system, lighting and shadowing improvements, and new particle effects - none of which impact framerates on current-gen machines

You don't need Vista and DX10 this time around for the highest-end effects - you can max out the graphics with DX9 on XP

AI improvements - aliens have more human-like organizations, enemies have better group tactics, korean combat chatter improves

Unlike Crysis' linear focus towards the end, Warhead maintains scripted and sandbox aspects, better integrated throughout the game. Vehicles remain important throughout it

You'll never be forced into a vehicle - they always remain options in Warhead

Yerli admits that announcing Crysis too early may have hurt the game - Warhead will ship this year, and from now on, he hopes to announce games merely 3 months before their release

Psycho's suit abilities will be the same as Nomad's, but Crytek says there might be a surprise later in the game.

Multiplayer

Warhead includes everything that Crysis has, including stuff added to the game post-release

Includes a third mode to the first Instant Action and Power Struggle modes

New mode isn't named yet, will be less complex than Power Struggle, but be more involved than instant Action

New maps feature more vertical environments, wide gaps to encourage strength jumps and such

All vehicles - including the new amphibious APC - will be available in multiplayer

Interview clips

Doesn't agree with Brad Wardell on piracy, says the problem is people choosing between spending money on hardware or spending money on software. Basically hopes that now that people have the hardware, they'll spend their money on Crysis

Says that yes, Crysis sold well, Crytek/EA made a profit despite the big budget of the game, but sales could have been better. Yes, 15-20 pirated copies for 1 sold copy doesn't mean they could have sold 15-20 times as much, but he thinks selling double the amount isn't an unreasonable estimate

Crysis 2's development depends heavily on Warhead's success

Cross-platform development would involve two teams, avoiding the "distilled, easier to access experience" that console games need on the PC version

Crytek's previous GDC announcement involving PS3 development is not Crysis-related

Pushing PC hardware? "I think we wouldn't be Crytek if each platform didn't have its technology pushed."

The PC Gamer $653 Warhead Machine

Crytek built its own machine capable of running the game "silky smooth", with "all the bells and whistles turned on". Considering that it has an 8600GT, I'll take it with a grain of salt, but Dan Stapleton confirmed in a PC Gamer Podcast thread that they absolutely did play the game on this machine, and it was running on High details.

Shuttle SG31G2S Barebone Case - $239.99
Intel Pentium E2180 2.0GHz Dual-Core CPU - $82.99
Samsung SH-S203B DVD Burner - $29.99
Hitachi Deskstar 7K160 160GB hard drive - $48.99
A-Data 2GB DDR2 SDRAM - $45.99
MSI GeForce 8600GT 512MB video card - $94.99
Vista Home Premium - $109.99

Don't forget that you can easily find a case/power supply solution for cheaper than that! It would compensate for the mouse, keyboard, speakers, and monitor you might need.

IGN information:
IGN's preview: http://pc.ign.com/articles/884/884351p1.html

I'm mostly stoked for this:

The designers gave us a view of one of early levels in the game, Ambush. Right off the bat it's intense. VTOL transports are coming in to drop off Marines, the radio is full of chatter, and jet fighters are dropping bombs left and right. Think of the opening of the Crysis level Assault, but with that amount of energy sustained throughout. It's all very loud and frantic, but this isn't an attempt to make a linear-game like Call of Duty. Warhead still embraces the series' philosophy of the nanosuit, the high-tech power suit that lets you alter your strategy and tactics on the fly. The battlefields are still large and open, and this gives you an incredible number of options when in a fight. You can stealth and hide to restore your health or ambush an opponent. Use strength to leap atop buildings and hit your enemy from above. Or you can use speed to zip from one location to another. "The core gameplay is still Veni, Vidi, Vici," Yerli said, referring to the Latin term "I came, I saw, I conquered."
With Assault being easily my favorite level in Crysis, seeing as it's basically a combination of the intensity of Call of Duty 4 but with the openness of Far Cry, I couldn't be more happy to read this.

They mention the same $652 computer that PC Gamer does, so I'm starting to think that the 8600GT making the game look good isn't a fluke after all. They say:

"Performance was astonishingly smooth and fluid even with a high level of graphical detail."

3. Re: No Subject Jun 26, 2008, 00:42 CreamyBlood

...and that the campaign should last 8-10 hours.

I just finished playing Half Life 2 Episode 2 and it took me 10.9 hours to complete. It was intense, polished and way more fun than I expected.

I think it's going for fifteen bucks (I just bought the Orange Box).

So sure, give me an 8-10 hour game and I'll pay you ten to thirteen dollars, if it's good.

2. Re: No Subject Jun 25, 2008, 21:37 Evil Timmy

Give me a level as awesome as Far Cry's "Rebellion", where a grey dawn breaks over a massive chunk of island which you could cover via multiple paths, many optional battles, huge you vs trigens vs soldiers battles, and I'll be happy. I'm sorta surprised I didn't see anything like it in Crysis (although some of the later levels near the tank were pretty good), where traversing a level can be done on foot, in a vehicle, mostly underground, or by paragliding, each way has multiple turns, and each replay of the level is vastly different depending on which path you walk and which enemies you fight.

Personally, I feel pretty gipped on the whole 'sandbox' thing as it stands, from everyone. So far, it seems to mean a parallel road (OMG! Choices!) or simply having to walk farther to find the generic fedex/kill quest giver. The point of a sandbox is that it lets you sculpt whatever you want and shape your play experience, if temporarily...without the sand, you've simply got walls around your imagination.
This comment was edited on Jun 25, 21:37.

1. No Subject Jun 25, 2008, 21:16 g_mann

ZZZzzzzzzzzzz

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo