Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tabula Rasa Fine

Eurogamer has word from NCsoft that Tabula Rasa is not in serious trouble, offering a vote of confidence in Richard Garriott's clean-slate MMORPG. According to the story, T.R. is far from being a WoW competitor, but word is:

"Tabula Rasa has a dedicated player base, which is growing month on month," said David Blundell, chief spokesperson for NCsoft Europe.

"Tabula Rasa offers players a different kind of MMO experience, enhancing our portfolio of game titles. The game play mechanics are very different to that of a typical MMO - those who have experienced the game have recognised these innovative features and applauded them.

"A recent European trial promotion was met with great demand; we will be doing a similar promotion later in the year."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 19:45 Karl_L

For people in Australia, this game has dropped to $10 in JB.
And the collectors is only $20.
I was going to get it, but when I noticed the price I figured it wasn't doing so well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 19:33 Kxmode

This game is really good and does not feel or play like WoW at all.

EVE uses a horribly tall sci-fi font and microscopic size that makes this unplayable at 1920 x 1200. The menus also look like they're having an orgy.

Edit: I'm talking about the wrong game.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
This comment was edited on Jun 11, 19:35.

17. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 18:14 Steele Johnson

You're totally wrong. This game is really good and does not feel or play like WoW at all.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 18:16.

16. Re: MMOs aren't for everyone Jun 11, 2008, 17:19 dubfanatic

If I'm not mistaken, EVE Online had a bit of a rocky start and has now grown into a very large MMO.

You are mistaken. EVE is a tiny niche title.

15. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 17:10 Hump

The only issue i have with paying monthly is if the publisher is charging full retail price for the game client and also demanding a monthly fee.

In Asia most MMOG's are free with monthly fees and/or micro transactions being the form of payment. Supposedly publishers here claim that Westerners assume a game is inferior if its free, so they charge.

sounds more like blatant greed to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

14. Re: ... Jun 11, 2008, 15:59 Armengar

4-7 hours of quality play though? Or sat around waiting to find a party to help the grind...

Im not a fan of pay monthly (guild wars was ok but I got bored). I was soon back to TF2. Oh how I hate that naughty stepchild but I cannot let it go....

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

13. MMOs aren't for everyone Jun 11, 2008, 15:16 Ruffiana

Shocking, yes I know. Personally, I love em. Don't really enjoy FPS anymore, I find most of them to be tedious, repetitive, formulaic, etc...almost the exact same complaints I see from many about MMOs.

I haven't played TR and don't really have any urge to (I'm playing more than enough MMOs right now), but I am very happy to see developers/publishers trying to expand the market beyond the Fantasy genre.

If I'm not mistaken, EVE Online had a bit of a rocky start and has now grown into a very large MMO. So it is possible to expand and thrive if the right choices are made. Sincerely hope this happens for TR, but with Garriot off galavanting through space, I've got reservations.

Maybe it'll do better with him out of the office.

Dollar/Entertainment hour, MMOs are still one of the best forms of entertainment in the world. If you like playing them that is. If not, no worries. Plenty of other types of games for you to spend your coin on.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 15:19.

12. Re: ... Jun 11, 2008, 14:36 Aganazer

But those people might as well save their money and buy a conventional game. I still haven't seen an MMO that justifies the money yet

So you're just another person that takes issue with monthly fees or do you have any real issue with TR?

A 'conventional game' has a typical cost of about $40 for about 10-20 hours of game play. That's $2-$4 an hour. As long as you're playing TR for 4-7 hours a month then you're better off paying the monthly fee.

11. ... Jun 11, 2008, 13:55 theyarecomingforyou

why wouldn't you? there are large amounts of people who work for a living and don't have the time to dedicate 5 hours+ per night to level their character. You can have fun in short spurts with TR.
But those people might as well save their money and buy a conventional game. I still haven't seen an MMO that justifies the money yet, especially when Guild Wars is free from monthly charges and the sequel will be as well. Not that I'm criticising its existence - people are free to spend their money how they wish.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. niche Jun 11, 2008, 13:34 Kxmode

I'm sure Mr. Garriott knew TR would be a niche title. I mean let's look at NC Soft's games... most of them are niche with a dedicated player base.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

9. Re: Followed by.... Jun 11, 2008, 13:10 Lorcin

when all the beta tester fanboys purchased their boxed copies.

Erm actually I was a beta tester of AOC and Vanguard. I only bought Vanguard 9 months after it's release (which was a mistake as I'd given up after the 1st month but had a lot of friends nagging me too buy it) and I'm waiting for AOC to get patched into some sembelence of a complete game before I get that.

8. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 12:57 Hump

Surely if you're paying monthly you want something that isn't "light"?

why wouldn't you? there are large amounts of people who work for a living and don't have the time to dedicate 5 hours+ per night to level their character. You can have fun in short spurts with TR.

I had a ton of fun with the game in beta. Just the fact that its not a fantasy based MMOG makes it attractive IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

7. ... Jun 11, 2008, 12:19 theyarecomingforyou

Its not the kind of game that you make a career out of ... but more of a light action MMO.
Surely if you're paying monthly you want something that isn't "light"? I played the Fileplanet beta / preview and found it tedious and unenjoyable... as a game I wouldn't touch it, let alone as a subscription service.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

6. Re: Followed by.... Jun 11, 2008, 12:03 Rogerwilco2008

Don't take this the wrong way Surf, but you are entertaining the **** out of me this morning. Bravo!

5. Re: Followed by.... Jun 11, 2008, 12:00 Flo

All MMORPGs should just release the trial client after about 4 weeks, when all the beta tester fanboys purchased their boxed copies.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

4. Followed by.... Jun 11, 2008, 11:26 Surf

"I won't cum in your mouth"

and

"Checks in the mail!"

More fucking lies.....

3. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 11:13 PHJF

Bull shit, TR is exactly like every other MMO. Massive grind.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 10:04 Kajetan

Is there a way to test Tabula Rasa? The initial reason i play WoW was the easy and quick start with this game. Just downloaded a tiny trial client and 30 min later my character was already at level 3. And after 10 days i payed for a month.

I wanted to try Guild Wars ... but, where to get trial keys?

I wanted to try LOTRO, but after downloading 3.5 gig the installation fails because of corrupted install files.

Hello, dear mmo companys! You want paying customers? Just make it VERY, VERY, VERY easy to try the game.

1. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 09:48 Aganazer

Believe it or not, TR is a fun as hell game. Its not the kind of game that you make a career out of like WoW, EQ2, and AOC, but more of a light action MMO. There's a lot to like there if you can set aside MMORPG expectations and enjoy the game for what it is.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo