Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Our ever-more-regular thunderstorms around here are having another negative effect besides freaking out Hudson the wonder dog and cancelling cook-outs: They are messing with the satellite TV signal. I've never found this to be too much of a problem in the past, but more so lately. I'm getting a bad signal from one of the satellites as well, so I'm hopeful there is something about our dish that needs fixing that will address this. I like my DirecTV service and its huge selection of HD programming, but if I can't figure out how to get more reliable service I may need to explore the alternatives.

Oh yeah, and happy 12th birthday to Quake!!!

Alternative Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Hedgehog Launch.
Jardinoo.
Link: Blind Cameras with an Infrared LED Hat.
Stories: 6-Foot Python Slithers Out of 10th-Floor Apartment Toilet in Australia. Sewer snake. Thanks brother19.
Gus the ugly dog three legs, one eye and no hair. You go Gus!
Pagans mark longest day at ancient Stonehenge. The full-sized version.
Science: Chickens 'unlock allergy secrets'.
Auction: Rare Monroe-Gable footage auctioned.
Media: World of Workcraft.
Guillermo & Edward Norton star in The Hulk.
Fugitive's Day Off.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Wow... Jun 23, 2008, 15:06 Cutter

What has spiritulaism got to do with religion. George was a spiritual dude too. And while I don't believe in Heaven, Hell and all that jive either, I believe there is something after we die. So you don't speak for him, me or anyone else. So have a nice cup of STFU, kthnks.

"He was one of a kind. He was a mutant. A real heavyweight water buffalo type...who could chew his way through a concrete wall and spit out the other side, covered with lime and chalk, and look good in doing it." - Bill Murray as Dr. Hunter S. Thompson -

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Wow... Jun 23, 2008, 09:35 nin

Wow, that was nice.

Thanks for stoppin by.

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Wow... Jun 23, 2008, 08:07 F7

"Wherever you are George, hope we can hook up and have a few beers and spliffs one of these days."

He's nowhere. He's dead in the ground; worm food. He's not living on in some utopian city on the clouds, he's not dining with Richard Pryor at a table laden with all the most decadent foods, ignorant of the health risks of such foods because in that place, health is a nonissue.

George always preached about what bullshit religion was and urged everyone to think for themselves.

If you knew anything about George, you wouldn't have said wistfully, 'Wherever you are...'.

So in the spirit of one of my heroes, FUCK YOU!
This comment was edited on Jun 23, 08:11.

11. Re: Wow... Jun 23, 2008, 07:18 nin

R.I.P. George, you will be missed.

Seconded. I got to see George live a couple of years ago in Vegas, and he was a riot (as always)...

Truly a unique individual, and a great guy.

Thank you for both the laughs and the thought provoking material, George. You were one of a kind, and it saddens me to think we lost you.

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Wow... Jun 23, 2008, 05:07 Hump

Rational thinkers are in critically short supply nowadays and one of the best just passed. As a comedian he will be definitely missed but as a social commentator he will be irreplaceable.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

9. Quake's 12th birthday Jun 23, 2008, 03:22 LittleMe

Happy bday to quake1! Every Sunday at 10pm EST we have CTF night. We had the ctf.clanhdz.com server full a few hours ago. Great games!! Quake1 is one of the best deathmatch games still. If you think the graphics aren't good, you haven't seen the updated clients like Qrack. quakeone.com/qrack

Perpetual debt is slavery.

8. Wow... Jun 23, 2008, 02:31 Cutter

George Carlin is dead. As most famous people go I could really care less, but this one hurts. I loved the man. Wherever you are George, hope we can hook up and have a few beers and spliffs one of these days.

As Chris in the Morning once said in Northern Exposure.... "Mayhem has gotten a bad rap, and chaos has taken it on the chin in these pathologically normal and rational times. Even up here in Alaska, we're turning our back on the beast. We've opted for the zoo, where the lion can't eat you, instead of the jungle, where he can. Quel domage. What a drag."

R.I.P. George, you will be missed.

"He was one of a kind. He was a mutant. A real heavyweight water buffalo type...who could chew his way through a concrete wall and spit out the other side, covered with lime and chalk, and look good in doing it." - Bill Murray as Dr. Hunter S. Thompson -

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: So... Jun 22, 2008, 20:53 deadgoon

we had b-fast at SPring

S.O.B!

6. Re: So... Jun 22, 2008, 18:22 xXBatmanXx

They'll try diveloping a bizarre chicken-man with no allergies but it will still be cock-of-the-walk?

Where is Brando when you need an explanation?

You are just all pissy because you have hayfever.

ALl bitching up in the great north.....we had b-fast at SPring.

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Arrived at NYC Jun 22, 2008, 15:43 shul

.. And it's sure great to read blues on his time-zone

as for the thunder storms - I didn't see even one in the NYC region, weird.. oh yeah, verizon inetenrt sucks bad.

4. Re: So... Jun 22, 2008, 15:20 banddirector

In all the years I've had DirecTV, I can count on one hand the times I've lost service due to thunderstorms. Like Enahs, I can't help but wonder if repositioning your dish would help. Also, if it's possible: my dish in on the second story of a split level house, underneath the eave of the roof; not so much that it's sightline is blocked, but it keeps the dish out of the weather, and therefore is dry and relatively clean.

Just throwing out some ideas, even if they're obvious ...

-----------------------------------
The HD-DVD: silver medalist the most recent format war, a contest where everybody except gold is taken out back and shot through the head.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

3. Stonehenge Jun 22, 2008, 14:54 space captain

there is a new Nat Geo doc. about discoveries in this area, its quite fascinating - they found a complex of which Stonehenge was a key feature, with connecting roads, a town and another identical monolithic circle made from wood

they even found refuse/garbage evidence for the giant orgy parties that were theorized to have occurred

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: So... Jun 22, 2008, 14:30 Enahs

Make sure the dish is not dirty. Also, there are options when positioning the dish. Everything does not come from one satellite. A proper installer (which, seriously, is very rare) will point the dish to the middle section of the various satellites you will be getting your signal(s) from. You can also bias them slightly towards the satellites that send the HD signal, so even when the weather is bad you are more likely to keep getting the HD signals and lose the SD signals.

That is, unless half your HD signals come from a satellite more to the east, and the other more to the west! Then the middle is the best you can do.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 14:32.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

1. So... Jun 22, 2008, 13:59 deadgoon

They'll try diveloping a bizarre chicken-man with no allergies but it will still be cock-of-the-walk?

Where is Brando when you need an explanation?

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo