Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Carmack on Crysis

Carmack frees Quake on GamesRadar is a Q&A with the id Software Technical Director about Quake Live, id's upcoming free shooter (thanks Voodoo Extreme). Along the way he offers thoughts on Crysis, expressing an interesting perspective from someone who has spent so much time exploring the cutting edge of game engine technology:

Obviously, we have examples like World of Warcraft that show how the PC can be viable and vibrant in its own way. But in terms of first-person shooters, if you look at something like Crysis and say thatís the height of what the PC market can manage, I donít think thatís necessarily that exciting of a direction for the PC to be going in the future. With Quake Live, we hope that thereís an opportunity for people whoíve never played shooters to give this a try, and with that, the potential of actually growing the PC gaming market. I still have a lot of a faith in simple gameplay formulas - it might not be the game that everyone plays for three hours a day to be the best at, but itís something that offices, dorms, and schools across America can have fun with.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 05:41 CJ_Parker

How much will you pay for Vista alone? And since when has Crysis supported DX9? If that were the case, people could run it in XP, couldn't they?

And the award for "Most Clueless Retarded Dumbass of the Day" goes to...

-= WILSON =-

Congrats, man. You really earned this one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 05:34 InBlack

Exactly my point WW3

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 05:03 World war 3

And to blatantly state that the Crysis engine is superiour to tech5 is so uninformed its not even funny.
From what I've seen of tech5, there's no way to tell if it's superior to Crysis. This means exactly that: the demo could have been compiled so fast and released in such a crappy format that the details that were there couldn't be seen. It is a bit sad because Crysis has now been out for, what a year? And Rage isn't anywhere near to being released.

_______________________ __ _

Ľ http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net ę Updated April 17th 2009
_______________________ __ _

25. No subject Jun 4, 2008, 04:45 Tanto Edge

CryTek has always claimed that they are doing things nobody has ever done before.
Maybe they are, but if I fuck a fat whore and get VD, then brag that nobody else has done it, does that mean I win?
Not quite, eh?

Am I saying Crysis was crap? No! I bought into the hype and purchased a copy of the game.
Biggest waste of my money, ever.

The engine may be neat, but so was the Serious engine, and look how far that went. The Payne engine, the Painkiller engine, etc...
There's a Really long list of engines that have done all sorts of nifty shit, but frankly it's not about feature creep.
It's about stability and Crysis is still a resource hog, and mismanager of onscreen elements, and just overly complex.

It's capable of things that consumer grade computers have trouble with. Great, the mark of a quality engine? Not quite, but it's neat, right?
Lot's of cool stuff is good.

Unfortunately, Crysis didn't have a lot of cool stuff. In fact, it had very little to No cool stuff that we hadn't already experienced from CryTek in Far Cry.

Y'know something, someone should just tell them to stop with the whole CryThis and CryThat shtick.
Grow up and develop a proper game, rather than a fast track tech demo to show off an engine that nobody has a use for.

Edit: It's true, the new Carmack engine is absolutley wild for its capabilities. Carmack codes engines that are so goddamned scalable, I was running Q3A on machines well below the minimum specs and it was Smooth!
How is that possible? Quality code? Quality design? Quality from Carmack.
Don't ever second guess this man, there's a reason he commands the amount of respect in the industry... and drives a fucking Ferrari.

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 04:47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

24. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 04:32 InBlack

Some of the comments here are so retarded they made me slightly queasy. Dont get me wrong Im not a fanboi of id but to actually say that John Carmack is a decade behind PC Gaming.....LOL!

Wtf? I think someone confused John Carmack and John Romero here.

Comon people how many of you have written engines year after year for games that have sold millions of copies??

This is the person that ATI and Nvidia have depended upon for years for advice on how to write drivers for their architecture!

And to blatantly state that the Crysis engine is superiour to tech5 is so uninformed its not even funny.

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 04:21 Dante_uk

Carmack is far from past it and I agree with his comments.
The Crysis point is valid, I played it ( on XP ) and enjoyed as a SP game, but with a day or two of completing it it was forgotten.
I still drive into Quake3 either from my old Linux machine or my much newer XP/Linux machine for an hour of DM action.

Quake Live will continue that and enable me to have a little lunch time or 5pm action from work too. Cool.

No way my work machines or my old Linux machine could run Crysis!

currently my fav game is ETQW I think the graphics are pretty good - megatexture for me is cool - being able to play from Linux 64bit or Windows XP is much more useful though.

As to Valve being the new id : HL2 was another play and forget for me, some cool ideas, engine and graphics were okay, nothing to rave about. I hate Steam so since I built my new machine I haven't bothered installing it again.

22. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 03:24 Prez

It's not Vista exclusive.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 02:59 Kosumo

And since when has Crysis supported DX9? If that were the case, people could run it in XP, couldn't they?

I've played the demo on XP, I beleive the whole game runs on dx9 if you choose to do so, I've never herd that it is Vista only? Are you sure what you're on about? (Not trying to be a prick but that is what you thought?)

20. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 02:46 LFace

Erm, it can run in DX9 on XP.. thats how I played it and found it to be a bag of shit..

19. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 02:42 Jerykk

What's this nonsense about Crysis not being accessible to noobs? It has hitscan, rapid fire weapons, slow-moving enemies and overall slow movement speed. Quake is a much, much harder game to play given its crazy speed and acrobatics. It requires both pin-point accuracy (for the railgun and lightning gun) and compensated aim (for the rocket launcher and grenade launcher), in addition to an intimate understanding of a map's layout, power-up locations and respawn timers.

Crysis would actually be playable on a console. Quake would not (and yes, I know all the Quake games were ported; they didn't work).

18. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 02:39 Wilson

How much will you pay for Vista alone? And since when has Crysis supported DX9? If that were the case, people could run it in XP, couldn't they?

17. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 02:23 noman

The $2000PC myth has to be the new "but you can't see more than 30fps" kind of things that are taken as the truth on internet just because people keep repeating them.

A $600 PC (sans monitor) can run Crysis at near 30 fps at 1680x1050 in DX9 high settings. That's assuming the PC is built from scratch. The same PC can run DX10 mode at 20-22 fps at the same resolution.

Hardware is incredibly cheap these days. Best Buy is selling HD3870 overclocked for $130 this week. 8800GT sales ($140-150) routinely crop up at different places. 2GB DDR2 is about $20-25 and a dual-core CPU with motherboard costs only about $100-150.

16. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 02:20 Beaner

Carmack had his day, but I agree with a lot of you he's somewhat kidding himself. Crysis graphics wise showed up his engine megatextures and all.

15. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 01:55 Flo

Crysis might look superior but at the price of a 2000$ rig. All the engines Carmack produced were rather optimized at the time of release. I'm looking forward to playing Quake live, if just for old times' sake.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

14. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 01:41 CreamyBlood

I'm all for being able to play a quick pick me up game of Q3 anytime and anywhere. If even a few more casual gamers got into FPS's it would be worth it, or at least increase the amount of Q3 people to play against.

I still play on occasion but I can't compete with the rail gun whores anymore, or maybe I could if I played often enough. I loved Q3 at the time and all it's varients and time hasn't killed that.

I think this is a cool experiment for them but I don't think this is what they're betting the bank on. If it works, we all win, if it doesn't, they lose a bit of time, energy and effort and maybe a bit of money.

As to Crysis, it's really hard to read much into what he said:

But in terms of first-person shooters, if you look at something like Crysis and say thatís the height of what the PC market can manage, I donít think thatís necessarily that exciting of a direction for the PC to be going in the future.

Within context, maybe he's alluding to the fact that nobody has the hardware to play it, or it's too complicated (I've only played a couple of hours of it so I don't know) or that it's not 'accessable' to enough people.

It's difficult to really get any concrete meaning out of that statement but I'm sure we'll hear a few pages of rampant speculation.

13. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 01:28 D-Rock

While Carmack may not be one of "the" current innovators or technology leaders in the industry, he has proven to be one in the past. Because of this, he has gained a great deal of wisdom and I would go so far as to say that he could be considered one of the "elders" of the industry (think Nolan Bushnell). We may never see an industry changing concept from him again, but he will continue to be a driving force.

Given the popularity / accessibility of "casual" gaming, I'd say he's spot on as far as his predictions go. In order for the PC gaming industry to thrive, it will have to become as accessible as possible. This is one of the reasons for the success of today's console.

I could be dead wrong, however -- I'm just an armchair analyst.

D-Rock

12. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 01:12 Prez

I don't think John was bashing Crysis;it sounded more like that to him it epitomizes the direction PC Gaming in general is headed, and it's the wrong direction in his opinion. I tend to agree.  

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. No subject Jun 4, 2008, 01:02 Hyatus

I dunno. With the recent bs about no more patches for Crysis, I think anyone should be open to bashing them.

And sure he plugs his game. Welcome to business 101.

He's absolutely right, though. Crysis is a game for hardcore players. It isn't remotely accessible to noobs.

And how many people played through Crysis and then uninstalled it? It's not a lasting game. The first three Quake games are lasting.

I think I'm fine with him speaking up given these points.

10. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 00:50 manic half

carmack is jealous - the crysis engine has antiquated his own work. carmack was never able to pull off an all purpose engine , capable of both indoor and large outdoor environments.

id Tech 5. welcome to last year.

9. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 00:48 manic half

John Carmack hasn't mattered in over a decade. Moving on.

*yawn*

if your going to be a troll, for the love of entertainment, put some effort into it.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo