Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Can somebody explain this Panasonic Toughbook Commercial to me? Like many I find the idea of a tough laptop appealing, and I have few doubts that these are, in the words of Van Halen, "the toughest around." But I do not understand the point of listing a whole bunch of desirable toughness-oriented features and saying their lawyers will not allow them to attribute any of them to their product. In the end, this results in them not making any claims whatsoever, though it certainly leaves the impressions their lawyers are pretty tough.

Tough Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Robot Run.
Link: Turn a Roomba into a Ghost Sucking PacMan. Pimp your vacuum.
Story: Dutch man injures posterior in mooning accident.
Science: NASA Scientists Make Magnetic Fields Visible, Beautiful.
Gary's Weather Forecasting Stone. Thanks Digg.
Media: When Rednecks Attack. Thanks Digg.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. No subject Jun 7, 2008, 22:01 Dev

deadgoon:
Can you say apple? You need to watch more tv shows and movies, I see far more mac computers and laptops than dell

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. No subject Jun 4, 2008, 16:08 Tigger

Can somebody explain this Panasonic Toughbook Commercial to me? Like many I find the idea of a tough laptop appealing, and I have few doubts that these are, in the words of Van Halen, "the toughest around." But I do not understand the point of listing a whole bunch of desirable toughness-oriented features and saying their lawyers will not allow them to attribute any of them to their product. In the end, this results in them not making any claims whatsoever, though it certainly leaves the impressions their lawyers are pretty tough.

I think the whole idea is to give you an idea about how they are without actually claiming it is.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

9. No subject Jun 4, 2008, 15:11 Skullguise

I have used them in some pretty rough environments in the radiation safety field. When I wanted some for a project I brought one into a supervisor and tossed it off the desk and onto the ground to prove it would work in the field. It worked fine and wasn't even damaged. They are Milspec to take a fall of 3 feet routinely and a one time drop of 10 feet onto concrete. So yeah they are pretty durable.

8. Re: They are tough... Jun 4, 2008, 13:54 DG

I just had a (very) quick look at Toughbooks spec & pricing, but my immediate impression is that unless you need it to survive some specific rough activity (wifi hunting up mountains or something) just buy a cheap one and a external backup drive.

You'd have to replace a considerably better specced Dell laptop 3/4 times before it becomes more expensive than one of those things.

7. No subject Jun 4, 2008, 13:25 xXBatmanXx

With that SR 2 story out, and the Madden coming out, and other cross platform games....I can't remember the reason or conversation that spawned it, and I am too damn lazy to look it up myself (more interested in people's opinion here I guess) - but what are the reasons for console prices being $10-$20 MORE than PC? Is it the licensing?

Real Life Brucie: http://www.scottalexander.tv/welcome.php
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. They are tough... Jun 4, 2008, 11:45 Paranoid Jack

The first model I used was about six or eight years ago. They have a slot on the side for different devices from a floppy to a test pack that we use to run line testing with. Its great since it would test for so much more than a regular Sidekick meter.

Anyway I say it's pretty tough because I would put all my climbing gear on and then sling it over my neck & shoulder before climbing up poles. The back cover which had serial numbers and such got so scratched up most of the paint and info was gone by the end of the contract when it was time to turn them back into Panasonic.

Only word of warning they say if you get rain or water on the keyboard just turn it on it's side and let it dry out. Well, give it a try but don't hold your breath.

We don't get much rain here in Cali (were I live) and even when it rains it's not a hard rain like other states I've lived in. Nine times out of ten it's just a sprinkle.

So one day I was on my last ticket and had very little time to get it done before shift ends. It started
sprinkling so I kept working in the rain for the couple of minutes it was going to take to finish up. I dried off the tough book with a paper towel figuring the keys and screen just got a sprinkling. Next day the keyboard had numerous dead keys.

The ironic thing is they lent me a co-workers Toughbook while mine was sent in for repairs. And he apparently thinks washing his hands occasionally isn't necessary. His keys looked as if they had a thin layer of greasy mud all over them. So I got a damp paper towel to wipe them off. Yeah, you guessed it. Some of his keys stopped working also.

We've upgraded the Toughbooks since then and are again due for the newer model any day now. I rarely take them up a pole these days. And the battery becomes a problem at times since they are charged two different ways. Via a docking station in the vehicle and via a wall locker over night.

I've learned to only use the docking station for charging. But on the occasion when it doesn't get enough of a charge I plug it into the wall locker power outlet. Since doing that I have far less issues with the battery not holding a proper charge.

Not sure what the Evil Empire is paying for these units since they are rentals along with a tech support package.

5. No subject Jun 4, 2008, 11:37 strich

i love a good 9 lb poundcake.

though it certainly leaves the impressions their lawyers are pretty tough.

correction, ALL lawyers are tough. it says so on tv.

----
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

4. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 11:32 xXBatmanXx

I have few doubts that these are, in the words of Van Halen, "the toughest around."

We use them here at work. They're very sturdy, but also weigh a ton. You tend to see them in movies from time to time...

They are used in a lot of squad cars - they get pounded, and also have touch screens....they are pretty "tough".

Real Life Brucie: http://www.scottalexander.tv/welcome.php
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

3. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 11:16 nin

Would you say that the toughbook is sturdier than poundcake?

The ones I used to support weighed around 9 pounds...

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 09:57 deadgoon

Would you say that the toughbook is sturdier than poundcake?

You tend to see them in movies from time to time...
Dell is the biggest manufacturing whooore (prononounced - hoo er) I've seen in movies.

P.S. - All hail Rock Band.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 09:58.

1. No subject Jun 4, 2008, 09:49 nin

I have few doubts that these are, in the words of Van Halen, "the toughest around."

We use them here at work. They're very sturdy, but also weigh a ton. You tend to see them in movies from time to time...

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo