Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

UT3 Community Bonus Pack 3- Volume 1

Community Bonus Pack Page now offers Community Bonus Pack 3- Volume 1 for Unreal Tournament 3, offering eight new maps for the PC or PS3 editions of Epic's shooter sequel. Word is: "The bonus pack features 8 new levels: 5 DM, 1 CTF, 1 VCTF & 1 WAR. Please see our Content section for more info, and go to our Download section to get it.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 18:57 >U

It does not compare to the original UT
It most certainly does. Before I bought UT3 recently I still played UT at least once a week and had done so for the past few years. UT3 is not identical to UT, but UT3 is still UT in all the ways that really count from the character scale, movement, weapons, to the remade maps. Since I started playing UT3 I haven't even touched UT and likely won't.

The Original UT was by far the best version released.
From a content perspective, UT2004 was the best version. It has more included game modes, character models, maps, features, mod utilities and tutorials, and complexity than any version of UT. Whether or not that makes it the best game is of course subjective, but it was certainly the best value for the money. And, while I like UT3, there are some things I still miss from UT2004.

UT 2004 with a new graphics engine would have been way better than this thing.
That is a fairly accurate description of UT3 already except that UT3 has many things removed or missing compared to UT2004. UT3 is better graphically than UT2004, no doubt about it. But as a game it much more closely resembles UT than UT2004.

Warefare is not Onslaught...the large Onslaught type maps...& the gameplay jsut isn't there.
Just stop with the bullshit. Torlan in UT3 is the same size and the same layout (in the classic version of the map in UT3) as Torlan in UT2004. Yes, UT2004 has more Onslaught/Warfare maps than UT3 and some of them are larger, but Warfare gameplay is still Onslaught right down to the fucked-up overtime rules. The included Warfare maps in UT3 are not tiny by a longshot and of course plenty of Onslaught maps from UT2004 are being ported by users to UT3. In addition scores of quality Warfare maps from experienced community developers are being created for The Make Something Unreal contest. There are plenty of good Warfare maps to play and more are on the way. Epic will likely also release some addition maps in the future as well, but even if it doesn't, the maps already in the game are a decent selection.

That is why there are maybe 500 people playing UT3 & at least 5 times that amount playing UT2004.
No, it's because UT2004 is far less expensive than UT3 (although that is also changing with UT3's price falling due to competition and excessive inventory) and because it requires less powerful hardware to run well.

Like I said I play the game cause I want some real deathmatch action but the game sucks.
If UT3 sucks, then shut up complaining about it and fire up the original UT instead if you really think it's better.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 23:07.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 17:55 4D-Boxing

I'm one of the 8 people that plays this game...

It does not compare to the original UT, or any of the following versions. The Original UT was by far the best version released.

UT 2004 with a new graphics engine would have been way better than this thing.

Warefare is not Onslaught...the large Onslaught type maps promissed never materialized in the end product & the gameplay jsut isn't there. That is why there are maybe 500 people playing UT3 & at least 5 times that amount playing UT2004.

On personal note, I love deathmatch & UT3 is the only option at this moment when it comes to new titles. CoD4 Deathmatch is a joke. ALmostlike if the game was designed for spawn killing. People just lay down next to spawn points & rack up the kills.

Unless you are desperate for some deathmatch action like me this game is not even worth the box it came in! I was the biggest UT 99 fan ... You do not want to know what I would do to CliffyB... that kid better go work for MS & shut his trap.

THis game bombed so hard that heating & cooling technicians are giving away UT3 T-shirts for free.. I guess no one bought what ever special edition that had the T-shirt included LOL!!

Like I said I play the game cause I want some real deathmatch action but the game sucks.

21. No subject Jun 26, 2008, 13:29 Hobeaux

It's not enough like World of Warcraft! I keep looking for the trainers so I can learn buffs... but I can't find them! How am I supposed to level up?

20. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 13:02 >U

As matter of fact he just released it
Thanks for the update. From the screenshot it looks like he has done a fantasic job. He should definitely get a prize in the Make Something Unreal Contest. I had been periodically checking the forum thread on Epic's forums, but it has gotten too large to easily stay updated.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 13:06.

19. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 11:48 kn0w1

at least one modder is working on a Uwindow system for UT3,

As matter of fact he just released it (according to http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=11908).
I haven't tried it yet, but you can get it here:
http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/UWindow2

18. Re: Whine, bitch, complain Jun 26, 2008, 10:50 Prez

I think it's pretty telling of the state of the PC Gaming audience that you can have such opposing descriptions.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Whine, bitch, complain Jun 26, 2008, 09:26 mag

Damn you people like to complain a lot!

It's too similar to UT!
It's too similar to UT2K4!
It's too different from UT!
It's too different from UT2K4

Personally, I think UT3 sucks because it's not enough like Freecell and too similar to MOO2.

16. Re: #6 Jun 26, 2008, 07:32 Slink

None... thats the problem.

Stop trolling. There are large differences between the two, and I would have much rather had an "updated" version of UT04 released than the incarnation we have now.

- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

15. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 23:46 >U

Unfortunately, they decided to toss in a bunch of worthless vehicles, thereby tainting the integrity of the game.
You can easily avoid the vehicles by sticking to deathmatch and standard CTF. Only one official deathmatch map has a walker on it, and it is easy enough to leave that map out of the rotation or to use a mutator to prevent the walker from spawning on the map (You can play all of the Warfare and vehicular CTF maps without vehicles the same way.). Personally I like the addition of the walker on that map for team deathmatch play. But, it's not really a vehicle in the traditional sense and is easy enough to bring down with the standard weapons.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 03:02.

14. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 23:29 Wowbagger_TIP

If UT3 were a remake, I'd probably buy it. Unfortunately, they decided to toss in a bunch of worthless vehicles, thereby tainting the integrity of the game.
Some of the vehicles are pretty fun, and even the hoverboards, which I was pretty skeptical of at first, have grown on me. I guess you could play game modes that don't have vehicles if you don't like them. For $30 or less now, the game is a great deal.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

13. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 23:24 Jerykk

UT3 is basically a remake of the original UT right down to the weapons, movement, character scale, and maps (several of which are terrific remakes).

If UT3 were a remake, I'd probably buy it. Unfortunately, they decided to toss in a bunch of worthless vehicles, thereby tainting the integrity of the game.

12. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 22:23 >U

Still don't like the menu system, but I don't spend a lot of time in it, so I don't really care about that.
Agreed. The UT3 menus are functional, but too simplistic compared to UT2004 and even the original UT. Fortunately basically everything missing from the menus can be accomplished from command-line parameters and the INI files as with UT and UT2004, so the menu system is not a deal breaker. Even if Epic doesn't fill out the menus, at least one modder is working on a Uwindow system for UT3, so the menus will eventually get fixed one way or another.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 22:25.

11. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 22:16 Wowbagger_TIP

I've enjoyed UT3. Still don't like the menu system, but I don't spend a lot of time in it, so I don't really care about that. The game itself is fun, and I think an improvement over 2004. I used to be a hardcore original UT player. Did the whole clan thing for a few years and had a lot of fun. This game could be a lot of fun too if more people were playing it. I just have a hard time finding servers with people on them where I don't have a 200+ ping.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 22:05 >U

What are the main differences between UT2004 and UT3?
UT3 is basically a remake of the original UT right down to the weapons, movement, character scale, and maps (several of which are terrific remakes). UT3 does borrow the vehicular CTF and Onslaught modes from UT2004, but aside from that it has much more in common with the original UT than UT2004. In UT3 Onslaught mode is now called "Warfare" mode but don't let the name change fool you. It's still essentially Onslaught mode with the optional addition of "orbs" so a team can capture a node quicker by carrying an orb to it.

If you like UT, you'll like UT3. It's the familiarity of UT with much better graphics and with ragdoll physics. UT2004 users may be disappointed by the missing gameplay modes (I miss Bombing Run and Assault), missing advanced movement moves (you can't dodge up ramps in UT3), and missing content as UT3 has fewer maps and characters than UT2004 and no included UT2004 map remakes aside from Torlan that I can recall. UT3 still has plenty of content, but is more comparable to the original UT in amount. UT3 does have a new character model customization capability which allows a new degree of customization to the player models, but it's only for aesthetics so it doesn't affect gameplay.

Personally I like UT3 a lot, and it's the only multiplayer game I am playing right now. The bots are superb as usual for a UT game, and I like the weapons and movement even better than the original UT in some respects as it is slightly different, e.g. the rocket launcher fire rate is faster. The game's not perfect though, and I do miss many of the maps and gameplay modes from UT2004. I don't miss UT2004's movement complexity or the disproportionately small scale of its characters to the maps though. Fortunately users have recreated several of UT2004's great maps like Grendelkeep and Rankin to fill in some of the gaps in UT3's included map selection. Overall UT3 is different enough from UT and UT2004 to warrant a purchase yet familiar enough to be enjoyable. If you like UT or UT2004, you'll get plenty of hours of play out of UT3.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 23:05.

9. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 21:58 Rosco

No, UT Rocked, UT2003 sucked ballz, UT2004 was only slightly better, UT3 is meh.  
Consoles are schwag.

8. #6 Jun 25, 2008, 21:54 necrosis

None... thats the problem.

7. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 21:54 MuzixMon

Well, to put it simply...
UT2004 rocked and UT3 sucks!
...The End

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

6. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 21:50 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 21:40 Ecthelion

Judging from some posts here, some people think this was made by Epic. As the name implies, this was made by the community. They probably would have made it even if Epic wasn't still patching the game, so support has little to do with it.

4. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 21:32 Maskatron

UT 99 and 2004 were the peaks of this franchise I'm afraid. Still, I grabbed the CE of this for $12 a week ago, and I say the game is worth it if you can get it cheap (which you can now). Nice to see they're still supporting it.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo