Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. No subject Jun 22, 2008, 11:26 Umbragen

Halo and GoW may be hardcore, but they are essentially or wholely console games, and as such don't really play into the PC definition of hardcore. There are certainly hardcore console gamers that are goofy for Halo. (I suppose Gears has a following too, I've just not seen it.)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: No subject Jun 22, 2008, 08:36 Prez

I've never looked at games as 'hardcore' or not. Sure, solitaire and minesweeper are definitely 'casual' games, but 'hardcore' is a term that refers more to the gamer than a game. I know a gamer or 3 that got pretty hardcore into playing 'Puzzle Pirates', 'Bejeweled', and 'The Sims'.

A casual player might try Half-life 2 and like it, but take 4 months to finish it, like my daughter.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: No subject Jun 22, 2008, 04:13 Jerykk

What, Halo and GoW are casual games then? Like the game or not, they are firmly settled on the hardcore side of the scale.

I disagree. Halo and GoW are too easy and simplistic to qualify as hardcore. Games like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, System Shock 2, Tribes, Civilization, Total War, etc, are hardcore. They don't coddle the player at all and require serious time investments and/or skill. Conversely, games like Halo and GoW are very accessible and have a low skill cap and minimal depth. I wouldn't say they are as casual as Peggle or The Sims but they aren't hardcore either. They're best described as "less casual", I suppose.

8. Re: No subject Jun 22, 2008, 04:09 CreamyBlood

What, Halo and GoW are casual games then?

Well, they're casual from a hardcore gamers point of view, although some prefer the term 'dumbed down mediocrity' as opposed to the gentler, marketing created term 'casual'...

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 04:14.

7. Re: No subject Jun 22, 2008, 01:25 sponge

They regularly refer to Halo and Gears of War as hardcore

What, Halo and GoW are casual games then? Like the game or not, they are firmly settled on the hardcore side of the scale. Probably not as much as other games, but that's why it's a scale.

6. No subject Jun 21, 2008, 22:37 beigemore

That new Princess Diaries game has a pretty hardcore level grind.

5. Re: No subject Jun 21, 2008, 18:17 Jerykk

I can't think of any gamer I know who doesn't know what kind of videocard is in his PC, and many are not even remotely hardcore.

Keep in mind that the industry has a very loose definition of "hardcore." They regularly refer to Halo and Gears of War as hardcore so I'm guessing they consider anything more complex than Solitaire to be hardcore.

4. No subject Jun 21, 2008, 18:13 xXBatmanXx

Well, it will shake out in a couple more days when the free weekend is over.

Also, I think this is a great way to get people into the game and to play classes they normally wouldn't (Medic and Pyro being the 2 most under played). Maybe peopel will realize they like it. The medic was actually always my fav to play, get the most points, most assists, help your team directly, etc. Hookup my uber to Dagok and game over!

I also like how they are gradually introducing the achievements, keep people interested.

I jumped over to DODS, and some of the net code that was changed to add all of this achievement stuff in beta is now screwed up. Latency is really bad. HOpefully they tighten some of that up.....

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

3. Re: No subject Jun 21, 2008, 13:20 Prez

And the Pyro-maniacs article is great - it reflects exactly how I feel. I don't care if it takes me 2 months or more to get all of the achievements. I prefer to get them the normal way - by playing the game and earning them.

I hate unlockables to begin with, and this scheme does nothing but solidify that feeling.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: No subject Jun 21, 2008, 13:17 Prez

I can't think of any gamer I know who doesn't know what kind of videocard is in his PC, and many are not even remotely hardcore.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

1. No subject Jun 21, 2008, 12:33 Donkey_Punch

"even hardcore gamers don’t always know offhand which version of which graphics card is in their PC."

What nonsense. We aren't Mac user, every PC hardcore gamer knows what is in their rig.

The problem is software companies that lie about their games requirements or they try to hide the fact that their badly ported game only runs with Shader 3.0

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo