Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Team Fortress 2 Free Weekend

A new Team Fortress 2 Update is now available, and the promised free weekend for Valve's teamplay shooter is now underway. The patch addresses a handful of bugs. In other Steam news, Valve has announced a weekend sale on Call of Juarez that ends on Monday.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Call of Juarez Jun 22, 2008, 23:40 Jerykk

I was thinking of getting Beyond Good & Evil until I read the part about clunky console port controls, which I just can't stand.

I played through BG&E with mouse and keyboard without issue. If you skip out on the game, you'll be missing something special.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Call of Juarez Jun 22, 2008, 16:45 CreamyBlood

I found the Stats page! It's not under Stats though, as one might expect, it's Community->My Control Panel.

Steam Rating:
3.7 - Shooting Blanks
Playing time:
11.8 hrs past 2 weeks
1. Half-Life 2: Episode Two
10.9 hrs
2. Peggle Extreme
0.9 hrs

I was thinking of getting Beyond Good & Evil until I read the part about clunky console port controls, which I just can't stand.

So probably Call of Juarez but Bioshock for thirty bucks doesn't sound bad...

28. Re: Call of Juarez Jun 22, 2008, 11:39 Krovven

I finally finished it and I'm sure I spent over ten hours on it

Check your Steam game stats. I don't know your Steam username or I'd check myself.

Call of Juarez... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Juarez

That about covers it for CoJ. Metacritic is largely favorable reviews. Although following Ep2 with CoJ will be worlds apart in production value. I still say for $10 you can't go wrong. I was playing it last night...gonna restart on Normal. Hard mode I just die too easy.

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on Jun 22, 11:46.

27. Re: Call of Juarez Jun 22, 2008, 06:02 CreamyBlood

I finally finished it and I'm sure I spent over ten hours on it, including smoke breaks and eating and getting beer and stuff. I'm not sure how to find out what the 'absolute' game time was. The length and quality was definitely worth the money.

I know all you people played it over a half year ago, but I'm impressed. Even the ending had eye candy and a good cliffhanger.

I could mention a few nitpicking negatives about it, but why bother? As a whole it was a great experience and I really enjoyed it.

I suppose Bioshock is next, not sure about Call of Juarez after this one.

26. Re: Call of Juarez Jun 22, 2008, 05:01 Jerykk

It's been a great 'episode' so far, I've actually had a really good time.

Yeah, Episode 2 is much, much better than Episode 1. In many ways, it's better than HL2. The vehicle segments are actually somewhat entertaining in Episode 2 and don't drag out for hours.

25. Re: Call of Juarez Jun 22, 2008, 04:25 CreamyBlood

About half the game consists of Billy's levels, which revolve around stealth and platforming.

As long as I can configure my controls and it doesn't feel like a console game I suppose I can adapt. For ten bucks it can't be that bad as long as it doesn't actually annoy me.

Unless there's some other ten dollar games on Steam that are worth it.

For example, I just got the Orange Box but could have bought Episode 2 for fifteen dollars and I think that would have been worth it. I'm pretty sure it's taken me longer than six hours to get through it. I thought it I was almost done but just got a new weapon and training to kill Striders. So I think I'm getting close to the grand finale.

It's been a great 'episode' so far, I've actually had a really good time.

24. No subject Jun 21, 2008, 22:40 beigemore

They really need to release the class specific achievements in pairs so you don't get teams with 10 of one class.

23. Re: Call of Juarez Jun 21, 2008, 20:17 Jerykk

There are only a few stealth areas, while not perfect they aren't horrible by any stretch and its a tiny part of the game.

Tiny part of the game? Not exactly. About half the game consists of Billy's levels, which revolve around stealth and platforming. The design in these levels is really quite terrible. If they had just stuck to the Preacher, the game would have been a lot better.

22. Re: ... Jun 21, 2008, 17:25 CreamyBlood

I'm going to take peoples advice and hold off on installing TF2 this weekend. I think I'll finish Episode 2 (which is turning out to be quite fun) and get Call of Juarez for tomorrow or later tonight, depending on how soon I complete EP2.

I've read the reviews at Actiontrip and Eurogamer and both are mostly positive as well as the comments here (which is unusual). I sounds like it has some good dialogue and story which is becoming more and more important to me over the years as well as some good action and some somewhat broken stealth. For ten bucks I figure I can't lose.

21. Re: ... Jun 21, 2008, 15:14 Krovven

I really don't understand why Valve releases achievement updates and then opens up the game to new users - they're getting a completely inaccurate impression of the game and it's actually a NEGATIVE one.

I agree completely. My guess though is that the immediate sales increase that seems to come every time they do a free weekend, is worth it regardless of the negative reaction some other fence sitters may have.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

20. Re: ... Jun 21, 2008, 13:26 Prez

TF2 is hilarious at the moment, though not at all balanced. I've been playing as sniper and they're incredibly effective against pyros. I've finally started seeing spies return to servers as well. There are also plenty of servers out there that put limits on classes and there it plays like a regular game. I really don't understand why Valve releases achievement updates and then opens up the game to new users - they're getting a completely inaccurate impression of the game and it's actually a NEGATIVE one.

Had the same exact thought myself...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

19. Re: Screw that Jun 21, 2008, 13:24 Krovven

Guaranteed that you won't be missed.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

18. Screw that Jun 21, 2008, 12:56 mOOzilla

I'm loading up BF2 for a while until the pyromania settles down. In BF2 I shall run over friendly mines on FF OFF servers and then jump out of my vehicle so I can PUNISH PUNISH PUNISH  
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

17. Re: Call of Juarez Jun 21, 2008, 12:03 Krovven

Seriously? That's just bizarre. You mean if I shoot some guy's horse rather than the guy himself, the game is over?

Seeing as I don't even remember that, I doubt its much of a problem unless you must set out to kill horses. Easily avoidable. There are only a few stealth areas, while not perfect they aren't horrible by any stretch and its a tiny part of the game.

Story was decent that I recall, the Preacher character is great, having him read off scripture while you blow people away is rather amusing, combat is fun, graphics are good and still hold up.

For $10 I definitely recommend it.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

16. Re: Call of Juarez Jun 21, 2008, 11:48 Krovven

Really good game, definitely worth the $10. I've already completed the game but I'm about to go buy it on Steam right now. It isn't OUtlaws 2, but its the best Western shooter since Outlaws IMO.

Odd thing is that its not being promoted as a new game on Steam. Unless I'm mistaken Call of Juarez was only available to Europe on Steam until yesterday. So for this "spotlight" for only $9.99 came as a surprise as I hadn't even seen it on Steam for North America before.

PSN ID= Puscifer73

15. No subject Jun 21, 2008, 11:41 Ice Nine

The Meet The... series of videos and this free weekend opportunity have put me in the mood to give TF2 a fair shot, but so far it's very ho-hum to me. Any given team is composed of at least 50% pyros right now, and they get boring to pick off. I was pleased to see more teamwork in the pubs than in other games like Quake Wars, but I'm still not sure if this game is worth a purchase. So far, it seems to me like they should have just called it Team Fortress Again rather than Team Fortress 2.

14. ... Jun 21, 2008, 10:47 theyarecomingforyou

TF2 is hilarious at the moment, though not at all balanced. I've been playing as sniper and they're incredibly effective against pyros. I've finally started seeing spies return to servers as well. There are also plenty of servers out there that put limits on classes and there it plays like a regular game. I really don't understand why Valve releases achievement updates and then opens up the game to new users - they're getting a completely inaccurate impression of the game and it's actually a NEGATIVE one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

13. Re: Call of Juarez Jun 21, 2008, 03:40 Jerykk

Seriously? That's just bizarre. You mean if I shoot some guy's horse rather than the guy himself, the game is over?

I don't remember if it's game over if you shoot the horse or if you kill it. I think it's if you just shoot the horse.

12. Oh god Jun 21, 2008, 02:40 mOOzilla

Now a flood of pyros. I am avoiding this game until it settles down because the achievements are for burning OTHER CLASSES which since everybody is a pyro, you cannot get them.

Not to mention its boring.

Anybody know how I can hack out the chat window? The term "noob" is being burnt into my screen at that area.

I would like a server feature that auto changes team of anybody who types "noob".

Just camp as Demoman and sticky bomb all the pyros, easy money

I usually end up with a crappy team with everybody as pyro and we STILL get raped by SPIES.

They should do smaller weekly updates to achievements for all classes and NOT just dump one class with a billion achievements in one update. That is just stupidity and why the game turns to shite.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 02:45.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

11. Re: Call of Juarez Jun 21, 2008, 02:04 Aero

...if you kill any horses, it's game over. I understand they wanted to balance horseback combat but that's not exactly a good solution.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo