Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Flagship/Hellgate Follow-up

Official Statement on Recent News on the Hellgate London: Forums (thanks Shifter) is a follow-up from Flagship Studios CVO David Brevik to the negative comments by programmer Guy Somberg in a blog update (story):

Hello,
I would like to respond to some of the recent coverage that Flagship Studios has received as a result of the publication of Guy Somberg's blog.

Everyone has good days and bad days. Guy was having a bad day. It was his friend's last day of internship and he found out another friend was thinking of leaving. He vented, exaggerated, and posted information that was inaccurate.

We will be the first to admit that Hellgate: London did launch with some problems. The game would certainly have benefited from a couple more months in the oven, but as an independent developer we didn't have the ability to delay our ship date. It can be difficult to stand by and see something that you put your heart and soul into, week in and week out, get the initial reception Hellgate got. It can put a strain on any developer and some days it can get to you. Thankfully, after some very hard work by all the people here, including Guy, the game is much better now and we believe in the future of Hellgate.

Both our studios are currently fully staffed, with our San Francisco studio working on ongoing content for Hellgate: London and our Seattle studio working on our free-to-play MMORPG, Mythos, which should go into open beta within the next couple months. In total, we have over 100 employees working for both studios. As is typical in the industry, after a game is released some people naturally want to work on something else and they leave the company to do so. But in total we have had less than 10% turn-over and have rehired for all needed positions.

All our Directors and Founders are still working at Flagship, and all of them are working on Hellgate: London or Mythos. The team size for Hellgate is as big now as when we shipped. We are putting all of our efforts into these projects and I think it will show in the upcoming Hellgate Abyss Chronicles.

Sincerely, David Brevik CVO Flagship Studios

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. No subject Jun 12, 2008, 23:10 space captain

heh, nice  
Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. No subject Jun 12, 2008, 09:46 Grooves

Go fuck yourself DAVID.

I worked in the "corporate" atmosphere as an executive for many years and left because of bullshit like this. Not one of you upper execs are honest. Not one. You will pull politically correct shit like this out of your ass all day long.

YOU ARE A LIAR.

You are lying to our faces and smiling while you do it.

He wasn't just having a bad day.
You aren't fully staffed.

You send out an email to the public stating that your employee exaggerated? What a piece of shit you are. I only hope that Guy is in a position to tell you to go fuck yourself and post another entry refuting this.

I have seen it a thousand times. I am sure he was called into an office somewhere and disciplined because companies like yours cannot stand people who think for themselves. How dare you come out and try to call him a liar. This isn't Nazi Germany you fuck. The PROPER thing to have done would be to totally agree with him and try to fix the problem.

I'm so glad this game failed. I can certainly see why it did.

36. Re: Speaking of Diablo 2 Jun 12, 2008, 09:38 InBlack

What a crock coverup. LoL, how do you stuff the rabbit back into the hat? Not like this you dont.

Instead of admiting to problems, people try to dust them under the carpet. Typical corporate bullshit, and from a small developer no less....LOL!

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Speaking of Diablo 2 Jun 12, 2008, 04:21 rist3903

I love Diablo 2, but couldn't get into this game.

Diablo 2 ladder will be reset on June 17th.

34. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2008, 01:21 Creston

I'm sure Kristanna Loken, Christian Slater, and Tara Reid could all use another paycheck about now.

Which one of them is the Big HellBoss?

Creston

33. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2008, 00:33 infekt

Edit: It even made my dog howl.

You have a retarded dog. Gratz.

32. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 23:15 Kxmode

I guess Flagship is the Uwe Boll of the gaming world.

Majestic Studios is the Uwe Boll of the gaming world. Flagship is Michael Bolton.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

31. Re: FU Jun 11, 2008, 23:13 Kxmode

Good suck some money from the Koreans

Ironic

-----

30. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 22:30 grudgebearer

WyldKat

I guess Flagship is the Uwe Boll of the gaming world.

From the amount of actual content and story in hellgate, they may have already tapped into boll's "talents."

Boll is probably frothing at the mouth to turn this game into one of his spectacular films. I'm sure Kristanna Loken, Christian Slater, and Tara Reid could all use another paycheck about now.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

29. FU Jun 11, 2008, 22:19 maldoror

Fuck you Roper, I know you are out there. Good suck some money from the Koreans you lost this market.

28. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 21:49 WyldKat

In any other industry releasing a product when it really needed "a few more months in the oven" would not cut it. If a movie needs a few more months they run over budget and hope that it does well enough to justify the expense with the logic that if they released crap, then the whole thing would flop. I don't really understand why gaming companies don't embrace this mythos. If you can't handle going over-budget to release a quality product then maybe you shouldn't be making games at all. Then again...I guess Flagship is the Uwe Boll of the gaming world.

27. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 21:03 Nere

I feel bad for Guy. It sounds like he really poured his heart into this. It's painful watching something you love die.

26. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 20:51 g_mann

I went to your link space cowboy and boy does your music suck as bad as you think hellgate does.

Edit: It even made my dog howl.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 20:54.

25. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 20:40 beigemore

I love Diablo 2, but couldn't get into this game.

24. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 20:30 space captain

yes you need to rest your case. It probably pretty heavy

hahaha 2 edits and you still cant figure out the "quote" switch? yeh, you the type of guy that would LOVE hellgate

Go forth, and kill!

23. blah-blah Jun 11, 2008, 19:38 Hump

blah-blah-blah-damage-control-blah-blah-damage-control-blah-blah-blah-blah-blah
-blah-damage-control-damage-control-blah-blah-etc

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

22. Re: ... Jun 11, 2008, 19:29 Kxmode

Why the hell are there suddenly loads of Flagship cronies on this site?

Those aren't cronies. Those are Flagship staffers forced to troll positive vibes by their lazy overlords! o_o

-----

21. ... Jun 11, 2008, 19:12 theyarecomingforyou

While the topic is fresh, if you haven't given Hellgate a shot, you really should. Plenty of play value here for the $20 Gamestop, Amazon, and GoGamer have it for, and the opening movie is plain bad ass.
WTF? Why the hell are there suddenly loads of Flagship cronies on this site? Nobody gives a shit about opening movies and asking people to chuck down $20 because a random internet poster liked it is quite ridiculous. Recommend the demo? That's fine. Recommend paying $20 because you said so? That's not.

While we're making stupid recommendations I might as well chuck one of mine in:

Don't buy Hellgate because it sucks knob-cheese.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

20. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 19:08 Fibrocyte

You'd guess wrong. There are almost always some fallout after the release of a game, people wanting to move onto different companies/projects, people who just want a change of scenery. It's a pretty typical thing after you spend 3-4 years of your life doing one thing.

They seek different projects and change in scenery outside of their current company because these things are not offered to them. Poor management and lack of motivation is what makes them leave the company, not the release of a game. FFS.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 19:14.

19. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 19:00 Mashiki Amiketo

This is a game wherein you click on things and make them dead. It's a FUN game where you click on things and make them dead.

If that's your basis for fun you must have exceptionally low standards of quality. I can think of dozens of games like that, however I prefer some quality when I'm clicking on something to make them dead, and preferably some goal with plot to make me feel good.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo