Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Limbo of the Lost Follow-up

Limbo of the Lost devs respond to plagiarism charges on GameSpot (thanks Mike Martinez and Joystiq) has word from Majestic as the developer of Limbo of the Lost finally responds to allegations that their adventure game contains elements plagiarized from other games as well as Hollywood movies (story). Majestic says they were "shocked and mortified" to learn of these allegations, saying the assets in question came from "sources external to the development team," though arguably once these were incorporated into the game those source were actually part of that development team. Here's their full statement:

In response to the shocking notification that some alleged unauthorized copyrighted materials submitted by sources external to the development team have been found within the PC game Limbo of the Lost, we (the development team) have given our consent and full cooperation to both publishers who are recalling all units from all territories immediately.

Please be assured that we do not condone in anyway the use of unauthorized copyrighted materials and if we had been made aware earlier, we would of course have ceased development of the product and rectified the issue prior to the publication process.

To the best of our knowledge no one at Majestic, [European publisher] G2Games or [North American publisher Tri Synergy, Inc.] knew about this infringement and knowingly played any part in it.

We can only apologise to all regarding this issue, as a team we are shocked and mortified regarding these events and we continue to work with said publishers in order to rectify the issue.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2008, 03:10 rocketpcguy

the intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pciyjpdqH4&hl=en
says that the "visuals and animation" was done by that steve guy. no other name relating to the visuals was mentioned.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. No subject Jun 26, 2008, 21:43 Dev

>U & Slink:
LOL!

25. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 21:36 >U

2 weeks later, and this is the best you can come up with?
You actually expected something honest or original from a guy who blatantly copied material from a dozen or so other products without permission?

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 21:36.

24. No subject Jun 26, 2008, 20:37 Slink

How I saw this went down:

TriSynergy: Hey guys... what the fuck?
Majestic: Sorry mate, our bad. Mulligan?
TriSynergy: Guys, you stole from DISNEY. MOTHERFUCKING DISNEY. They have their own WORLD. And LAND. What the hell were you thinking?
Majestic: Shit man, we already said sorry. How did you get out of this mess?
TriSynergy: We told them we had no idea and blamed it all on you.
Majestic: Brilliant! We'll blame someone else!
TriSynergy: Someone else? You DEVELOPED the fucking game! Who the hell are you going to blame?
Majestic: You know... someone else. Not us.
TriSynergy: What if someone calls you out on that obvious bullshit cover story?
Majestic: Well that's easy! We'll blame the companies that we... err, someone else... stole the stuff from! If they didn't MAKE it in the first place, how could we have STOLEN it?
TriSynergy: Jesus. How did we ever sign a contract with you people?
Majestic: You didn't. We stole the contract, too.

- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)
This comment was edited on Jun 26, 20:47.

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

23. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 14:27 Acragas

2 weeks later, and this is the best you can come up with?

22. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 14:08 sponge

sponge: But it WASNT just one lol. It was lots and lots. And not just from those, but other games, and even movies.

I live a very sheltered life

[edit] I would've definitely noticed the RTCW ones. I guess it's just a lot of games I never really played in-depth.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 14:12.

21. No subject Jun 26, 2008, 12:09 xXBatmanXx

And Amazon.com is still selling them from their warehouse! hahahahaha

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. No subject Jun 26, 2008, 10:59 xXBatmanXx

ummm, total BS. Blame it on the intern I guess. You can't work on a game and NOT know where the content is coming from. Morans.

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: ... Jun 26, 2008, 10:03 morose

I'm fairly certain nobody worked on this game for "years". Maybe a few months, and then *punt* out the door it went. Since a massive amount of time in a point-click adventure is spent on the art, they essentially shortcut their way to an even faster release by grabbing other folks' work.

Of course the devs are talking out their ass with this press release. The main purpose is simply to once again absolve their publisher.

18. ... Jun 26, 2008, 08:23 theyarecomingforyou

How the fuck can the developer be shocked at the plagiarism? I believe the publisher but this is simply bullshit. I just don't understand how they can work on a game for years but have no creative control or input over the backdrops, the most important aspect of the game. I want to beat these people with a giant spoon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

17. No subject Jun 26, 2008, 02:05 Dev

sponge: But it WASNT just one lol. It was lots and lots. And not just from those, but other games, and even movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo_of_the_Lost#Plagiarism

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 02:06.

16. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 01:39 sponge

There is only a remote chance they were truly unaware of this. Did nobody play their own game at Majestic? Nobody there played Oblivion? That nobody bothered to "look" at any of the material their "outside sources" were sending them?

Not to defend them, but I wandered around Oblivion for 40 hours, and if you showed me that scene, I never would've noticed. Thief 3, it's been even longer since I've played that. Whoever did it probably thought no one would ever notice one building being taken out of the miles of land and content in the game.

15. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 00:55 CreamyBlood

they knew damn well where the art came from. there is an old post by one of the creators of the game stating HE MADE THE MAPS.

What maps? You mean the static backdrops right? You do realize this is a point and click adventure game I hope.

Edit: Okay, you probably do realize what it's all about. I was just thinking of semantics, to me, MAPS means anything from Dungeon Master's level layouts to Enemy Territories 'MAPS', or like Quake 3's maps.

And of course, linking any exit to an entrance on a new screen is a 'map', even if it is pretty much static.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 01:09.

14. Re: Losers Jun 26, 2008, 00:14 UttiniDaKilrJawa

I love that Ministry song.

13. Losers Jun 25, 2008, 23:37 Riker

Now they're thieves, and liars.

12. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 23:29 Kxmode

Rank on PC: 9 of 9,969

Reminds me of the movie Untraceable. The more people buy the game the faster it kills the company.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

11. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 23:12 manic half

they knew damn well where the art came from. there is an old post by one of the creators of the game stating HE MADE THE MAPS.

theyve just had a week to work out which angle they want to plead innocence.

10. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 23:03 MMORPGHoD

How can you develop a game without knowing where the art came from? Why isn't he pointing the finger at the guy who gave them the art to use in the game??? You can't just say he had no idea where all this copyrighted stuff (and there is a ton of it) came from. He must know who it is, unless they aren't the people who developed the game. Did they just take the money and subcontract it out?

9. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 22:51 PointlesS

heh gamespot's stats on the game:
Rank on PC: 9 of 9,969

8. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 22:26 m00t

Additionally... most people who make games... play games... So I really doubt someone just randomly threw in art assets from such a variety of games and it just 'slipped by'. Seriously, not a single bit of original work except the snow that was very BADLY photoshopped on to the ground. The quality difference didn't tip them off there? eh?

Their whole story just REEKs of bullshit from start to finish.

They're complete liars and if only they had enough money to be worth suing to Oblivion. Pun intended.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 22:27.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo