Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare PC DLC Coming

The Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare content that was released as paid-for DLC for the console editons of Infinity Ward's military shooter sequel is headed to PCs as a free download, thanks to a sponsorship by NVIDIA. PC Games has word, in their native German, on the plan, saying the release is expected on June 5, along with a new version 1.6 update for the PC edition.

View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

75. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2008, 05:31 manic half

I'd personally say Quake Wars, but that's just me. I think the game is great.

second.

i partly wish the upgrades in ETQW were persistant. but it still works as is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. No subject Jun 3, 2008, 17:25 loomy

> what is a better online game for depth, shooting skill and fun?

I cant give you an honest and accurate answer because I haven't played quake wars recently enough. the game isn't bad though, at least on the demo map.

73. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2008, 10:23 InBlack

Way to go NVIDIA, I gotta admit, havent fired up COD4 multi, since AoC came out, but now that this is coming for free I might give it a spin or two again

I have a nifty blue line!

72. No subject Jun 2, 2008, 04:21 Tanto Edge

Holy crap, this thread flew!
To put it shortly, I have also built levels for games since Wolf and yes, content development is a thousand times more complicated these days.
It used to be a texture, now it's four maps (usually two at least).
True you can automate your tasks (make a specular by gray scaling an existing image) but this cheapens the final product.
So, sufficed to say, the best mapper is an accomplished modeler who enjoys scripting architectural visualizations.
These days, levels are intense.
You never had to worry about matching a bunch of physics calculations together, and while scripts can help, sometimes (as we've seen in games not playtested enough) the effects just don't work out!

Level design initself, or the flow of a level, hasn't really changed. No reason, right? We've made All sorts of levels, but the complexity for the visual depth, has reached new heights and horizons.

Thank god for CrazyBump, and Photoshop batch jobs... otherwise, a level designer would never make it through all the texture production.

Throughout my little tirade, I never once mentioned models. Making dozens of static meshes for your map takes a few weeks of serious labor. You can build your meshes in the editors of many games, but this is Never as well-detailed as if you had imported a static mesh, or dynamic mesh...

Anyhow, just wanted to state that... and how thank I am that the video card company saw fit to do this for us.
Thanks nVidia!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

71. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 22:23 Prez

I'd personally say Quake Wars, but that's just me. I think the game is great.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

70. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 21:15 CreamyBlood

quake wars is only okay not because it is too hardcore, but because it is only okay

Just out of curiosity and because I don't know any better, what is a better online game for depth, shooting skill and fun?

I'm not talking about simplistic CTF types of games, but some objective based class style games with a good fun factor.

69. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 20:12 Parallax Abstraction

I just wanted to point out here that they've released 5 patches for the PC version since the game came out. The 6th will be out with the new maps. I would hardly call that "not supporting it."

My statement about not supporting games and blaming it on piracy was more a general statement about most PC developers, not necessarily CoD4. As most PC games go, I'd agree that it's been pretty well supported, very much unlike CoD2. Also, as I understand it, most of what is coming in the 1.6 patch was promised to be free quite a while ago and they said that 1.6 was "in final testing" in what, January?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

68. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 16:21 Nuclear Watchdog

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 1, 17:44.

================================================
"Whattadya wanna hear, that I'm your bitch? Fine. You came in
here, took it to me, and now I'm your bitch. Happy now?" - Creston

67. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 16:13 Kedyn

Eh, I wasn't especially impressed with CoD4. Highly linear, highly scripted, respawning enemies, generic story, same old stuff I saw in the first two games. I honestly thought Crysis was a better game. At least it was more dynamic.

CoD4 had a good story and great multiplayer, IMO. Probably some of the best multiplayer to come out in the past year, if you don't run into a hacker or something. I really enjoyed Crysis too (especially with my new 8800) but I never touched its multiplayer.

66. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 15:15 Kash

they had to release it, or somebody else would have just modded the quake3 editor to make it compatible. as that is all it's running on.

Yeah. Just like HL2 and TF2 are still running on Quake 1, right?

65. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 15:12 Kash

Of course, all of these people got their informed opinions after buying a legitimate copy...

Yeah, like the guy who said (paraphrased, obviously) "Still no coop? Still no sale. I sure did like the single player, though."

64. No subject Jun 1, 2008, 15:10 :o

No, dumbass. I'm sure most people know it's theft and think of it as such. Even if they don't, ignorance is not a justificaton for breaking the law, and never has been. The problem is, most people think they can get away with it, and they're probably right. Until people are held accountable for their actions, expect this behavior to continue, and increase. Most people don't think it's stealing, yeah, that's what it is. Idiot...

Grow up you god-awful child.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 15:11.

63. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 15:10 Kash

If they are sick of how the PC community is being with their products, then they should stop making a PC version rather than making one and not supporting it.

I just wanted to point out here that they've released 5 patches for the PC version since the game came out. The 6th will be out with the new maps. I would hardly call that "not supporting it."

62. No subject Jun 1, 2008, 15:08 :o

Punishing those of us who bought the game because of that is stupid.

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where the developers are able to punish people by denying them freebies.

61. Re: I wouldn't give you buggers free con Jun 1, 2008, 14:55 Nuclear Watchdog

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 1, 15:51.

================================================
"Whattadya wanna hear, that I'm your bitch? Fine. You came in
here, took it to me, and now I'm your bitch. Happy now?" - Creston

60. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 14:50 Parallax Abstraction

Games manufacturers are crying out about lost revenue through theft, and what's the community's response? Is it one of support? Is it fuck.

Game developers are whining because of lost revenue and claiming its theft without any conclusive evidence because they can't admit that maybe, just maybe they made a game no one wanted. Crytek made a game that they continually marketed for its amazing visual, convincing people they couldn't run it on anything less than a state of the art machine but because a torrent exists for it (as it does for everything, piracy is obviously the reason why it didn't sell as well as they wanted. UT3 was a lousy console port and their demo made that obvious before release but again, piracy is why it failed on PC.

Are a lot of people playing CoD4 online without buying it? I'm sure. Are they scum? Absolutely. Are the majority stealing it? They have no way of knowing. Punishing those of us who bought the game because of that is stupid. If they are sick of how the PC community is being with their products, then they should stop making a PC version rather than making one and not supporting it.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

59. No subject Jun 1, 2008, 14:28 :o

Source? That's what I thought. Fu b, fu...

Call it an educated guess based on the obscenely childish views and behaviour demonstrated in this thread alone.

Games manufacturers are crying out about lost revenue through theft, and what's the community's response? Is it one of support? Is it fuck.

The most common retort you'll see is 'shut up whinging you should have made a better game'.

Of course, all of these people got their informed opinions after buying a legitimate copy...

58. Re: I wouldn't give you buggers free con Jun 1, 2008, 14:10 :o

Well, obviously not them...

But still, far too many people seriously don't think of downloading a game as theft.

It's a valid problem because if I happen to think that it's wrong, and it's theft; and that PC gaming will go to shit if it keeps happening; and yet I've downloaded games in the past, what's gonna stop people who don't even have such a consideration?

57. No subject Jun 1, 2008, 14:06 loomy

quake wars is only okay not because it is too hardcore, but because it is only okay

try that on for size

56. Re: I wouldn't give you buggers free content Jun 1, 2008, 13:59 4D-Boxing

but the majority of people who played call of duty 4 would have stolen it.

lol..Really.. the majority of people who play CoD4 PC online stole the game?!

yes there is alot of pirating going out there but the people who made the game could have helped themselves as well. Look at how stats are handled in other games & see where CoD4 could have added another level of protection....anyways it's all been said before.

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo