Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call Of Duty: World At War Co-op Revealed

This press release has new details about Call Of Duty: World At War, outlining plans for co-op support and promising flamethrower details (which seem to consist of the fact that the game will include a flamethrower). Here's word on the co-op support, which will allow the chance to do battle in World War II with your band of brothers:

Call of Duty: World at War introduces co-operative play, bringing fresh meaning to the “No One Fights Alone” mantra with up to four-players online for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, or two-player local split-screen on consoles. Nintendo Wii will also support a unique co-op mode for two players. For the first time ever players will experience harrowing single-player missions together for greater camaraderie and tactical execution. The co-op campaign allows players to rank up and unlock perks in competitive multiplayer by completing challenges and earning experience points, adding continuous re-playability and team-based gameplay. Whether playing competitively or cooperatively – if players are online with Call of Duty: World at War – they will always gain experience points. Based on a player’s experience rank and rank of the player’s friends, Call of Duty: World at War will scale dynamically to provide a deeper level of challenge.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Hmm... Jun 23, 2008, 23:33 Jerykk

YOu can throw a list of games set in that time line, but if you've played all those, your just a glutton for punishment.

The problem is that you don't need to play them all. You play one, you've pretty much played them all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Hmm... Jun 23, 2008, 21:24 Tony!!!

I dont get all the whinning??? WTF? I only play quality NOT quantity? Are some you so retarded to have played that many ww2 fps's? There aren't THAT many ww2 shooters Worth playing? YOu can throw a list of games set in that time line, but if you've played all those, your just a glutton for punishment.

If this game is as good as COD4, Im buying it.

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

27. Re: Hmm... Jun 23, 2008, 20:42 MMORPGHoD

CoD3 wasn't released on the PC and that's a good thing. The reviews certainly weren't that good when compared to CoD2, for good reason from what I experienced. And I'll tell you right now there will never be another System Shock because of consolitis and the fact that games like that are remembered more fondly with time.

Didn't Gray Matter merge with Treyarch ? I'd prefer that Call Of Duty: World At War be developed by Infinity Ward, who made CoD2. Treyarch will probably botch this one.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 20:45.

26. Re: Hmm... Jun 23, 2008, 19:54 MachineMk2

I agree with the things Jerykk said, for the most part.

And, from my point of view, I've spent more hours fighting WW2, in Battlefield 1942, Forgotten Hope (awesome mod, or at least it was a couple years ago when I last played) than any other war. In fact, if you put together all of the WW2 games, and played them end-to-end, you'd probably be fighting longer than the US was in Europe (ground war that is, 44-45).

My real reason for being down on the genre (and I wasn't always) is that the sheer volume is getting ridiculous. You see, there's a finite number of games that can be produced every year, and for every WW2 game, or fantasy MMORPG, that's going to be a waste of my time, there could be another System Shock, or Beyond Good and Evil, or, dare I say it, Diablo (in terms of groundbreaking). But how the would we know? Because WW2 games are a safe bet. There's little historical controversy (remember the 'Nam games?), and pretty much everyone agrees it's a fairly black v. white affair. So, politically/publicly it's pretty safe (and boring). I think the worst that happens is the German government gets upset if there's a swastika displayed. Hey, fine. Lego got the message. And, as in IL-2, it's no biggie when your aiming for realism (everyone re-skinned the aircraft anyway).

No, it's simply that these games represent a games industry more reminiscent of Hollywood (who will green light anything with the potential of making a buck, regardless of squeezing blood from a stone; explain Rush Hour 2 and 3, or ANY Eddie Murphy movie made in the last 20 years (Shrek does not count)...or any Jimmy Fallon vehicle).

I don't suppose it's a bad thing, after all, as it's a result of success. And I don't blame consoles either. It's just that if you make a genre game, and it sells, there will be another just like it. Maybe it'll be from a different publisher, but 'nuff said.

I, myself, hated COD 3. I just wasn't a fan. It was COD 2 and lacked all of the more modern FPS tools (cover, etc.). But I was never a huge fan of the original either. It was fun, but I hated the invisible walls and the scripting (and let's not forget the AI that would, as soon as a grenade was thrown, block your nearest route of retreat). COD 4, imho, is finally when they got it right. And I think it's sort of a shame that we're getting away from that (I know, different developer).

Meh. Not interested.

I read somewhere here someone wanted a WWI shooter. Not bad. That could be interesting. Except, well, you'd die. A lot. It'd be like that original D-Day mission in COD (was it COD? Or 2?), you know, the one everyone copied. Like that but over and over again.

So, I get to preach my part. But other than that. Meh.

25. No subject Jun 23, 2008, 18:13 Rosco

I still think it would be better done if developed by Gray Matter (CoD:UO) instead of Treyarch (CoD3).  
Consoles are schwag.

24. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2008, 17:37 xXBatmanXx

Deadly Dozen was decent as well. Not the best GAME in the world, but co op made it a lot of fun. Ambusing and what not....

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

23. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2008, 17:22 JAGUART

Co-Op?

Best co-op I ever played was the first Hidden and Dangerous, where up to four ppl over a LAN could co-op the storyline , each mission carrying over to the next. It was like an interactive war movie you could play with your friends.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

22. Re: Hmm... Jun 23, 2008, 17:21 Jerykk

I'm actually more tired of the modern/future FPS themes because that's what I've played the most recently. There certainly isn't the focus on WWII themed games above all else like there was in years past.

The problem with WW2 games is that they all revolve around a very specific setting. You have the same enemies, same weapons, same locations, same vehicles, same stories, hell, even the same music. Granted, the Pacific Theater is less milked than the European Theater but most of the stuff will still be the same.

Whether the setting has been milked in the past year or five years ago is pretty irrelevant to me because it has been thoroughly milked either way.

21. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2008, 15:44 MMORPGHoD

Don't forget to put it on steam only and hire DS to develop it.

20. No subject Jun 23, 2008, 15:11 sponge

If I were rich beyond reason, I would release a cross-platform WW2 FPS, featuring auto-regenerating health, a third person camera, auto aim, and no coop, just to see how many factions here I could piss off at one time.

It would amuse me, at least.

19. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2008, 14:31 nin

Well being attacked by Japanese in Glass Armor would defiantly spice up the WW2 FPS Genre

See, this is why we need another Silent Storm game.

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2008, 14:14 Joss

Umm, Arma2's looking nice. So is Operation Flash Point 2.

Co-op galore!

17. No subject Jun 23, 2008, 13:57 xXBatmanXx

Co-op? Great. Was planning on playing anyway. I am a gamer, and I enjoy good and great games. We are all going to play it so quit yer bitching.

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Hmm... Jun 23, 2008, 13:55 MMORPGHoD

I don't care about the quality of the game. A WW2 shooter is still a WW2 shooter and the setting is what I'm tired of.

List: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_video_games

That's a nice long list, until you realize how many of those FPS titles aren't even on the PC. It's a smaller list when it comes to PC FPS titles in the last 3 years.

I avoid playing poor quality shooters and I don't own a 360/PS3/PSP/DS, so I guess my criteria isn't the same as yours. I'm actually more tired of the modern/future FPS themes because that's what I've played the most recently. There certainly isn't the focus on WWII themed games above all else like there was in years past.

15. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2008, 13:52 JayDeath

Well it's about time! For at least a decade, ppls have been screaming for a Coop FPS. Let's hope WaW delivers!

Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

14. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2008, 13:46 The Half Elf

Well being attacked by Japanese in Glass Armor would defiantly spice up the WW2 FPS Genre

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. No subject Jun 23, 2008, 13:41 Zarkov

Call of Duty: World at War will scale dynamically to provide a deeper level of challenge.

Hmmm, lets just hope that doesn't result in something like the dynamic difficulty of mobs in Oblivion, i.e. a borderline game breaking feature.

12. Re: Hmm... Jun 23, 2008, 13:40 WebDemon

Gotta agree there. WWII has been done to death.

11. Re: Hmm... Jun 23, 2008, 13:19 Jerykk

It's been almost 3 years since CoD2 was released and I don't recall seeing any decent AAA WW2 shooter titles since.

I don't care about the quality of the game. A WW2 shooter is still a WW2 shooter and the setting is what I'm tired of.

List: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_video_games

10. Re: Hmm... Jun 23, 2008, 13:09 MMORPGHoD

Co-op doesn't change the fact that this is yet another WW2 shooter.

Riiight, because we've been getting inundated by all these WW2 shooters lately. Nevermind that we have BF2/BF2142, CoD4, QW:ET, Crysis, Far Cry 2, UT3, HL2/TF2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., F.E.A.R. and other less popular FPS games out there that are not WW2 shooters. Sorry, but that complaint is no longer valid these days. Or were you joking?

It's been almost 3 years since CoD2 was released and I don't recall seeing any decent AAA WW2 shooter titles since. There have been some of the newer MOH series games, which were more disappointing than decent IMO.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 13:15.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo