Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

TF2 Pyro Achievements and Unlockables Detailed

A Team Fortress 2 Pyro Update has the list of Pyro achievements and unlockables for tomorrow's Team Fortress 2 update. The update will also include a pair of community created maps, and these are detailed as well. Here's a bit:

In addition to the three unlockable Pyro weapons, we've made a significant addition to the base Pyro flamethrower. By hitting the alt-fire key, the Pyro is able to produce a blast of compressed air that knocks enemies away, and redirects enemy projectiles. It’s a highly versatile tool, allowing Pyros to get away from nearby enemies after igniting them, to kill enemy soldiers with their own rockets, or to separate enemy Medics from their healing targets. In particular, it allows a skilled Pyro to contain an enemy invulnerability push, and even to separate the Medic completely if the surrounding terrain supports it.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: ... Jun 19, 2008, 09:40 Overon

Achievements are worthless anyway. You should be playing the game for its gameplay, not to win some little icon in your profile.
They are not worthless since obtaining them allows you to get weapons that change the gameplay options of a given class. You need to obtain the achievements in order to access some of the new content.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 09:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. No subject Jun 19, 2008, 08:52 texasthunder

My eyes must need adjusting but isn't Spontaneous Combustion and I Fry the same?

Never mind, forgot cloaked and disguised.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 08:53.

35. Re: thats better! Jun 19, 2008, 05:39 Armengar

did you even bother to read the text just above this? it clearly states that with the flamethrower's alt-fire you can redirect enemy projectiles.

did you even bother reading my retraction 2 posts above my original? (I find it rude to edit my original posts after people have replied you see)

I dont know, you aska question and the hormones start flaming. This used to be a civilised board :/

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 05:40.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

34. Re: ... Jun 19, 2008, 05:28 Number{9}

It's really just an advanced form of the high-score screen on many video games. In theory it's an indicator of skill in a game or if that isn't a huge factor just the sheer amount of time played.

I like achievements because they give me secondary reasons to spend more time playing and exploring games. Provided the game is worth playing in the first place achievements keep me playing longer and increase the value of the game.

Most single player games have a definitely end-point to them. Players are working towards the end-point as a goal. Why not a few road-stops along the way?

Multi-player achievements are just more troublesome because of the unpredictability and difficulty of real people, making them potentially a lot more frustrating to achieve.

> Achievements are worthless anyway. You should be playing the game for its gameplay, not to win some little icon in your profile.

-------------------
Ignore me!!!

33. Re: ... Jun 19, 2008, 02:03 Jerykk

I've never bothered with taunts and I'm sure most other people don't either, which makes achievements that involve them very hard to achieve / tedious.

Achievements are worthless anyway. You should be playing the game for its gameplay, not to win some little icon in your profile.

32. ... Jun 18, 2008, 23:21 theyarecomingforyou

I've never bothered with taunts and I'm sure most other people don't either, which makes achievements that involve them very hard to achieve / tedious. I have no problem with quirky ones like torching a rocket jumping soldier but the taunt ones take it too far and are just going to annoy, rather than reward, the people that want to complete them all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

31. Re: ... Jun 18, 2008, 23:05 Kosumo

Both the Medic and the Pyro now have achivements that are 'use taunt after killing someone' and I'd say all classes will which should mean that the more out of here achivements may be more common as the games adgeist to the changing rules.

30. Re: ... Jun 18, 2008, 20:58 Prez

The alt-fire mode sounds awesome! Can't wait to try it... about 2 weeks after everyone has gotten tired of being a pyro and gone back to being snipers.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: ... Jun 18, 2008, 20:41 Fuzzmatang

No the emote taunts aren't automatic. Your character might automatically say a comment after a kill (My fav: "I broke your stupid crap, moron!"), but that's it.

28. Re: ... Jun 18, 2008, 20:38 ColoradoHoudini

Oh, and an uber'ed Pyro in a tight spot where there is lots of defense is a must.

27. ... Jun 18, 2008, 19:03 theyarecomingforyou

Aren't taunts automatically done when you kill another player? If not then I agree that they are ridiculous. However, most people will simply play normally and be happy when they randomly complete an achievement. I'm not sure I've even got a single medic unlock... I never got what the fuss was about, though servers being filled with medics was lame.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

26. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2008, 18:55 Pigeon

Now I look upon the pyro achievements (my favorite class) like:
1) Pilot Light: Ignite a rocket-jumping Soldier while he's in midair.
2) OMGWTFBBQ: Kill an enemy with a taunt
3) Got A Light?: Ignite an enemy Spy while he's flicking a cigarette.
4) Dance Dance Immolation: Kill 3 enemies while they're taunting.

#1 is fairly easily done when they're coming in for the landing. And soldiers do rocket jump with enough frequency you could pull this off.

For the rest... well I gotta agree, first off, nobody taunts during game, at least not when there's a remote chance enemies are around. As for OMGWTFBBQ, do they test these out with players who just stand still or something?

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 18:56.

25. Re: ... Jun 18, 2008, 17:49 Kosumo

I wounder if you can do compressed air jumps?

24. Re: ... Jun 18, 2008, 17:47 ColoradoHoudini

" So the Pyro has Force Push now? Awesome."

No.. he has the airhammer/first from Quake 1 Thunderwalker CTF !!!
Not sure which other mods had that weapon too.. but it made running with the flag a god damn art form.

23. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2008, 17:40 Overon

I think valve should have learned from the medic achievements problems. There were a few achievements that were quite hard to get during regular play. Many people resorted to "achievement" servers which played specially designed maps and setup the scenarios needed for the achievements.

Now I look upon the pyro achievements (my favorite class) like:
1) Pilot Light: Ignite a rocket-jumping Soldier while he's in midair.
2) OMGWTFBBQ: Kill an enemy with a taunt
3) Got A Light?: Ignite an enemy Spy while he's flicking a cigarette.
4) Dance Dance Immolation: Kill 3 enemies while they're taunting.

And I ask myself wtf, why hasn't valve learned from the medic achievements? The above achievements rely too heavily on the enemy to do some less than likely things before the pyro can earn the achievement (#1, 3, and 4). So I see once again people making use of the "achievement" servers. And #2 is going to be really hard to do in the course of gameplay. (Who knew that you could kill with the fireball taunt?)

22. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2008, 16:37 mOOzilla

Yes, find hello kitty servers. Problem solved.  
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

21. No subject Jun 18, 2008, 15:29 xXBatmanXx

Just find servers that only allow X of each class as a % of total players. Problem solved.

You got a great body, but your record collection sucks....
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: ... Jun 18, 2008, 15:02 human

"Shittiest class"? JayDeath obviously doesn't know how to play pyro. Don't blame the class, Jay. Blame your total and utter fail.

19. ... Jun 18, 2008, 14:53 theyarecomingforyou

So the pyro goes from shittiest class to the most uber? That's just dumb.
I regularly top servers as pyro - they are devastating when used properly. I certainly don't look forward to half the servers being fill with pyros but it should be fine when it all settles down. I really hope Valve just roll out all the other updates together, otherwise we can look forward to this situation for the other seven classes and I'm not looking forward to the spy release.

18. Cue stat padding in ... Jun 18, 2008, 14:44 mOOzilla

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo