Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spore Creature Creator Released

As announced here, the promised PC and Mac editions of the Spore creature creator are now available as both retail releases and free trial versions to pave the way for the release of EA Maxis' evolution game in September. The full versions and free trials can be found on the Get Spore Website, and there's a FAQ with details on the release. Downloads of the PC trial version are mirrored on ActionTrip, AusGamers, ComputerGames.ro, FanGaming, FileFront, FileShack, Gamer's Hell, and Strategy Informer. Here's the announcement:

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Prepare to test the limits of your imagination! Maxis, an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS - News) studio, today released the Spore™ Creature Creator, an introduction to the highly-anticipated and groundbreaking video game, Spore™ which will ship worldwide this September.

Available today for both PC and Mac, the Spore Creature Creator is a stand-alone product and creativity toy box where players create their own unique creatures, bring them to life with entertaining animations, and share them online with friends around the world. The full version of the Spore Creature Creator will be available for $9.99 at retail stores or by visiting www.spore.com. A free trial version of the Spore Creature Creator is also available today at www.spore.com. The trial version features 25% of the creature-making parts from Spore and lets players shape, paint and play with their custom-created creatures. Creatures made in the Spore Creature Creator can also be imported into the full Spore game, allowing players to populate their own galaxies when the game ships worldwide later this year.

The Spore Creature Creator lets players create their own creatures, take them on a test drive, snap pictures, and make movies of them. Sharing pictures or videos with friends is as easy as the click of a button. Players can also share their creations with others by uploading to the Sporepedia™ at www.Spore.com. The Sporepedia is an extraordinarily vast online destination where people worldwide can search for and share Spore creations, comment on other player’s designs, check out celebrity creature creations and much more.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. Re: No subject Jun 23, 2008, 16:55 wallace321

For those wondering, the full version of spore MUST come with a creature creator as the $10 one must be uninstalled before you can install spore, so says the manual for CC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. ... Jun 20, 2008, 10:47 theyarecomingforyou

When I installed the trial I selected no to the Download Manager and it didn't install, so it isn't forced upon people.

NEway, I had such a blast with the trial that I bought it and several other people I know did the same thing. It really is a lot of fun and once I discovered you could use the mouse wheel to change the scale of parts / vertebrae the creations became even more entertaining. Obviously other people are having fun too because over 50,000 creatures were uploaded while I was asleep last night.

Releasing the creature creator separately at a low price was a very clever tactic, especially combined with the online upload functionality. They get to recover a lot of the game development costs and people get their hands on an important part of the game much earlier than they otherwise would have - the trial includes enough parts for those that would rather not pay and buy the full game when it comes out. I see little to moan about. Those that want it early or aren't interested in the full game get what they want and at a very cheap price, while those that are going to buy the full game anyway can do so and skip this. There is no exploitation. Are people actually against companies making money?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

65. Spore Jun 19, 2008, 15:42 Tumbler

I don't get what people see in this game. But judging by what EA's most popular games have been doing lately, BF BC charging for unlocks, Hellgate London charging for additional content, etc, and now spore trying to charge for the "full version" of a demo?

EA is their own worst enemy here. Luckily the issues with BF BC were resolved and they backed down but I think Hellgate london bombed mainly because of the monthly fee they wanted, and BF BC has dodged a bullet for now by giving all those weapons to players...It's possible by the time spore hits store shelves the additional charges business model EA is trying to lay on top of everything will cripple this game as well.

I downloaded the trial but after reading peoples comments I think I'm going to delete it and move on. EA needs to change it's business practices, but looking at their stock, ERTS, it doesn't seem like they are getting the message. They are down considerably but no much more than the market in general.

I hope renting BF BC is less beneficial to them than buying...that is the only game I see myself looking forward to from ea.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

64. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2008, 11:06 Nefilim

"My gut feeling is that Spore has flop written all over it."

Oh no! DSmart thinks the game is going to flop.

I think the Creature Creator alone will probably make more money than all of your ass-tastic games combined.

63. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2008, 03:26 Kxmode

I'd like to play the game because I don't know how long I can play with the creature creator. The fun only extends so far. I also can't really go wild and crazy like I thought I would. There's an appendage limit. I also cannot make my creature insanely tall. there's some sort of ceiling preventing that. I had a WHOLE bunch of cool ideas that are being shot down. Besides that I think it's awesome and cant wait for the entire game. In the meantime I'm going to passing on the full Creature Creator and wait until September.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

62. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2008, 01:41 DrEvil

The download shit didn't install for me when I told it not to, but you go ahead and cry forced install.

61. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 22:10 Creston

I chose "No" when it asked me to install the DL manager, then the application said "fuck you, we're installing it anyway"

You have to remember that this is the NEW EA, you know, the EA that that clown from Bioware has been breaking his back trying to pimp as a "gamer friendly" publisher.

I like the forced installation of worthless EA software. Good times!

Creston

60. Re: Now I get it. Jun 17, 2008, 22:05 Creston

"Now that I have made a few creatures, I'm frustrated that I can't turn them loose in the world."

Yeah, I don't really understand the point of this creature creator. Hey I made a creature! Awesome. Now what can I do with it? Oh, I can "share it with the Internet."

Anything else? No? Oh.

This seems just as useful as just doodling shit in Paint.

Creston

59. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 20:37 Cabezone

The full version isn't out till tommarrow.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

58. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 19:07 Kxmode

You can buy it from D2D, it's on the front page.

Thanks Cabe. To clarify I was referring to this information on the product page.

This product will be available for download and play on June 18, 2008 at 10:00AM PST.

http://www.direct2drive.com/4/6180/product/Buy-SPORE-Creature-Creator-(Pre-Order)-Download

Has anyone bought the Creature Creator from D2D? Can you confirm that you were able to download it?

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

57. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 18:17 Cabezone

Most people don't even have cards capable of doing hardware acceleration, or are so poor at it it's not much more than a 1-2% improvement.

Please explain to me what lowering the hardware acceleration slider will do to their performance?

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 18:21.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

56. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 18:16 Jerykk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-fhyzSd2U

Bah, my creature is a perfectly-designed killing machine. You're lucky he can't invade your planets until Spore comes out.

55. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:59  dsmart 

@ Cablezone

That's a load of horseshit.

yeah, to someone - like you - who doesn't have a fucking clue what they're talking about but just think they do.

If you actually knew exactly what reducing the audio acceleration does you wouldn't be quick to post up your usual brand of crap.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 17:59.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

54. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:56 Prez

Umm - that thing's head is on backwards!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

53. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:53 Elf Shot The Food

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-fhyzSd2U

52. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:52 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

Very nice creature. I also watched some of your Blade of Darkness videos. What a great game. You make me want to reinstall it.

51. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:34 Prez

Jeez - where is the damn game already?!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

50. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:26 nin

Those look awesome ESTF!

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

49. Re: No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:20 Elf Shot The Food

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K8ULlQlTLU

48. No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:03 Cabezone

You can buy it from D2D, it's on the front page.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo