Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Age of Conan Plans

Funcom announces a large number of major changes currently in production for Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, their recently launched MMORPG. The plan includes new areas and dungeons, social updates, additional adventures, and more. Here how the announcement kicks off, highlighting some of the major changes:

Durham, USA – June 13, 2008 – After the incredible initial success for Age of Conan, a whole world of MMO players are eagerly anticipating the future plans for one of the most popular online games ever released. While Age of Conan has already evolved massively since launch, numerous expansive additions are yet to come. Funcom and Eidos are therefore proud to lift the veil on Age of Conan’s promising future, and today the two companies reveal selected features which are now in production.

“While we have enjoyed the initial success for Age of Conan, we know that a solid launch is but the start when it comes to the MMO genre,” said Gaute Godager, Game Director on Age of Conan. ”As we look ahead we are preparing a huge amount of new content, and what we are presenting today will evolve Age of Conan even further. It’s naturally an incredibly ambitious update plan for a live MMO game, but we are certain our players would want nothing less.”

Without further ado, here are some of the cool things to expect in the months to come:

PvP evolved – To the Death
The great combat system in Age of Conan has taken MMO fighting to a new level of fun, and Player versus Player combat plays a major part in this. As a result, a massive new PvP update is planned for late June. Aptly called To the death, this update brings more consequence and rewards to PvP, and an important part of it is the Fugitive system. The more lower level players you kill, the easier it is for others to hunt you down. In addition, ten PvP levels with additional ranks will be introduced, as well as specific gear and weapons for PvP.

Guild Alliance Warfare
Preproduction has started on a MASSIVE free update which will come later this year. Currently titled “Kingship!”, large clusters of guilds will be able to form alliances, and rule and conquer on a massive scale. Everyone in a guild alliance will play a part in this system, and together they can even erect unique looking alliance Battlekeeps. The alliances can also fight over, and build, culture-specific “wonders of the world”, with a direct link to higher powers! As part of the system Funcom will also facilitate larger amounts of players in massive battles.

Powerpoints
This fall, a unique reward and character evolution system called Powerpoints will be introduced. This rewards active in-game behavior, and allows for gathering points through numerous methods, including owning a Battlekeep, playing the end-game at level 80, winning PvP matches, or simply being an active guild member or subscribing to the game. There will be many ways to obtain Powerpoints, and numerous rewards, ranging from exclusive Powerfeats to weapons, armor and potions. Powerpoints may even allow you to level faster!

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: No subject Jun 14, 2008, 18:19 Fingers M

I feel 100% exactly as Tumbler does but my Barb is 38. I think Im just burnt out on the genre.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: No subject Jun 14, 2008, 17:42 AcidDrone

I don't think conan takes as much time and effort as other mmos, there is virtually no down time and you can level fairly fast all the way to 80.

Granted until they add a bit more content unless you do group quests you do have to grind abit in some areas.

52. Re: No subject Jun 14, 2008, 12:39 sir

this line says it all about how boring this game is: a unique reward and character evolution system called Powerpoints

Unlike a previous poster, I only managed to get to 27 on my demo before succumbing to complete indifference.

51. Re: No subject Jun 14, 2008, 02:52 Kxmode

The last time I logged in was before massive patch thursday, and there was still the memory leak, random disconnects, zone-transfer lag spikes, random lag spikes+dc, and so forth. Maybe in a few months I'll come back but I doubt it.

This describes, almost verbatim, Funcom's other launch title... Anarchy Online.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

50. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2008, 23:42 Mashiki Amiketo

I managed to get to 36 on my demo, and I wasn't very happy by the time I got there. I found the entire thing dull and boring, sadly I saw potential and in the end it came to nothing.

The last time I logged in was before massive patch thursday, and there was still the memory leak, random disconnects, zone-transfer lag spikes, random lag spikes+dc, and so forth. Maybe in a few months I'll come back but I doubt it.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

49. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2008, 20:21 Kxmode

Also not to forget the random disconnects

this still happens

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

48. Re: Sooo.....? Jun 13, 2008, 20:02 Teddy

This is when I leveled the fastest and had the most quests.
Hmm, obviously fastest leveling was the first 10 but, relatively 30-40 was a breeze
Are you sure you have any idea what you're talking about?

Khopshef Province has tons of 30-40 quests.
Wild Lands of Zelata has 30-40 quests.
You can join a Sanctum group and get over two lvls from those quests at 35.
Tons of other stuff but I have trouble recalling zone names.

I didn't even touch Sanctum yet and I went from 30-40 without much of an issue. Only ran Khopshef and Wild Lands and the quests in there were enough to get me from 20-40. That still leaves ALL of the Cimmeria quests (whatever that village is called) and the Sanctum quests. Didn't touch my gathering quests until 40 either.

47. Re: Sooo.....? Jun 13, 2008, 19:53 Teddy

and items arent broken. they just dont have the value that wow puts on them. a blue lvl 50 item isnt all that much better than a green one. i, for one, am happy to see a game that doesnt have gear that improves you by multiples. i like the idea that stats are capped. i like the idea that i dont "have" to have the most uber gear to compete or do content.

Actually, in a sticky interview on the forums, one of the funcom guys stated that stats are not currently working as they're supposed to, so until they're fixed, we won't know if there's a significant difference between levels of gear.

46. No subject Jun 13, 2008, 19:25 peteham

Also, not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but WOW didn't have PvP at all at launch (aside from being able to kill people for nothing just like in AoC now). It took a small eternity for the first honor-system to see the light of day, and another small eternity before battlegrounds were eventually introduced.

WOW also had its share of issues in spite of being fairly polished. There were horrible queues to log on. Also not to forget the random disconnects and the way things used to be you couldn't log back on until you'd officially timed out. Does anyone still remember the loot-lag? The joy of "sliding" around in crouched position unable to interact with anything, nor cast spells? Never dropping out of combat to regenerate? Took friggin' aeons before they fixed those, and it was particularly bad on some servers, making some zones nearly unplayable.

Of course, I'm still not going to pick it up. I got bored pretty fast with WOW and it simply takes too much time, effort and commitment to be able to have any fun. From what I've heard of Conan and any other mmo I haven't bothered playing, that's pretty much a common denominator for the whole genre.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 19:26.

45. No subject Jun 13, 2008, 19:07 Midnight

For those complaining about a lack of content, keep in mind that Funcom have previously announced that there will be new quests as well as improved dungeons for the late 30s and late 50s - hopefully within a month.

I'm really enjoying AoC - I've played dozens of MMOs and none have been quite this much fun.

http://www.crimsondark.com

44. Re: Sooo.....? Jun 13, 2008, 18:45 timesten

That's your defense? It doesn't matter that crafting is completely broken because items are also broken?

I've enjoyed the game. It's quite fun. But there are some very serious issues with it. At this point, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who power-games (that is, someone who plays for lots of hours every day). For more casual players, it's fine, you'll spend a lot of time in the lower levels, and those are nicely fleshed out. By the time you hit the higher levels, hopefully Funcom will have improved them.

im not using it as an excuse. im saying that there is currently not much incintive to craft anything but buildings. so why worry about crafting at all. i just play as if it doesnt exist and i save all the mats i can for a future time when it is worth something.

and items arent broken. they just dont have the value that wow puts on them. a blue lvl 50 item isnt all that much better than a green one. i, for one, am happy to see a game that doesnt have gear that improves you by multiples. i like the idea that stats are capped. i like the idea that i dont "have" to have the most uber gear to compete or do content.

i play multiple hours a day and could fit your profile of a hardcore gamer. i wont go back to wow, i may get the new expansion and play thru it, but i wont subscribe for multiple months because its format is tedious to me. im glad gear basicly makes no diference in aoc, cause grinding for gear, or anything sucks. i havent "had" to gind at all in aoc. i have done so to get those last few bubbles of a lvl, but i still have plenty of dungeon quests to do, and im in the "dreaded upper 50s".

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 18:46.

43. No subject Jun 13, 2008, 18:24 beigemore

I had no issues at all going through the 30's.

42. Re: Sooo.....? Jun 13, 2008, 18:01 Bhruic

There is no zone for players 30-40

As others have said, all 3 starting areas are 20-40, and have plenty of quests for 30+.

past that only one zone for every 10 levels.

For 40-50, there's Noble District and Fields of the Dead. You're right about 50-60, although at that point you can do group quests in Main/Cistern, Catacombs, Tombs. 60-70, there's both Thunder River and Aztel's. So in general, you're wrong.

Actual PvErs have left due to lack of content.

There are plenty of PvE people playing. There's also plenty of content for leveling. The main area of concern is what to do when you hit 80.

41. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2008, 17:58 Sepharo

You do know that you don't have to remain in Cimmeria right?

I quest in all 3 homelands and maybe that's why I never feel like there isn't enough content.

40. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2008, 17:47 Slink

Yes, the game has bugs and yes, some of the features aren't implemented, but the game is a blast and especially lower levels are quite fun. It can only get better with time.

My experiences thus far (so I don't know anything about 40+)...

What I like about the game:
- I like the combo system. It really adds a tad bit of skill to the game, and I love watching WoW (Whiners of Warcraft) cry about it and say it sucks.
- I love how it's not gear based. Yes the gear could play a LITTLE bit more role into the grand scheme of things, but I love gear doesn't automatically determine a winner of a fight before the battle actually begins.
- I love the atmosphere of the game. The graphics are beautiful and the day/night cycle is great, and around dusk and dawn your jaw will drop at how "real" it feels.
- I like the semi-realistic approach. I was getting tired of WoW's overdone armor and weapons, so it's nice to see armor, weapons, and characters toned down a bit.

What I think could be improved:
- There needs to be a few more zones. I love Conall's Valley and the Wild Lands, but I feel like there needs to be one more zone for 30-40 or above. This is NOT because I can't find quests - I can find plenty of them with no problem - but I just get tired of looking at the same stuff all the time. New zones would vary things up a bit.
- Needs to be MUCH MUCH MUCH more variation in weapon and armor models. There seems to be very few models that will drop, especially armor. I wish I could find the armor that was in the Gamespot PvP weekend, but I have yet to see that or anything that closely resembles it.
- I wish more quests had voice acting.
- A rather big amount of random bugs and annoyances need to be squashed and fixed.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a new MMO that shows promise, especially for people that are looking to get away from WoW. Bear in mind that it is NOT finished and later levels apparently can use some work, but it is the best alternative right now and I can only see good things for it down the road.

- - - - - -
AoC: Darsius (Cimmeria) -- WoW: Darsius (Earthen Ring) -- CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) -- TF2 and CoD4: Slink(FSU)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

39. Re: No subject Jun 13, 2008, 17:22 Aganazer

I think most of the people complaining about 50+ content are people unwilling to find a group to complete the group quests and are unwilling to complete their crafting quests. Funcom is going to cater to that crowd (as they should) by giving them more solo content. That's a good thing, but it doesn't mean that AOC is lacking in content.

And whoever said that there is only one zone for every 10 levels is a complete moron. I used four large zones going from 30-40, two large zones going from 40-50, and three large zones going from 50-60. That's not even including mini-instances like the villas, cannibal caves, and the arena.

38. Re: Sooo.....? Jun 13, 2008, 17:11 AcidDrone

50? try 46-47 thats when I had to grind more or less from then until now (52) and im sitll grinding with maybe 1 quest a level apart from wanted signs. game desperatly needs more content but im sitll enjoying it im just taking it slower because of the grind.

37. Re: Sooo.....? Jun 13, 2008, 17:09 Sepharo

There is no zone for players 30-40

This is when I leveled the fastest and had the most quests.
Hmm, obviously fastest leveling was the first 10 but, relatively 30-40 was a breeze
Are you sure you have any idea what you're talking about?

Khopshef Province has tons of 30-40 quests.
Wild Lands of Zelata has 30-40 quests.
You can join a Sanctum group and get over two lvls from those quests at 35.
Tons of other stuff but I have trouble recalling zone names.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 17:16.

36. No subject Jun 13, 2008, 16:52 Cabezone

Dagok is right, they're still making large changes to how the game plays and adding in content that should already be in there. However, up to 30-40 works pretty well. After my month is up I'm going to leave the game for a while then join back up to continue my couple of 40 level toons.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

35. Re: Sooo.....? Jun 13, 2008, 16:32 Krovven

How is it holding up? Does the content, economy and player base seem like something you would want to invest some time in?

Without having played it I could tell you the following because it applies to every MMO out there.

Wait 6 months, get the game at 50 to 75% the price it is now, and the game will have been patched plenty by then, making it a much better game, than at launch.

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo