Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Carmack on Crysis

Carmack frees Quake on GamesRadar is a Q&A with the id Software Technical Director about Quake Live, id's upcoming free shooter (thanks Voodoo Extreme). Along the way he offers thoughts on Crysis, expressing an interesting perspective from someone who has spent so much time exploring the cutting edge of game engine technology:

Obviously, we have examples like World of Warcraft that show how the PC can be viable and vibrant in its own way. But in terms of first-person shooters, if you look at something like Crysis and say thatís the height of what the PC market can manage, I donít think thatís necessarily that exciting of a direction for the PC to be going in the future. With Quake Live, we hope that thereís an opportunity for people whoíve never played shooters to give this a try, and with that, the potential of actually growing the PC gaming market. I still have a lot of a faith in simple gameplay formulas - it might not be the game that everyone plays for three hours a day to be the best at, but itís something that offices, dorms, and schools across America can have fun with.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

8. No subject Jun 4, 2008, 00:09 jason_deluxe

John Carmack hasn't mattered in over a decade. Moving on.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 00:10.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 00:07 verybad

The only thing that's interesting in idtech 5 is the consolidation of textures onto a large file, the results in the tech 5 movies so far aren't any more impressive looking than Crysis' imagery, maybe less so.

6. No subject Jun 4, 2008, 00:02 sponge

Call me a fanboy (what forum would this be if someone didn't) but the workflow improvements that id Tech 5 are trying to deliver is a whole lot more exciting than a bunch of DX10 shaders in Crysis.

5. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2008, 23:54 Joss

GTA4 + Crysis + ArmA = the GAME

Someone needs to bring it.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 23:55.

4. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2008, 23:50 maldoror

Crysis was shit, Carmack is essentially right. However he is pretty much irrelevant in todays pc game market and not the legend he once was, go design a nintendo DS game or something. Valve is the new ID.

3. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2008, 23:38 D-Rock

carmack is jealous - the crysis engine has antiquated his own work. carmack was never able to pull off an all purpose engine , capable of both indoor and large outdoor environments.

I doubt it -- his engine work hasn't really been that significant in quite some time. Sure, he did cool things with lighting and the most recent production engine ended up being the backbone of Quake Wars, but it's certainly not the most popular engine -- for some good reasons.

To me it's clear that he's aware of this and it sounds like he's one step ahead of where the industry is going. Why do I say this? Because the Crysis engine, as advanced as it may be, is difficult to consider "significant" as well. It does some nice technical things, but that's not enough for the average PC gamer. Yeah, the PC may not be as popular as the console, but we're sick of pretty graphics and yearn for an innovative game that gets back to the basics.

Where are all the games that use the CryENGINE2? Where are the Crysis mods that people can't get enough of?

Game engine complexity and innovation just can't be developed fast enough to deliver the "wow" factor that the old quake engines once delivered. The average PC gamer is smart enough to realize this and will be more discriminating in how he/she spends his/her money. Nobody cares about pretty anymore. Long live gameplay.

D-Rock

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 23:39.

2. Eh? Jun 3, 2008, 23:18 JohnBirshire

I'm disappointed, I thought Carmack was above taking crack shots at other developers and their games. Making a subtle crack at somebody elses game, and then turning around and plugging your own game after words is classic lame.

I'm glad that they are making Quake Live to "turn the PC in a new exciting direction" however. Must have a lot of expectations for this free budget game.

1. No subject Jun 3, 2008, 23:12 tuddies

carmack is jealous - the crysis engine has antiquated his own work. carmack was never able to pull off an all purpose engine , capable of both indoor and large outdoor environments.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo