Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Free Fallout & More on GameTap

GameTap announces an expansion of their distribution deal with Interplay that will bring Fallout, Descent, and MDK to the free-to-play area of their game portal:

ATLANTA – June 2, 2008 – GameTap, the first-of-its-kind broadband entertainment network from Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (TBS, Inc.), announced today an expanded partnership with Interplay Entertainment Corp. (OTC BB: IPLY) that now includes multi-year worldwide rights for the company’s titles to be available for digital download in its online store and for subscription play. Under the new agreement, Interplay titles will also be made available for free play on GameTap’s ad-supported website www.gametap.com.

“Interplay has been and continues to be a great partner of GameTap,” said Ricardo Sanchez, vice president of content and creative director for GameTap. “By expanding on our previous deal, GameTap will now feature more of Interplay’s top titles including their widely successful Fallout titles.”

As part of this expansive agreement, GameTap will now feature additional Interplay titles, including the critically acclaimed Fallout, Descent and MDK. New and previously featured titles, such as the Earthworm Jim series, will be added to the subscription service, GameTap’s ad-supported website, and also sold in GameTap’s online digital retail storefront.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Inter-esting Jun 3, 2008, 22:47 Kxmode

Interplay's OTC stock symbol looks like ORLY

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: GameTap Jun 3, 2008, 22:30 Jerykk

LARA. LARA Croft.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 22:31.

17. Re: GameTap Jun 3, 2008, 22:08 CreamyBlood

I installed Gametap to play the one of the free Laura Croft games last winter. I found it straight forward and non-invasive. I guess they have free runs of games for several weeks at a time.

I also ended up trying a few other free games while I was at it. I've never tried the subscription service but I liked the fact that it doesn't sit in your tray and suck up resources and that the games that I tried downloaded and installed and played flawlessly.

I'd suggest trying the free version to get the feel of it.

16. No subject Jun 3, 2008, 14:06 Dev

Ecthelion:
Probably because the d3d wrapper mod is not his, but someone elses's and he mainly includes it to fix the encounter rate (in retail FO2 it depends on CPU speed I think).

However when you install his mod, and examine the .ini for the d3d wrapper you find these things
Here's a random comment I found that lists some of them:
"Other benefits of sfall includes custom resolutions, scale filters, tweaks for encounter rate, world map travel time, removal of the 13 year game time limit. "

http://timeslip.chorrol.com/sfall.html
Thats the link for the d3d wrapper mod site, but you don't find out what it can do until you start reading the comments in the ini file. It can also run FO2 in a window, which is quite handy.
Here's the discussion thread on it:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38116

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 14:59.

15. Re: GameTap Jun 3, 2008, 13:57 Deathbishop

Baldur's Gate (or Baldur's Gate 2 for that matter) were never removed from the service. There were a number of titles that were though (some EA stuff like Ultima for example). The bitching was due to them just taking it away without telling the subscribers (which they say will not happen again).

It's a nice service and for only 10 bucks, I don't see how people don't see it as a bargin. Yea, you don't 'technically' own the game because once you stop subscribing to Gametap, there go the games but again for the price to play upwards of almost 1000 title spanning multiple platforms, I think it's a good deal. They've made alot of older titles work with Windows XP and some are just classics.

Deus Ex
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Planetscape Torment
Beyond Good and Evil
Civilization IV
Pirates
Alpha Centauri
Far Cry

It aint Steam, but I don't think that's what it's trying to be. It's a subscription service.

14. Re: Excellent! Jun 3, 2008, 09:39 manic half

from what i understand you 'rent' the games from gametap. whereas i own my copy of diablo 2 (only chose that as its the first box i saw when i looked) and can install it anytime i want, apparently with gametap if they shut up shop tomorrow you can no longer access anything.

again, thats how it was explained to me. if im wrong please do correct me.

also interplay, get with it and release your games on steam. you would make much monies!

13. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2008, 09:20 nin

(Once again) Interplay, when are you going to sell your stuff on Steam?

------------------------------------------------
http://theslip.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2008, 08:25 Ecthelion

The mod comes with a d3d wrapper that lets you play in pretty much any resolution, as well as some other neat things.
Seriously? That's pretty cool. I wonder why it's not listed in the features readme on the site?

11. No subject Jun 3, 2008, 06:12 Dev

Asmodai:
I've been playing fallout2 happily on my XP system. It also installed fine from retail cds.

Make sure to check out the fo2 restoration mod:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40590
This guy spent years adding stuff back in that the devs didn't have time to finish but left pieces in (like you can finally rescue sulik's sister from the slavers).

Or if you prefer the 100% original experiance, he also has a giant patch fix that fixes HUNDREDS of bugs with the original FO2 that the devs never patches.

The mod comes with a d3d wrapper that lets you play in pretty much any resolution, as well as some other neat things.

I've run FO2 fine with the mod, and fine vanilla official patched install from retail cds on windows XP SP2, so not sure what probs you are having...

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 06:13.

10. Re: GameTap Jun 3, 2008, 02:46 Flo

So when exactly is Fallout gonna appear on GameTap? Can't see it yet.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

9. GameTap Jun 3, 2008, 00:01 Ecthelion

Apparently some of the games aren't patched to the latest version, but they're mostly older games I think. Unfortunately, they don't guarantee that games will be there for a certain length of time. There was a "cull" a while back where they removed several RPGs (such as Baldur's Gate) and Freespace 2, among others. I joined right before this, so it was weird to see those games there one day and gone the next. It's a decent service if you look at it as a subscription. I'm not sure how anyone would come close to having enough time to play even a fraction of all the games available though.

Oh, and as for Fallout... I recently installed Fallout 2 on WinXP and didn't have any problems.

8. Re: Does anybody here use gametap? Jun 2, 2008, 23:36 AndrewRF

I'm subscribed and have been pretty happy with it. It's not very expensive and they've got a reasonable selection of titles. As long as you have a stable internet connection, it's a pretty smooth experience. I haven't run into any compatibility problems with WinXP although, as mentioned, some games may have advanced settings that aren't available because they aren't configured via an in-game menu.  
--
./a.out

7. Re: Excellent! Jun 2, 2008, 23:33 Riker

Free Deus Ex and Fallout? For you suckers that haven't tried them :P, those are 2 of the best games ever made, so get on it!

6. Re: Does anybody here use gametap? Jun 2, 2008, 23:13 Asmodai

Are the games updated to be functional with Vista/XP? Last time I checked, I can't install my original Fallout or Fallout 2 to either OS.

It would be nice to enjoy some retro action but older games are getting harder to run on newer OS's. I'm waiting for virtualisation to be perfected so that hardware can be emulated correctly, at which point I'll build a 98 virt PC to play games on.

5. Re: Does anybody here use gametap? Jun 2, 2008, 21:58 Krovven

Install it and poke around. You don't have to pay the subscription to use it. It's got lots of free to play games.

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

4. Re: Does anybody here use gametap? Jun 2, 2008, 21:57 MachineMk2

Creston, apparently, yes. I just joined (I am a sucker for a bunch of the games I found on there...Tropico...how I love thee).

3. Does anybody here use gametap? Jun 2, 2008, 21:43 Creston

If so, can you tell me something about it? Is it worth it, can you play games as long as you like, etc?

I think I may subscribe.

Creston

2. No subject Jun 2, 2008, 21:42 Ecthelion

It's a shame GameTap wasn't able to (or was too lazy to figure out how to) expose the configuration files of its games without opening the system to piracy. For example, Deus Ex can be played in widescreen with a simple INI edit, which is unfortunately impossible with the GameTap version.

1. Excellent! Jun 2, 2008, 20:34 Krovven

...and Dues Ex is free to play on GameTap starting this week if I'm not mistaken.

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo