Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

QUAKE Ray Tracing Movie

PCGH has video from the Game Developer's Conference earlier this year, showing off ray tracing in Quake III Arena, Quake 4, and Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars using specially modified versions of each game. This is an academic exercise, but offers a nice primer on the benefits of ray tracing.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. On the wish list Jun 15, 2008, 23:25 UnderLord

It sure would be nice to have shadows and reflections in Second Life, next version maybe?
(Of course, then we'll start wanting high poly count avatars too !)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: raytracing. Jun 12, 2008, 15:31 morose

All it said to me after comparing the different versions of the games was that Carmack is moving in the right direction with his super texture focus at ID. Reflections, refractions, and shadows are such a small part of what makes most games immersive that devoting the kind of horsepower to it to make those things perfect seems like a bad investment to me.

13. Re: raytracing. Jun 11, 2008, 17:05 Tumbler

Part 2? Part 2?! WHERE IS PART 2!?

Pretty impressive results. Ray tracing takes a lot of power and to be able to do it in real time like that would make it possible to do crazy effects and stuff in games with the power that was set aside to do shadows, reflections and everything else.

This looks similar to what we saw in that preview vid for the next stalker game by changing lighting conditions in real time. (Shadows moved, etc) I'm having trouble imagining how it will benefit the experience for the end user, but it should cut down the coding needed to fake those affects and put programers into making more content I guess?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

12. raytracing. Jun 11, 2008, 11:49 mysticmage

Nice demos. and those people in april who said its not possible are still right. look at what they are doing it with?. quake 3,4 what is the Polygon count on those models? 500? or less. quake 4? 1200? max texture size 256x256?
that is how they are doing it. unlike high end. 3d studio max each model could be 30,000 Polygons with 2048 or higher texture sizes. i would love to see ray tracing with Age of conan or crysis or any game release within the last 6 months.

ray tracing is still something we'll see done with 3d studio max or maya for years to come. or until we get 24 core processors with 32gb of ram.

11. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 08:33 AhrimaaN

Where is part two?

Most impressive!

10. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 07:03 Lit_Reflex001

For me, not so long. Back in 2005 or so there was hit show after show. The political and social commentary was scathing, and the humor was just literally laugh out loud hilarious.

That has ended, though. The new humor is obviously written from different writers who do not understand how to make Homer actually funny. The Simpsons movie is an abysmal failure and is nothing but a poor attempt at physical comedy, where the original series was loaded with hilarious social and political commentary. They talked trash about everyone and everything, in a way that was just a kick to the nuts out of left field.

This new crap isn't even funny, and somewhat reminds me of the new SNL episodes/Geico commercials. RIP, Simpsons.

This comment was edited on Jun 11, 07:04.

9. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 04:35 manic half

I wish the game content would keep up with the visual advancements... think simpsons.. how realistic looking is it? so why do so many (including myself) enjoy it for so long?

simpsons has been dead for a long, long time.

8. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 03:23 DangerDog

Yet we're still rendering frames in animation programs like 3D Max etc.

I know there's a lot more stuff going on but for many projects this real time approach would be just fine.

7. Re: ... Jun 11, 2008, 02:26 shul

ooooh... atari ST!!!

800XL here :-)

6. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 01:51 Flo

Uh, hold on a minute, I gotta reflect about that...  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

5. No subject Jun 11, 2008, 01:17 Daturan

I wish the game content would keep up with the visual advancements... think simpsons.. how realistic looking is it? so why do so many (including myself) enjoy it for so long?

4. Re: ... Jun 11, 2008, 01:03 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

With computing power constantly increasing it's inevitable that technologies that were once impractical become commonplace

The return of voxels? But yeah I was surprised at 90fps, very nice.

3. Re: ... Jun 10, 2008, 23:33 CreamyBlood

I remember using my Atari ST to to ray trace a cube and a sphere with a plain background and it took several days to render one frame.

I'd love to play Quake Wars with real time ray tracer, not that I'd be paying too much attention to the reflections within reflections...

2. ... Jun 10, 2008, 23:09 theyarecomingforyou

Very nice. With computing power constantly increasing it's inevitable that technologies that were once impractical become commonplace, with raytracing being an example of that. It was only in April that people here were suggesting that it simply wasn't possible and would be too demanding - clearly it's a lot closer than was thought if this project is able to maintain 90fps.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

1. No subject Jun 10, 2008, 22:45 bigspender

yay i can finally find a use for all of my spare cores lol

CRITICAL PATCH released within 2 weeks = RETURN TO STORE
IN GAME ADVERTISING = GO ***** YOURSELVES

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo