Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek - EU Thinks Shooters are Bad, Mmmkay?

Forbes quotes Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli expressing the opinion that Europeans tend to regard first-person shooters as "evil" (thanks Mike Martinez and Computer and Video Games). Here's a bit from the latest comparison between the tastes of European and North American game players, which seems like the gaming equivalent of rap's east coast/west coast rivalry, hopefully with fewer actual shootings:

Across the pond, consumers prefer racing and soccer games to blockbuster action, adventure and first-person shooter games that are the staple of the U.S. diet. Indeed, Europeans view such games as "evil," says Cevat Yerli, chief executive of Crytek, a German game developer that specializes in first-person shooters.

Guns and gore also don't sell as well in Europe because Europeans like short, so-called casual games, rather than the long, epic tales that keep gamers pounding on their consoles for hours at a stretch. Casual games also fit the European lifestyle better: People can play these short games on trains and subways on their way to work.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: ... Jun 26, 2008, 05:14 Katsumoto

If you meant football, the market over here IS flooded with them We get a new FIfa and Pro Evo every year, after all.

I'm not sure they're into vikings that much anymore though, btw

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Cvat, what a kidder. Jun 25, 2008, 18:25 Wowbagger_TIP

The richest country in the world based on the Gross Domestic Product per capita is Luxembourg since over 10 years, the country in the middle of Europe where I am spending my life.
Money laundering is quite profitable

I think the argument about whether a particular geography likes shooters or not is pointless. A shooter may sell better in some places just because it's a shooter, but a truly good game will sell well anywhere.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

26. Remember... Jun 25, 2008, 18:24 Reitsuki

This is the man who thinks that the sole reason Crysis was a flop was that everyone pirated the game, and hence PC games are dead.

It has nothing to do, in this man's mind, with the fact that the game was boring, or that only one gamer in 10 could run it anything approaching respectable settings, or that multiplayer was a dead-end prospect from day one, or that virtually their entire marketing plan for the game was to brag about how it would rape your system and you might as well not even bother playing even if you only bought the system yesterday. The absolute only reason Crysis was not a smash hit was we all stole it.

Well, I guess not the absolute only reason. In Europe, we also have "European gamers don't like violence".

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 18:25.

25. Crytek keeps crying... Jun 25, 2008, 18:01 Cartman

So, Europeans would rather smoke cigarettes and play Peggle on their old computers instead of buying the latest SLI-equipped quadcore system and play the overhyped Crysis? Big surprise there.

Crytek released a game that runs like crap on 99% of systems out there and even when it runs as desired isn't all that. Deleted Crysis weeks ago and still playing COD4 online every day.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 18:01.

24. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 17:40 Bone43

Just more of Crytek crying about how Crysis failed to sell well
which BTW is 100% there fault.

23. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 17:28 zirik

How many different excuses can Crytek come up with to explain why their game sold like shit?

americans are evil therefore we are all pirates and dont buy games like europeans.

22. Re: ... Jun 25, 2008, 17:22 Fuzzmatang

which seems like the gaming equivalent of rap's east coast/west coast rivalry, hopefully with fewer actual shootings:

Westsiiiiiiide! Reprazent!

I thought Europeans liked the gritty, dark colour scheme as opposed to the bright and happy one for Americans.

21. Re: ... Jun 25, 2008, 17:07 Numinar

Sorry, I oversimplified. But I am pretty sure in terms of total expendable income the U.S.A. is king, even if the individuals within that country are not as prosperous on average as your average Norwiegan/Luxemborgian/Swede. They also pay a lot less tax on what they do earn to help or near to it. Otherwise the market would be flooded with viking simulators or skiing games or foosball instead of try hard FPS.

20. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 17:07 House

How many different excuses can Crytek come up with to explain why their game sold like shit?

19. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 15:51 Prez

So ALL Europeans think FPS's are evil, huh? Over-generalize much?

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 15:51.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 15:26 xXBatmanXx

Reverse psychology or is this another way to say why their game failed miserably? Got tired of blaming piracy?

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

17. ... Jun 25, 2008, 14:49 theyarecomingforyou

Europeans view such games as "evil," says Cevat Yerli, chief executive of Crytek
lol. Epic fail.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

16. Re: Cvat, what a kidder. Jun 25, 2008, 14:20 vacs

America is the worlds richest country

hehe, funny guy. America is currently the most over-depted country in the world in case you didn't know, the U.S. national debt is now around 7.7 trillions dollars, increasing every single day.

The richest country in the world based on the Gross Domestic Product per capita is Luxembourg since over 10 years, the country in the middle of Europe where I am spending my life.

... to get back to the topic, Yerli is wrong, EU or more precisely EU citizens do not think that shooter are bad, at least not worse than movies or music are.

However EU citizen like most other people around to world rather tend to buy quality products with high values rather a short shooter which runs on less than 5% on the PC sold world-wide.

It's slightly different in Germany because the German media really likes to spread the "killergames" brainwashing around and most non-gaming people buy that without hesitation.

15. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 13:25 Buckermann

This may be anecdotal evidence, but literally everybody I know here in germany, who plays computergames , also plays first person shooter games (well, maybe except for my mom. Who only plays Soduko on her PC).
And of all the people I know who played Crysis, AFAIK nobody finished it.
Make of this want you want.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 13:26.

14. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 13:23 Comet

Sorry but I disagree with him. Me and pretty much most of the ppl I know that actually play games actively here in Europe.

Let me be clear about one thing. The actual gamers market over here is not that different from the States.
Actually we don't see such games as "evil" at all. Actually there is much more political action on the States regarding violence in games then over here. Don't forget that Europe is pretty much big culturally with different nations with they're pretty distinct cultural differences. For instance Germany has much more strict polices towards games than say Spain or the UK. It's like comparing apples to oranges really. But overall Europe is very very open towards games with all sorts of content. Sometimes even traditionally more open in some areas such as sex in games. I can't see anyone over here in Europe that can get to Jack Thomson's knees in terms of anti video game violence.

The so-called causal games and so on are as popular here as in the states. But obviously most of EU gamers prefer action pumped games

13. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 12:35 Lorcin

Erm no "EU thinks BAD shooters are Bad, Mmmmkay?"

They release a decent FPS not just a shiny Halo clone and maybe it will be more popular.

12. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 12:22 Reckless

Europeans like short, so-called casual games, rather than the long, epic tales that keep gamers pounding on their consoles for hours at a stretch. Casual games also fit the European lifestyle better

Is this guy for real? So just 'cause I'm in the UK I must 1) play popcap games... 2) on a console. The sooner these guys get over Crysis and piss off to console land the better!

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 12:23.

11. Hump Jun 25, 2008, 11:34 Armengar

I like the way Hump calls europeans lame yet takes the time to quote Arthur C Clarks in his signature.

Also America is quite a way from being the richest country. In fact, Norway, Cyprus, Malta and Luxembourg are richer if you are talking IMF figures.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 11:47.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

10. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 11:32 The One

I just wanted to point out the fact that "Europeans like short, so-called casual games, rather than the long, epic tales that keep gamers pounding on their consoles for hours at a stretch."

This basically boils down to limited attention spans and psychological issues regarding previous generations suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, bringing back memories about how they got their assess handed to them in wartime.....

9. No subject Jun 25, 2008, 11:09 osage no onna

Dear mr. Yerli,

Stereotypes betray a lack of cognitive capacity. It's a simple world for simple minds. There is no cohesive group that can be considered "European gamer" or "American gamer" that would somehow be defined by their geographic location rather than the million other things that make people what they are. It's no crime to be ignorant (luckily), but if you're in a position where the media is going to print your bullshit all over the place, you should really try to think about things a little before sharing your wisdom.

Kind regards,
ONO

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo