Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

In-Game Ad Survey

IGA Worldwide announces the results of a survey conducted by Nielson that they claim indicates consumers like in-game advertising, a surprising conclusion that's the latest example of why folks distrust statistics:

One of the most important factors confirmed by the Study is that most consumers reacted positively to in-game ads: 82 percent felt games were just as enjoyable with ads as without. In addition, there was an average 61 percent increase in consumers’ favorable opinions of products advertised in-game post-play.

“The growth of in-game advertising, both current and projected, makes it an attractive medium for brands looking to reach hard-to-reach consumers,” said Elizabeth Harz, EA’s Senior Vice President of Global Media Sales. “This study solidifies what many in the industry have known for a long time: in-game ads are effective and well-received by the gaming community.”

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2008, 22:20 Kxmode

82% off the illiterate public

QFT

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2008, 04:49 sponge

With Swat 4 the game used "Massive" before Micro$oft bought them out. Luckily you could block them if you put the server names in your Hosts file. I am sure that is no longer possible with newer games.

This is still possible with Massive-based games. ET:QW uses Massive, with no ports on the Linux version since Massive is a Windows-only library.

40. No subject Jun 18, 2008, 04:18 Donkey_Punch

With Swat 4 the game used "Massive" before Micro$oft bought them out. Luckily you could block them if you put the server names in your Hosts file. I am sure that is no longer possible with newer games.

Vivendi was slimy about how they went about it too. The retail version of the game didn't have adverts but if you wanted to use the patch (and you really needed to) then the patch turned on the advertising. Game reviewers of course never mentioned the adverts because game reviews almost always look at the unpatched version.

With UBI's terrible game called Lockdown the advertisements were absolutely ridiculous. You found splattered on the wall advertisements every few feet and they were on walls that obviously never would have aderts on them. It was one of the worst cases of in-game advertising gone wrong.

39. Re: ENOUGH of this bullshit Jun 18, 2008, 01:43 Creston

I'd rather see real ads there than some made up crap that's just trying to be clever, it adds to the game.

GTA IV's ads are ALL made up, and they're 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times funnier than anything some fucking marketing major came up with.

Oh well, they start putting ads in all games, someone will invent something to skip/remove them.

Creston

38. It wouldn't be FUCKING EA Jun 18, 2008, 01:32 Creston

that comes up with this bullshit. Yes Elizabeth Harz, you worthless fucking cunt, everyone that plays games just LOVES looking at your fucking tampon ads.

82% of respondents probably said "Eh, I haven't noticed any in the games I've played" (probably because the games they play don't have them in them), and this gets tallied as "they said games were just as enjoyable!"

Damn, I really can't think of much I hate more than EA.

Creston

37. Re: ENOUGH of this bullshit Jun 17, 2008, 19:52 DukeFNukem

Very nice play on words. The survey company should hire you for their future surveys. LOL.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...

36. No subject Jun 17, 2008, 19:43 dryden555

that "survey" was was such utter BS, it was fun to read

35. Re: NP Jun 17, 2008, 17:38 Prez

Numbers can be made to dance a jig. I have absolutely no doubt that this poll is utter BS.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

34. Re: NP Jun 17, 2008, 17:36 sponge

You mean by the port hack? There is only one game to my knowledge that lets you disable them (CoH/CoV). I'm sure Massive (aka Microsoft) will find away around the port hack and disabling will be difficult.

The very few games I have that have in-game ads can be defeated through the hosts file.

33. No subject Jun 17, 2008, 17:08 Khanzza

82% off the illiterate public think ingame ads are ok. I like marketing people impaled alive with their eyes gouged out..
But hey! I'm just a fun loving guy =O)

32. Re: NP Jun 17, 2008, 16:57 Undocumented Alien

If they bother me, I disable them. Nice and simple.

You mean by the port hack? There is only one game to my knowledge that lets you disable them (CoH/CoV). I'm sure Massive (aka Microsoft) will find away around the port hack and disabling will be difficult.

31. Re: NP Jun 17, 2008, 16:53 Kxmode

YUO ARE THE CANCER KILLING PC GAMING!!!!1111

lol

-----

30. Re: NP Jun 17, 2008, 16:33 sponge

I have no problems with in-game ads as long as they are PART of the game and not a distraction. For example, I recently tried the Grid demo. It was chock-full of billboards from many companies (the one I remember most was the Geico gecko ad). I didn't mind the ads because they added realism to the race course.

YUO ARE THE CANCER KILLING PC GAMING!!!!1111

Yea, I don't mind them much either. If they bother me, I disable them. Nice and simple.

29. NP Jun 17, 2008, 15:59 Kxmode

I have no problems with in-game ads as long as they are PART of the game and not a distraction. For example, I recently tried the Grid demo. It was chock-full of billboards from many companies (the one I remember most was the Geico gecko ad). I didn't mind the ads because they added realism to the race course.

-----

28. Re: ENOUGH of this bullshit Jun 17, 2008, 15:42 MMORPGHoD

Good idea. When they make MGS5 they can add commercials to the cutscenes.

27. Re: ENOUGH of this bullshit Jun 17, 2008, 15:25 Yosemite Sam

Heh just wait, one day they will put full fledged TV commercials in game, imagine that playing along and the games gets paused for a commercial break.  

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

26. 18% Jun 17, 2008, 15:21 bigspender

guess im in teh 18% of people that think in game ads are fucked up. and will never ever buy a game with in game ads and serious product placement.

also a study i did indicates that 82% of people are fuckwits that would know anything about anything. so chances are they just did the survey to get a free ipod and ticked the yes box.

CRITICAL PATCH released within 2 weeks = RETURN TO STORE
IN GAME ADVERTISING = GO ***** YOURSELVES

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

25. einstein said... Jun 17, 2008, 15:14 zirik

there are lies, more lies and then statistics.

24. No subject Jun 17, 2008, 15:07 >U

We already have advertising everywhere in our lives and there's money to be made - there's no point trying to act like gaming should be some special exception...There's no way to keep advertising out of computer games - it's a futile fight
As usual you are a sycophantic idiot. Video games are primarily a form escapism into a virtual or fantasy world. There's no reason why that world can't remain unspoiled by the intrustion of advertising and tracking. In-game advertising and tracking is simply an unnecessary money grab. If consumers push back and don't accept it, then it WILL disappear as a viable advertising medium. Universal in-game advertising and tracking is NOT inevitable. Already several game publishers like Activision have started to reduce their efforts in such advertising because it has not panned out. That is why we are seeing so many of these studies supposedly reaffirming the viability of in-game advertising. The companies like Massive, IGA, and Double Fusion are having problems selling adspace in games because so-far the return on investment hasn't been there for advertisers. There wouldn't need to be such studies if there weren't a problem. Game consumers simply need to keep up their objections to such advertising.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 15:45.

23. Re: ENOUGH of this bullshit Jun 17, 2008, 14:56 >U

I'd rather see real ads there than some made up crap that's just trying to be clever, it adds to the game.
It detracts from the game as art and a creative experience. I'd rather see some creativity like the humorous ads in Futurama and in other media. It's even better when the "fake" ads are related to the core game content. For example the default GDF recruitment ads in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars are much better than the bullshit ads IGA serves up over them if you don't block the ads.

Of course this whole in-game advertising debate always overlooks the fact that unlike ads in other media like television, radio, and magazines, the in-game ads are a two-way street. Players watch the ads, and the ads watch and track them. Most survey respondents are totally oblivious to that fact, and I am sure the survey results would drastically change if the questions pointed out that the ads spy on the player. Consumers don't have to be a fucking Nielson family to watch television so why the hell are they expected to be one when they play video games?

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 20:29.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo