Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Alone in the Dark

Alone in the Dark Goes Gold is the press release announcing the conclusion of development on Atari's horror/survival game, which is expected in North American stores on June 24 and European stores on June 20 for PC, Xbox 360, Wii, and PlayStation 2, while the PlayStation 3 edition is expected to follow sometime this fall. And Central Park is scary enough at night even before you account for the "earth-shattering truth" it holds:

Atari today announced that development is complete on the highly anticipated action survival game Alone in the Dark, and the game is on track to ship 20 June in Europe and 24 June in North America for Xbox 360 game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PC, Wii and PlayStation 2 . The PLAYSTATION 3 version is scheduled for autumn 2008. Central Park is hiding a secret. Over the course of one apocalyptic night trapped in Manhattan’s vast parkland, hero Edward Carnby must fight the unimaginable to survive and uncover the earth-shattering truth. New York will never be the same again.

Developed by Eden Games, Alone in the Dark for Xbox 360 and PC aims to change what gamers expect from action games with a ground-breaking reinvention of the classic franchise which debuted in 1992 and created the survival horror genre. Continuing the legacy of innovation of that first game, the new Alone in the Dark re-imagines the genre with engrossing cinematic presentation, compelling gameplay challenges and a thrilling narrative story arc.

The richly-detailed, contemporary setting of New York's Central Park is the host for a challenging mix of gameplay experiences, unprecedented environmental interaction and combat all based on real-world rules and physics. A seamless on-character inventory and health recovery system combine to maintain the immersion as the player drives the story through the free-roaming expanse of Central Park.

Inspired by the story-telling twists and turns of many blockbuster TV series, Alone in the Dark innovates once again with a DVD-style chapter select menu which lets players of all abilities reach the game’s dramatic, riveting climax and get the full value out of the game.

“With its genre-busting mix of gameplay, wide-screen presentation style and DVD chapter select feature putting the player in control, Alone in the Dark will thrill all gamers,” said Phil Harrison, President of Infogrames Entertainment. “It’s a game which will challenge the player but also reward them with a one-of-a-kind video game experience and a huge amount of fun.”

The Wii and PS2 versions of Alone in the Dark have been developed by Hydravision Entertainment in parallel with the Xbox 360 and PC games created by Eden Studios. The PS2 game pushes the hardware to maximise the gameplay experience, while the Wii game has been especially adapted to make use of the unique controllers in a variety of gameplay situations from driving to the real-time manipulation of objects.

In addition to the standard game, Xbox 360, PC and Wii Limited Editions will be available at launch from selected European retailers featuring exclusive items including hero figurine, art book and ‘making of’ documentary DVD.

For more information on Alone in the Dark visit http://www.centraldark.com.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: ... Jun 9, 2008, 18:20 Jerykk

The PS2 and Wii versions were done by a different developer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: ... Jun 9, 2008, 17:51 Overon

I am worried about the kind of compromises that were necessary to the pc version given that it was released on consoles especially ps2 and wii.

13. ... Jun 9, 2008, 16:44 theyarecomingforyou

I'm not sure why people are complaining about Alone in the Dark moving to consoles.
I wasn't complaining about it moving onto consoles but that it's making it to all the consoles, despite some being very underpowered. It just strikes me as slightly desperate - by spreading the developers over 5 consoles with different controllers and radically different performance it seems likely that compromises are going to be made along the way, logically more than a standard PC/PS3/X360 game. Don't get me wrong, I'm haven't played the game so I'm not criticising it - I'll reserve judgement until I've played it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

12. Re: No subject Jun 9, 2008, 14:59 Jerykk

This new AitD has aiming. Therefore, it is better with a M+KB.

11. No subject Jun 9, 2008, 14:33 Veinman

I'm not sure why people are complaining about Alone in the Dark moving to consoles. The PC titles certainly didn't contain gameplay that couldn't be replicated perfectly on consoles, particularly the first one. In fact, the first one completely redone today could be really awesome.

I loaded it up a year or so ago to revisit it. Today, the controls are truly cringe-worthy.

10. Re: No subject Jun 9, 2008, 14:12 nin

I'd really like a demo. Since the PS3 version is delayed I'm wondering if I can run it on my aging PC.

You bet! Fire it up, hit the power button on the display, and turn off the lights.

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: No subject Jun 9, 2008, 14:00 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

I'd really like a demo. Since the PS3 version is delayed I'm wondering if I can run it on my aging PC.

8. Re: ... Jun 9, 2008, 13:23 DG

I havent played any of the predecessors before but some clips I saw made this look like a very interesting game - try Real World Rules 1 & 2 on http://www.centraldark.com video page.

Some other clips a little more iffy so going to wait for some reviews before deciding to rent or buy.

7. Re: ... Jun 9, 2008, 12:00 Jerykk

Lines like "thrilling narrative story arc" in the press release, which I know I've heard used before by corporate marketdroids, seem to confirm this'll be generic and by-the-numbers with an old familiar name stuck on it.

Have you actually read or watched anything of the game or are you basing your entire conclusion off a press release?

6. Re: ... Jun 9, 2008, 11:19 Evil Timmy

Wow, this really doesn't sound like the AitD I used to play. I'll check up on a bit after release, but it seems they've put a new coat of paint on a generic console action title to turn a quick buck. Before this, Eden Games did the V-Rally series (in NA prefaced with Need for Speed), NFS: Porsche Unleashed, and most recently Test Drive Unlimited. This seems like a step out of their purely racing-game pedigree, and more like they've just been handed a previous engine and license and told to make a game with it, as they're wholly owned by Atari/Infogrames. Lines like "thrilling narrative story arc" in the press release, which I know I've heard used before by corporate marketdroids, seem to confirm this'll be generic and by-the-numbers with an old familiar name stuck on it. That will get word out, guaranteed, and even if it's on the rabid lips of an angry veteran gamer, at the end of the day, it'll sell more copies with people burning game boxes in effigy on the streets in protest, than would an original, forgettable IP of the same or better quality.

5. ... Jun 9, 2008, 10:40 theyarecomingforyou

It seems they're desperate to restore the Alone in the Dark brand if they're releasing on PS2 and Wii as well. It's still shaping up better than the last game but I don't see that it has much relation to the incredibly atmospheric originals.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

4. No subject Jun 9, 2008, 10:18 osage no onna

I was rather looking forward to this until I saw the recent clip with zombies flying all over the place. I really hope that wasn't indicative of the actual game. I suppose action shooters are easy to sell, but based on the video I'd say they "ground-breakingly reinvented" the series a bit too much.

3. Re: No subject Jun 9, 2008, 10:07 Overon

Demo?
Draconian copy protection?

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 10:08.

2. No subject Jun 9, 2008, 09:47 Overon

Please be good and non gimmicky.

1. Interesting Jun 9, 2008, 09:44 Techie714 ©

I'm not familiar with this franchise, but I have read quite a bit of good press on this game. I'll have to check it out.

"Being bad, never felt so good"

http://dl.nin.com/theslip/signup

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..