Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Limbo of the Lost & Oblivion Similarities

Limbo of the Lost or Oblivion? on GamePlasma.com has word on visual similarities they've discovered between Limbo of the Lost, a new adventure game developed by Majestic Studios, and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, the latest installment in Bethesda Softworks' RPG series (thanks Gamer's Hell). They have several screenshots comparing scenes from both games, and the similarities are quite striking, down to small details. This raises obvious questions about how this came to be, which we have posed to both Bethesda and Limbo of the Lost publisher TriSynergy, but neither party is prepared to issue an official statement about all this right now.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: ... Jun 12, 2008, 16:56 ibm

They're 3 middle aged blokes from Kent, UK.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: ... Jun 12, 2008, 05:57 Muscular Beaver

lol...
To me it looks like this developer is either an east european one or maybe even based in China.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

45. Re: No subject Jun 12, 2008, 05:49 Muscular Beaver

Oh noez kxmode! People making assumptions on the internet? How could that ever happen?!  

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

44. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 22:33 Nere

After looking at the shots all I can say is ..
Wow.

Did they expect to get away with this?

Maybe these are the pirates PC game developers should worry about.

43. Shit Jun 11, 2008, 21:49 Creston

The site seems to be down. Anybody know of any other linkies?

Edit : nm, it's finally loading. Holy fucking thievery batman! It's kind of fitting that if you DO steal from other games, that you'd steal from a game called Thief (which is what you are), and from a game called Oblivion (which is where your thieving shit will wind up.)

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 22:14.

42. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 19:23 Kxmode

You bunch of idiots, those are fake screenshots , take a look at the website of the game for real ones , who ever has done them have just taken the man and UI and and added it as a layer over an Oblivion screenshot..
The real aim is probably to get everyone talking about a silly game that no one will buy

Or drive traffic to GamePlasma

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

41. ... Jun 11, 2008, 19:22 theyarecomingforyou

You bunch of idiots, those are fake screenshots , take a look at the website of the game for real ones , who ever has done them have just taken the man and UI and and added it as a layer over an Oblivion screenshot..
Idiots? Are people expected to browse through several websites in order to verify every story posted here? Should people assume every story like this is a fake? And I haven't seen proof that this story is genuine OR fake. All I know is that from the other screenshots posted here this game is going to be really, really shit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

40. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 19:20 Prez

Holy Thievery!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

39. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 19:04 Rilcon

Oh my lord. It's a 2D adventure game with "pre-rendered" environments. It looks like someone just went into the game (Oblivion, Thief, and probably a few others), removed UI in options, toned down the graphics and took a few screenshots. That or they loaded up map tools for the game and did it there.

37. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 18:08 JDGrant

Wouldn't account for the thief 3 environments.

Oblivion's toolkit is heavilly modified from gambryo's standard, so it would require a bit more than cutting and pasting from one build of the engine to another.
*Edit* Not seeing where it was said they used gamebryo?

But who knows. Maybe the assets were unencrypted in the release build.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 18:10.

36. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 17:55 Idlemalice

The real aim is probably to get everyone talking about a silly game that no one will buy

35. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 17:47 sponge

Just a theory.

Multiple evironments from more than one game. with object placement exactly the same.
Looks like they just ripped meshes and textures from the hardware buffer.

Huh? Didn't another post say that they're using the Gamebryo engine, and could've just copy and pasted right out of the Oblivion toolkit?

34. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 17:26 Lazymutant

yea but bethesda paid for the use of these technologies, but this is a blatent copy of work bethesda done to make oblivion.. but the models, maps and textures are the property of bethesda

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 17:59.

33. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 17:24 Lazymutant

yep bethesda is definatly not going to take kindly to this

32. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 16:56 JDGrant

http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

Just a theory.

Multiple evironments from more than one game. with object placement exactly the same.
Looks like they just ripped meshes and textures from the hardware buffer.

31. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 16:53 Cabezone

Yeah. She could get senile at times. (another generalization?)

Would you prefer It?

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

30. Re: Holy Lawsuit, Batman Jun 11, 2008, 16:43 BubbleMage

If you were in my English class my professor would have called your statement a "flawed over-generalization".

English professors are a "flawed over-generalization."

29. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 16:22 Chicken

To the people saying maybe it's a coincidence did you even look at the large screen shots? Every item and object is in exactly the same place in both games, the engines don't come with pre-made maps like that, no matter how much they paid for a license.

28. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 16:14 Kxmode

In retrospect, and after re-reading all of your comments, I'm jumping ship over to your side. This is just bad. No, actually this is BS.

I can't wait to play their next game. It's set in a post-apocalyptic future, around Washington D.C.

They are calling it Far Out.

The way Majestic rips off games that title might be too creative a name for them. Instead I think they'd call their cloned opus Wasteland.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo