Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Free Deus Ex

Calling JC Denton! GameTap announces the new free game they are offering as of this week is the Deus Ex: Game of the Year edition, ION Storm's cyberpunk RPG/first-person shooter first released in 2000. Update: The two other new games this week are Astro Fury and Cradle of Rome (which are not free, as this story implied before it was corrected).

View
93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

93. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 9, 2008, 16:36 Bet

Improved Renderer http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ (get the latest OpenGL version for Deus Ex, 1.8)

This is actually pretty fantastic. It's second only to Glide wrappers (like zeckensack's) as far as things that are great with programmers these days. Some geniuses going back and making things right with the renderers, so we can enjoy the games to the fullest on today's hardware. Loading up a game in Glide mode on a Geforce 8800 makes me giggle every time I do it.

That replacement UT renderer is just great, period.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

92. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 8, 2008, 14:38 Evil Timmy

Here's the links to the mods I mentioned.

Shifter @ ModDB http://www.moddb.com/mods/8002/shifter
Improved Renderer http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ (get the latest OpenGL version for Deus Ex, 1.8)
HTDP, as mentioned, is a demo, and makes little to no difference. Besides, it's been linked to plenty of times already. It's still being worked on, but not worth using at this point.

91. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 7, 2008, 22:09 Bet

Unfortunately, with Gametap you can't play Deus Ex in widescreen, because that requires an INI edit (and the GameTap version doesn't have any INI files).

Someone reported this as actually not being necessary with the Steam install anymore, through Widescreen Gaming Forum. Trying to recall whether or not I edited the .ini file without thinking about it, but I'm pretty sure (since this HD was wiped and I had to start with Steam from scratch 2 months ago) that I didn't edit anything.

The question is then whether it was Valve that edited something, or Eidos (doubtful), or something else entirely (what the hell would it be?). Valve has supported widescreen the proper way, so that would be credible. Though weird. Wondering if anyone using the free Gametap version can select widescreen resolutions without edits.

Speaking of mods though, Burden of 80 Proof is the one and only mod for this game. Fuck graphics. This is what it's all about.

Also for anyone talking about GameTap costs...it's $5/month when you do a year. And GameTap is something you do once a year. Pay for it the same day every year, and forget it except for when you want to play a game. Or play free games, although I've never tried it myself so I have no idea how annoying the ads are. For $5/month I won't put up with ads though. And if they bother you, you bring it on yourself.

90. Re: ... Jun 7, 2008, 12:48 >U

Today's headlines: Riley in Steam bashing thread highjacking non-surprise.
I didn't bring up Steam first in this thread. It was the usual Steam suckups who did in their ridiculous attempts to get people to buy pay for a subscription to Deus Ex on Steam instead of playing it for free on Gametap or buying a retail copy on CD-ROM. So, if anyone hijacked it, they did, not me.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 12:58.

89. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 7, 2008, 12:41 >U

My usage of the phrase "console commands" means commands entered in the console, not commands entered in the autoexec.cfg file (as I explained), even though the commands are the same for Quake 3 engine games.
Except that those commands ARE the same, AND they can be made in the autoexec.cfg file which makes your point moot. They don't have to be re-entered each time, hence, you are wrong which is why I pointed that out.

If the resolution commands are entered in the console for a Quake 3 engine game, they will have to be re-entered next time.
It depends on the Quake 3-based game. Technically any CVAR can be flagged to be saved in the code, and seta will save them. Some games just don't flag the necessary ones.

Can you not see that using the autoexec.cfg file is equivalent to using an INI file for Deus Ex?
No, because they aren't equivalent in that respect as I proved. The Unreal commands do get saved. End of story. Stop continuing to dig a hole for yourself. Step out of it and move on.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 12:55.

88. Re: IT IS NOT FREE Jun 7, 2008, 12:35 >U

You have to PAY to be a GOLD member on GameTap to play it.
Deus Ex is free on GameTap. You don't need a gold subscription to play it. If you actually read the posts in this forum, you would know that I and at least a couple of others here like CreamyBlood have played it using the free subscription. CLick on this: http://www.gametap.com/play/gameDetails/000459050 See where it says "play free"? That means you don't have to pay to play it.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 12:57.

87. Re: ... Jun 7, 2008, 10:27 Tango

Today's headlines: Riley in Steam bashing thread highjacking non-surprise.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 10:33.

86. IT IS NOT FREE Jun 7, 2008, 10:19 mOOzilla

You have to PAY to be a GameTap GOLD MEMBER to play it.  
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

85. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 7, 2008, 09:26 Ecthelion

udging from your screenshot, they're not offcenter. They're in the center of the screen, but the right portion of the display is being truncated.
Yeah, I know. I said as much later in my post. What I meant by off-center was in relation to the visible screen. But you're right, they're in the center of the game screen (part of which is truncated off the visible screen).

Are you sure you used both the ResSet and FOV commands? ResSet sets the "FullscreenViewportX=" and "FullscreenViewportY=" settings in the INI file, so the effect is not any different than editing the INI file manually. Try exiting the game and relaunching it after issuing the commands.
Yes, I used both commands. I also exited and relaunched the game (that's how I tested the commands' "stickiness").

I don't have a widescreen monitor, but both commands worked for me in both windowed mode and fullscreen mode at several resolutions that my monitor supports. For example I can run the game in 960x600 widescreen mode in a window on my monitor using those commands without a problem. Try running the game in windowed mode if the commands did not work for you in fullscreen mode.
The screen may look right using a lower resolution (although that wouldn't look as good as the native one my monitor support) or running in windowed mode. What I saw may be a fluke (which may crop up using the INI method as well).

84. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 7, 2008, 09:15 Ecthelion

I didn't ignore it. It simply wasn't relevant. What you meant by "console commands" doesn't change the fact that what you wrote was incorrect. Those console commands don't have to be re-entered at the console. That's what autoexec.cfg is for.
It most certainly was relevant. My usage of the phrase "console commands" means commands entered in the console, not commands entered in the autoexec.cfg file (as I explained), even though the commands are the same for Quake 3 engine games. If the resolution commands are entered in the console for a Quake 3 engine game, they will have to be re-entered next time. The only way around this is by using the autoexec.cfg file, which would not work if someone were using a system like GameTap which didn't provide the game's files for the player to access.

Can you not see that using the autoexec.cfg file is equivalent to using an INI file for Deus Ex? If there were Quake 3 games in GameTap, they would not support widescreen.

It IS a moot point because we're not talking about Quake 3 games in GameTap as Deus Ex is NOT a Quake 3 engine game. What I wrote is correct for standard Quake 3 games. I don't and didn't dispute that it wouldn't work under GameTap's DRM because that is a moot point here.
How it relates to Deus Ex is that I wrongly believed console commands (entered at the console, not in a configuration file) would not stick in Deus Ex and other Unreal engine games, based on my experience using them in Quake 3 engine games. It is a moot point insofar as Unreal engine games don't work the same way as Quake 3 engine games when it comes to console commands (at least widescreen ones). But I didn't know that at the time, hence my comparison.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 09:27.

83. IT IS NOT FREE Jun 7, 2008, 09:13 mOOzilla

You have to PAY to be a GOLD member on GameTap to play it.

Lies.

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

82. Re: Really? Jun 7, 2008, 02:10 Creston

"You can find it at http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/?page_id=3"

Thanks for linkies to both of you who posted it! Hopefully they'll finish it soon. The website seems to indicate it's pretty close to complete.

Creston

81. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2008, 02:06 Creston

I've heard many times that some people felt the game was too long

Those are the goddamn fuckers that are to thank for every game now being 4 hours in total length. Soon every game will be Portal. Ie, you can go buy it, install it AND finish it during a normal workday lunch break.

Deus Ex's length was PERFECT. It told the story it wanted to tell, didn't cut corners, but never felt like you were just being padded for padding's sake.

<3 Deus Ex.

Creston

80. Re: Really? Jun 7, 2008, 02:04 >U

I need to find this graphics upgrade for Deus Ex peeps are talking about.

You can find it at http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/?page_id=3 but its effect is overstated at this point because it's incomplete. It's just a demo.

79. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 7, 2008, 02:01 >U

He has trouble understanding anything that doesn't come out of his own head.
No, I only have trouble understanding the useless gibberish that comes from idiots like you.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 04:25.

78. Re: Really? Jun 7, 2008, 01:59 Creston

"I have those as well, plus, a near mint condition Sierra Ultima II Apple IIe box with cloth map, 5.25 disks, manual etc.

Top that one (Only way you can is if you have one unopened or the ziplock bag of the first Ultima)
"

I'm pretty sure I still have my Commodore64 copies of River Raid and Raid Over Moscow lying around somewhere. Don't know what condition they're in though. They might have entropied into dust by now.

I need to find this graphics upgrade for Deus Ex peeps are talking about.

Creston

77. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 7, 2008, 01:52 >U

I tested those commands out. They both stick, but they don't work right for widescreen (at least 1680x1050). The crosshair and HUD are off-center (they're to the right)
Judging from your screenshot, they're not offcenter. They're in the center of the screen, but the right portion of the display is being truncated. Are you sure you used both the ResSet and FOV commands? ResSet sets the "FullscreenViewportX=" and "FullscreenViewportY=" settings in the INI file, so the effect is not any different than editing the INI file manually. Try exiting the game and relaunching it after issuing the commands.

I don't have a widescreen monitor, but both commands worked for me in both windowed mode and fullscreen mode at several resolutions that my monitor supports. For example I can run the game in 960x600 widescreen mode in a window on my monitor using those commands without a problem. Try running the game in windowed mode if the commands did not work for you in fullscreen mode.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 04:26.

76. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 7, 2008, 01:48 >U

Off the top of my head isn't it 'seta' to make it 'stick'?
Seta only makes it save in the CFG file if the CVAR is flagged to do so. Using seta instead of set in front of a CVAR won't necessarily save it (It can also vary with the particular game).

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 01:55.

75. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 7, 2008, 01:45 >U

I explained what I meant by "console commands" in the paragraphs following the part that you quoted. But you decided to ignore that
I didn't ignore it. It simply wasn't relevant. What you meant by "console commands" doesn't change the fact that what you wrote was incorrect. Those console commands don't have to be re-entered at the console. That's what autoexec.cfg is for.

Therefore, Quake 3 engine games in GameTap
It IS a moot point because we're not talking about Quake 3 games in GameTap as Deus Ex is NOT a Quake 3 engine game. What I wrote is correct for standard Quake 3 games. I don't and didn't dispute that it wouldn't work under GameTap's DRM because that is a moot point here.

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 01:58.

74. Re: THE BEST GAME EVER MADE Jun 6, 2008, 21:38 Ecthelion

Off the top of my head isn't it 'seta' to make it 'stick'?
The commands that enable widescreen support are all "seta" commands. All of the instructions I've seen say to enter the commands in a CFG file. If those commands "stuck", wouldn't it be easier to enter them from the console?

BTW, >U - I tested those commands out. They both stick, but they don't work right for widescreen (at least 1680x1050). The crosshair and HUD are off-center (they're to the right), so the view is completely screwed up. A good portion of the space to the right of the crosshair is cut off. It looks like this: http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/Dylanamus/1680x1050.jpg

The INI solution works fine though (with the Steam version or a regular retail version, that is).
This comment was edited on Jun 6, 23:50.

93 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo