Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: AoC, adult content, game content, etc Jun 12, 2008, 10:00 InBlack

Good review, quite fair, however he doesnt mention that the game is quite a bit of fun even in its uncompleted state.

Still that is no excuse that the game has shipped in this uncompleted sorry state.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. AoC, adult content, game content, etc Jun 11, 2008, 23:43 JohnBirshire

I have been chugging along with AoC since the last portion of beta and also have been since launch.

To be honest, it does feel a lot like "more of the same". Aside from a couple changes, the overall concept is exactly the same as many other MMOs I've played in the last several years.

One thing that I'm confused about for example, is where is all of this "adult content?". It was hyped up and advertised for years, but all it seems to be is some unrealistic red liquid that sprays everywhere when you barely hit somebody...and that's pretty much it. Blood is nice, but in this game every person seems to have 50 quarts of it. That's not "adult content", thats "overkill". It actually lessons realistic belief, it doesn't add to immersion. Also, even the "hookers" are fully clothed for the most part. Adult content? Eh? This game has been falsely advertised in many ways, and this is just one of them.

However, I'm still going to play AoC. The combat system is interesting, and it requires that you make a self conscience effort to pay attention to what you are doing. Some of the quests are "bad guy" in nature, which is proving to be refreshing.

As for content...most MMOs lately haven't had much content at launch. Even WoW had very little to do at level 60 the first half a year+ it was out. No battlegrounds. No arenas. No high level raids. Just level to 60...then stand around either twiddling your thumbs or rerolling an alt. To hear people praise WoW's content yet condemn AoC's in the same sentence is asinine.

But anyways, on topic with the review, it is rewarding in a way to see a diverging review for once, rather than just a cut & paste from what every other website review has said.

8. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 16:40 LittleMe

HardCore yes it was a great review that pulled no punches. I don't like the word should. The monthly fee *might* make the game better or it might not. The monthly fee might just mean we get more games, rather than better games. Or it might mean that support is better. The monthly fee guarantees nothing directly, except that they take money from us on a monthly basis.

That said, more money does mean that there is the lure of, well, more money, so developers will likely make games based on those projections. So there can certainly be a benefit to the monthly fees. Money doesn't fix or solve everything though.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

7. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 16:01 sc4r4b

Yeah that is an honest review for sure. AoC is a huge disapointment for me. Oh well, back to WoW for my MMO fix.

6. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 15:38 HardCore

Good review.
Many people rationalize away all the games weaknesses.

It's funny to me that the whole idea of MMO's subscription is that more of the money would go into a better made product. Shouldn't it?

I guess it really means keep paying and we promise we will fix it and make it better, even if they do it's too little too late.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 15:39.

5. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 15:20 Jarnis

"How the fuck, with a summary like that, does it still get 76%?"

The review text is a subjective view, with clearly disclosed bias (see page 1, dislike of half-finished games), and it sure doesn't even try to pull any punches dissecting the game. The score is an attempt to compare it to the competition *without* any subjective bias. It's still an above-average game that some people might like to play.

Also, it was a major disappointment exactly because Funcom hyped it up so much, touting it as the second coming or something like that - and then they go ahead and release a half-finished game, cutting features such as DX10 and including others that are half-implemented in a hurry.

4. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 15:09 ibm

"Age of Conan might turn out to be a fair game at some future date, but we can't score a game based on future promises. As it stands now, it's incomplete, rushed and buggy, with major game systems utterly broken. Recommended only for exploit hunters and MMO fanatics that enjoy waiting for that next patch - the one that will "fix everything" - even when it never does."

How the fuck, with a summary like that, does it still get 76%?

That's all I read of the review, one paragraph of bitterness is enough, really can't be bothered to read 6 pages of that shit.
This comment was edited on Jun 11, 15:10.

3. Re: AoC Review Jun 11, 2008, 14:54 LittleMe

Not from my perspective. He didn't let the hype take him over. I'm definitely not letting my subscription renew. AOC is far from a finished game. Underneath the surface of what looks like a great game, is an unfinished one.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

2. Re: AoC Review Jun 11, 2008, 14:46 Starang

Thought it was a great AOC review, he has actually played the game unlike all the other reviewers who played the tutorial and a few quests in white sands and gave it great reviews (guess they were distracted by the shiny graphics).

Quoting from the review

"..as what you are getting is effectively a half-finished beta with a subscription fee. There is some potential for sure, but based on historical evidence with Anarchy Online, personally I'm not holding my breath. Simple bugs and missing things will most likely get fixed as the time goes by, but there are several flaws that run so deep that they are almost impossible to correct at this point."

Spot on in my opinion. I still have a few days left on my "free" subscription and I have already stopped playing. I doubt I'll ever touch it again.

1. AoC Review Jun 11, 2008, 13:47 Fion

Man this guy have a chip on his shoulder or what?

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo