Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallen Empire: Legions Beta

Grab your jetpack, as the InstantAction Website is now allowing access to open beta testing of Fallen Empire: Legions, the online action shooter described as a spiritual successor to Starsiege TRIBES. Anyone with a free member ship can access the beta (thanks Voodoo Extreme). Word is: "Legions is bringing speed back to First Person Shooters. Jet through wide open maps as you battle it out with up to 16 players - all in your web browser. Weapons like the Chaingun and Laser Rifle help you on your path of destruction."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

11. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 01:44 Flo

Count me in! Hope to see some old school Tribes fans from this board. Nick: hoetzi
Edit: Agree with Jerykk, it's Tribes light with a strange control scheme for the jets and I don't like it starting in non-fullscreen mode. But I think this has some potential if you just wanna have a quick match with some friends, without making sure everyone has a specific game installed.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 01:54.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 01:28 Jerykk

I'm having fun so far but the lack of proper bases and stations is all too apparent. Skiing is a bit weird, as it's actually much harder to gain horizontal acceleration than it was in Tribes, even though vertical acceleration has been increased substantially. The weapons also have much faster projectiles and firing rates, which means the action is more spammy and less methodical than it was in Tribes.

Hopefully these things will get tweaked as the beta progresses.

9. No subject Jun 24, 2008, 23:49 Mecha

Even Tribes I allowed more than 16 players in a single server.

Although, I do hope it has building stuff like the Annihilation mod for Tribes I. I still play it, it is glorious.

8. Re: No subject Jun 24, 2008, 23:09 Slink

Yeah, I'm kind of reserving judgment on the maps because it's beta. I'm hoping that when launch comes we'll have bigger maps with more modes than just TDM and CTF.

- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

7. Re: No subject Jun 24, 2008, 23:08 Overon

I get pops and blips in my audio and I can't figure out how to fix it.
Also the server browser does not display correctly in firefox 3. All the server names are all moved way to the right so I can see only a couple letters of their names. I have to use IE. That's just wrong.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 23:12.

6. Re: No subject Jun 24, 2008, 23:05 Jerykk

I don't know if I'd call this a successor, but it's pretty fun in its own right. The maps are a whee bit small though and the terrain isn't terribly conducive to skiing. It's also irritating that there are force fields around the battlefield.

5. Re: No subject Jun 24, 2008, 22:57 Slink

Ok, so played with some people and.... holy crap. This IS Tribes. The gameplay is there, the edge-of-your-seat flying is there, the disc launcher is there (renamed and redesigned, but the same thing)... I hope this succeeds and grows because just one match was fun as hell. If you people want a successor to Tribes, try it and give it a shot. There's no different armor and no vehicles but the core action is all there. Skiing is in, but you hold the right mouse button to use it. What a blast!

- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)

My Steam Community link:

4. Re: No subject Jun 24, 2008, 22:28 Jerykk

I can't connect to any of the servers. I keep getting "The party leader cannot connect to players outside their network."

3. Re: No subject Jun 24, 2008, 22:07 Grokk

I had a play around in the game during closed beta and it was pretty cool. It's certainly no crysis as far as graphics are concerned, but I guess that's a given seeing as it's played in a browser window.

However I don't think it will be all that you want it to be. A lot of these games are made up by the players that played them, and the majority of players today are not the same guys we gamed with back in the day.

2. Re: No subject Jun 24, 2008, 22:03 Slink

Ok, so... booted it up, wasn't able to play with any players for some reason, but got a chance to fly around a bit.

When I first took the step off the balcony and flew off with my jetpack, the first thing I thought was...

HOLY SHIT
THIS
IS
TRIBES

It definitely has that feeling to it and it's getting me pumped just thinking about it. It doesn't seem to have different armors as far as I can tell, so the customization isn't there (at least not yet, it still is beta), but the flying, feeling, weapons, et al seem to be SPOT ON to Tribes. I can't wait to get some duels together like old times.

I'm not sure how I like the in-browser thing... graphics aren't bad, but they aren't superb - but seriously, if it's Tribes-like gameplay, that's the least of my worries. At first I was annoying that I'd be confined to the little screen until I found the full-screen option which made it much better.

I'm gonna head back and fool around with it and hopefully find some people to play with.

- - - - - -

My Steam Community link:

1. No subject Jun 24, 2008, 21:52 Slink

Please be as good as I hope. Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please...

- - - - - -

My Steam Community link:

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo