Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Fallen Empire: Legions Beta

Grab your jetpack, as the InstantAction Website is now allowing access to open beta testing of Fallen Empire: Legions, the online action shooter described as a spiritual successor to Starsiege TRIBES. Anyone with a free member ship can access the beta (thanks Voodoo Extreme). Word is: "Legions is bringing speed back to First Person Shooters. Jet through wide open maps as you battle it out with up to 16 players - all in your web browser. Weapons like the Chaingun and Laser Rifle help you on your path of destruction."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Sounds worse than Tribes Vengeance Jun 25, 2008, 14:31 Nomaar

Plays like Tribes, looks like Tribes with better graphics, has the physics of Tribes. Seems a lot like Tribes to me without the bells and whistles, which I'm sure is due to it being beta.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Sounds worse than Tribes Vengeance Jun 25, 2008, 12:58 Jerykk

but small maps and the vehicles killed it in Multiplayer (and no support/marketing etc.)

In addition to numerous other retarded changes, like dumbing down skiing, turning health packs into powerups, turning base turrets into manually-controlled defenses, turning mines into huge deployables, having corpses drop all their items, adding garish jetpack trails, introducing the wholly unbalanced grappler, etc.

29. Re: Fun Jun 25, 2008, 10:55 Brainp0wa

With its player limits, I would call it Tribes Zero.

"Its got real Tribes taste!" *has a sip.... yeah, barely.

But its better than nothing I guess.

28. Re: Fun Jun 25, 2008, 09:36 mag

I wish Valve created Tribes because it would be flourishing , It just would look a lot better and the graphics wouldnt be so cheesy.

If Valve released it it would be flourishing just because people would buy Valve's shit in a box if they sold it.

27. Re: Sounds worse than Tribes Vengeance Jun 25, 2008, 09:36 Flo

Vengeance had one hell of a great Single Player Story (I replayed it some weeks ago) but small maps and the vehicles killed it in Multiplayer (and no support/marketing etc.)  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

26. Re: Sounds worse than Tribes Vengeance Jun 25, 2008, 09:34 mag

I bought Vengeance on the cheap after support had already been dropped, and I was a huge Tribes fan. The smallness of the maps was disappointing, but honestly the game was still reasonably fun.

25. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 06:35 Slink

So after playing a bit, I have to admit that my original "OHMYGOD THIS IS AWESOME" feeling has gone, and while it does have some semblance to Tribes, everyone is right in that it is not Tribes. The action, however, is the closest I've come to Tribes in a long time, and feels even closer than Vengeance did. Maybe I'm just hoping to play Tribes again - that would be utopia - but right now I';; just have to settle for this and hope they make improvements.

- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4 (and other random FPSes): Slink(FSU)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

24. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 05:52 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

it's Tribes light

It's more like non-alcoholic Tribes.

23. Re: Fun Jun 25, 2008, 05:13 Beaner

Unfortunately, that's never going to happen. Developers don't make AAA PC-exclusive shooters anymore and there's no way Tribes would work if it was designed for a console.

And Hence the reason why more then half of them scratch their head at Valve thinking what is their magic?. I wish Valve created Tribes because it would be flourishing , It just would look a lot better and the graphics wouldnt be so cheesy.

By the way whats the deal with the Legions model. It looks like a taller than average dwarf.
This comment was edited on Jun 25, 05:15.

22. Re: Fun Jun 25, 2008, 04:09 Jerykk

My point is that you dont see other big franchises like CS:S etc changing things up all the time because things are too hardcore for new players.

The problem is that Tribes has a much steeper learning curve than CS. CS is challenging because of the competition, not because of the fundamental gameplay mechanics. Tribes is just an inherently tough game because you have to completely rethink notions of mobility, speed, aim and cover.

I'd love to see a Tribes remake with a few tweaks. Update the graphics, replace the worthless ELF with the Shock Lance, replace the Blaster with something new, maybe toss in some new turret, grenade and pack types, get rid of the medium armor (impossible to make useful), make sure there are absolutely no vehicles whatsoever and voila, you now have the best game ever.

Unfortunately, that's never going to happen. Developers don't make AAA PC-exclusive shooters anymore and there's no way Tribes would work if it was designed for a console.

21. Re: Fun Jun 25, 2008, 04:06 Flo

We definitely have to get them change the Sniper Rifle  

20. Re: Fun Jun 25, 2008, 03:49 Beaner

Well after a few matches I can say that it's good fun. I encountered some connection problems and crashes and the sniper rifle is kinda weird. But the movement is there and it's easy to jump in.

Thats the thing to be different they have to purposely make some things different and that rifle is one good example. Its funny because in many ways they try reverse engineering the game so its not exactly like Tribes but yet they can call it Tribes like 0o. So we have a laser rifle that must be charged first before you can fire versus firing and losing charge in Tribes and the binds to jet and ski are reversed. I understand about the "hardcore thing". But with every sequel or similiar game it runs into a wall because of the idea that they must change things to either make it easier or just well to be different. That hasnt fared so well for either T2 when it was released or TV.

My point is that you dont see other big franchises like CS:S etc changing things up all the time because things are too hardcore for new players.
This comment was edited on Jun 25, 03:50.

19. Fun Jun 25, 2008, 03:41 Flo

Well after a few matches I can say that it's good fun. I encountered some connection problems and crashes and the sniper rifle is kinda weird. But the movement is there and it's easy to jump in. Couldn't figure out how to default to fullscreen mode on launch, though.
Now how do they want to make money with it once out of beta? I wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it, but about 20 bucks (if there's enough content) should be okay.
Edit: @Beaner, I think they don't see the original Tribes gameplay attratcting a large audience (too hardcore) and that's why they change things. For me it would be okay if we could just have an updated Tribes 1.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 03:43.

18. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 03:40 Beaner

In all honesty I hate to call this Tribes because its not. Its similar yes, but just not quite the same. Granted its early beta but there is something about it that leaves me meh.

Its kind of frustrating being a Tribes fan. I mean seriously its such a great game and yet its been dragged through so much of "hey how can we change this" or "we need to improve that" or "nerf this" that it never ends up being the classic. Hell more than half the original fanbase will be Grandparents by the time someone actually gets it.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 03:41.

17. Re: Sounds worse than Tribes Vengeance Jun 25, 2008, 03:32 Jerykk

Oh I see now how you hardcore Tribes guys are going to handle the disappointment: through semantics and denial.

Isn't that how everyone handles disappointment..?

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 03:32.

16. Re: Sounds worse than Tribes Vengeance Jun 25, 2008, 02:56 >U

Well, this isn't technically Tribes. This is Legions.
LOL! Oh I see now how you hardcore Tribes guys are going to handle the disappointment: through semantics and denial.

15. Re: Sounds worse than Tribes Vengeance Jun 25, 2008, 02:43 Jerykk

i know a lot of hardcore tribes fans that enjoyed vengeance.

Err, really? I didn't think that was even possible.

As for Tribes Reborn, I don't really see it that way. I simply see it as "Something Similar to Tribes and Still Better Than Most of the Stuff Out There."

14. Re: Sounds worse than Tribes Vengeance Jun 25, 2008, 02:32 manic half

i know a lot of hardcore tribes fans that enjoyed vengeance.

also, most people know this is just tribes reborn. no point painting it otherwise.

13. Re: Sounds worse than Tribes Vengeance Jun 25, 2008, 02:13 Jerykk

So how exactly is this better than Tribes Vengeance?

Well, this isn't technically Tribes. This is Legions. As a sequel, Tribes: Vengeance was supposed to improve upon the previous games in all respects. It failed to even live up to its predecessors. T:V was also the nail in the coffin for the franchise, which a lot of fans are understandably upset about.

Legions, on the other hand, is viewed as a spin-off rather than a successor. As such, expectations are lower.

12. Sounds worse than Tribes Vengeance Jun 25, 2008, 01:59 >U

It doesn't seem to have different armors as far as I can tell, so the customization isn't there
The maps are a whee bit small though and the terrain isn't terribly conducive to skiing. It's also irritating that there are force fields around the battlefield
Skiing is in, but you hold the right mouse button to use it.
battle it out with up to 16 players

So how exactly is this better than Tribes Vengeance?

I personally didn't mind Tribes Vengeance as a multiplayer game if a few bugs had been fixed and the mod tools had worked right, but based upon these descriptions I don't see why all of the Tribes 1 and 2 fanatics wouldn't hate this game like they did Tribes Vengeance.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 02:06.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo