Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TF2 Pyro Update Plans

This week's Steam Marketing message outlines the changes planned for the Pyro class in Team Fortress 2 in an upcoming update:

We've almost completely wrapped up the next big release for Team Fortress 2, which will focus on the Pyro class, along with the Meet the Sniper movie. We've spent time looking at how the recent Medic release went, and have rolled feedback from that release into the new item designs for the Pyro and into the design of the achievements required to unlock those items. One item, shown here in concept form, will be the Axtinguisher. Although it does about half of normal damage to standard run-of-the-mill non-burning enemies, once you light someone on fire the Axtinguisher will guarantee a critical hit.

Along with all of the new content, we're also going to be making some significant changes to the Pyro class for everyone, regardless of whether they have unlocked any new items.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 21:52 Jerykk

--I'll never understand how CS maintains.

Accessibility. It runs on pretty much any computer made in the last ten years and is fundamentally easy to pick up and play. This is pretty much the same reason why WoW is so successful too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 19:53 Hump

I'm guessing that "tf" under the Half-Life 2 heading = Team Fortress 2.

It think your guess is wrong. TF if not TF2.

sorry brother but it is TF2

Look under Half-Life 1 servers and you'll see TF Classic with player numbers under 1k

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

44. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 19:09 Overon

What you call "free content" should have been included at the start. What did you get in the Orange Box? Team Fortress classic with the same classes, and same maps, albeit tweaked a bit, and some fancy graphics... maybe if there had been achievements from the get go, there'd still be 9k people playing it. And isn't balancing something you can do at least on a basic level during in house beta?
I shouldn't have said "free content." I should have said additional content. Like I said the whole design philosophy is about iteration and tweaking and additions after purchase. Frankly I like their method better than finishing a game and then releasing it and then not lukewarmly supporting it. I think they have a proven track record of quality which I think is because of their iterative design process.

Damn I sound like a valve fanboy. But I am open to criticism.

43. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 19:05 Overon

I'm guessing that "tf" under the Half-Life 2 heading = Team Fortress 2.
It think your guess is wrong. TF if not TF2.

42. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 16:03 RedFlagKid

But the benefit for us gamers is that we have active and involved developer who is making changes and adding new content at not additional cost.

What you call "free content" should have been included at the start. What did you get in the Orange Box? Team Fortress classic with the same classes, and same maps, albeit tweaked a bit, and some fancy graphics... maybe if there had been achievements from the get go, there'd still be 9k people playing it. And isn't balancing something you can do at least on a basic level during in house beta?

Having said this, I still love the game and play it daily. But it's definitely got some flaws.

41. Re: Wishlist. Jun 8, 2008, 13:56 nin

FRACK YOU VALVE.

It doesn't matter - you're accounts banned anyway, remember?

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/
"The Bellic boys! Talking over your town, assholes!"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

40. Wishlist. Jun 8, 2008, 13:32 mOOzilla

I wish to remove all server advertising spam from my HUD, customise HUD. Every 30 seconds it spams server commercials in the MIDDLE of my damn game, then the time udpates, and various other server spam. It just gets in the wayI also want to remove chat window completely, people are too obsessed with typing "rank" and "session" every 20 seconds in between the usual UT one line personal "yer mother" attacks.

Jetpacks and vehicles. Oh wait thats Tribes 2.

And stop removing the ledges in the ceiling in maps every update because I use them to boost up to

Usually the game is with everybody being a medic and hiding in the spawn cage stat padding.

Keep up the innovation Valve.

Oh and they ENCOURAGE you to spam ADDING FRIENDS just because you can get achivements. So I spend so much time blocking and declining invites.

FRACK YOU VALVE.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 13:37.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

39. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 13:22 RP

Here is the official page from Gamespy, which provides the data for those horrendous line graphs:

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

Click on Half-Life 2 and you'll get a breakdown of various "mods," of which DoD:S and CS:S are included. I'm guessing that "tf" under the Half-Life 2 heading = Team Fortress 2.

38. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 13:00 Fifth

--Ut2004 holding steady at just under 4k players, while UT3 is showing less than 400?! Can that actually be accurate?
only if you count bots as players like the UT2004 server browser does.

37. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 12:55 Overon

http://www.onlinegamingzeitgeist.com/games/ Shows how the game has gone from a nice peak before christmas to a huge decline.
For the love of god, someone needs to learn how to create line graphs. You don't put so many lines on a tiny little graph.

36. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 12:53 Jow

I just checked out that chart. Interesting info - down from almost 9k players in December to less than 2k now? That's pretty extraordinary. You can even see the little spike resulting from the medic unlock release, but needless to say it's dropped back down again pretty quickly.

Other non-TF2 stuff that stands out:

--I'll never understand how CS maintains.
--Ut2004 holding steady at just under 4k players, while UT3 is showing less than 400?! Can that actually be accurate?

35. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 12:50 Overon

TF2 greatest strength and greatest weakness is it's simplicity. You get a lot of sales because it appeals to everyone but you have less to keep people interested.

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 12:57.

34. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 12:35 Beady

TF2 was TFc, stripped of a lot of the depth (bitch about grenade spam all you want, but grenades were a massive part of how attack versus defence was balanced to reduce stalemates. Static defence is eaten up by them.) and has really dropped massively in player figures.

http://www.onlinegamingzeitgeist.com/games/ Shows how the game has gone from a nice peak before christmas to a huge decline.

33. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 12:22 mag

This is valve's model for "achievements." An achievement is something that I can statistically accomplish through normal gameplay mechanics. If I have to *know* what the achievement is before I can realistically *achieve* it, then it doesn't fucking belong in the game

I got a lot of the medic achievements just by playing regularly. I had to enlist a friend's help (while playing on a regular server, while actually playing to help the time, and in fact won the game for us a few times) to get a few of the others. Of course, I'm still at 22 of the 36, but I haven't played medic much lately.

32. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 12:17 Prez

I was thinking the same thing about the "unlock orgies", I just didn't have such a colorful name. There will be nothing but pyros for a week, then nothing but scouts, then nothing but snipers... oh wait. That's the average server now.

I feel that the best way to do unlocks is the Enemy territory model, where everyone starts with the same equipment and earns the new equipment, but only keeps them for a slong as they stay on the server.

But I'd really prefer no unlockables at all.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

31. No subject Jun 8, 2008, 12:09 Jow

Aside of being a little taken aback at some of the more off-the-wall medic achievements, I'm having fun with it. Provided you don't feel like you absolutely have to have all the unlocks to compete or feel better about yourself, just keep playing the game like you always did and it's pretty likely you'll eventually get at least the first unlock.

The release pattern is a problem though, especially if they maintain this "one class at a time" schedule as they continue to release unlockables. It means seven more periods of "OMG I WANT TO UNLOCK EVERYTHING" orgies after release where it's pretty pointless to even think about playing the game for a while.

30. No subject Jun 8, 2008, 11:45 Hump

I think they're just trying to get some attention to TF2 because of it's falling popularity.

I was going to call you crazy but i brought up all the TF2 servers and out of almost 2000 it looks like most are unoccupied. If I had to guess it looks like less than a thousand are playing. heres the stats page for HL2 but i don't know if the "TF" is for TF classic or TF2:

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/mods.asp?id=1111&s=1

If it IS TF2 it still is a lot lower than I would've thought.

I'm wondering if TF2's greatest asset, its simplicity, is also causing players to quickly lose interest as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

29. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 11:36 Overon

I guess I understand wanting to release TF2 ASAP since it was so far removed from the original and classic, but this almost feels like an unfinished game... I really would have preferred buying all the achievements and special weapons at once when it was ready. Hearing that they are still designing and tweaking one classes stuff is especially disheartening... Oh, and a pack of new levels would have been great too.
Valve always talks about how their games are created in an iterative process. So you can understand why many of their games keep getting balanced and tweaked and additional content is added. I don't think this a bad idea. From their point of view they can release a game and get revenue before the game is "done" completely. But the benefit for us gamers is that we have active and involved developer who is making changes and adding new content at not additional cost. I think valve makes better games using this method.

And stat whoring was over after the first week. I've since been on losing teams with no medic, only to change classes myself.
The stat whoring died down after a week.

28. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 11:25 ColoradoHoudini

I went and read all the criteria for the achievements.. ahh..
those are somewhat outlandish.
Then you have to get all 36? wow.. i'd be lucky if I got 10 of them.

Maybe those achievements aren't for players like me.. which is a shame, because those are the things that would keep a more casual gamer like myself, coming back to play more. (if i had access to those known medic unlocks)

27. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2008, 10:29 Overon

I havn't been able to achieve these accomplishments, do you think if I played TF2 my self worth would rise?
Only if you were good. If you were not good, then your self esteem would fall.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo