Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve on PC Gaming

Valve Steps Up, Defends PC Gaming on IGN is an extensive article based on an interview with Valve honcho Gabe Newell, focusing on the state of PC gaming. Valve remains steadfastly positive about the platform, with Newell again pointing out that digital distribution and MMOG subscription fees are not accurately reflected in NPD statistics. The article concludes with an interesting perspective on the PC Gaming Alliance:

So when will people start to take notice of what's happening with PC gaming? Might it have anything to do with the PC Gaming Alliance? "We're still waiting to see concretely what's going to come out of the Gaming Alliance," said Newell. "We really believe in shipping products as one of the best ways to move stuff forward. I think Wrath of the Lich King [the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion] shipping will have a larger impact moving the PC forward as a gaming platform than companies sending representative together to all agree that PC gaming should be doing better."

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 19:01 Wowbagger_TIP

No, it did not. That is one of his points. There is a lot of revenue not being counted by those totals.
Industry revenue is not calculated based on game revenue numbers, but by total revenues reported by the corporations, so it has nothing to do with the problem of under-reporting of game sales figures.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 16:36 Ray Marden

I do not think PC gaming is dead, but I would not say it is healthy. What major advancements or improvements has it made in the last few years? There is a ton of niche crap, but on the whole, things just got prettier. Further, I have real problems with the hardware and operating system sides of the equation. These, too, have been lacking in any big innovation and often just fall back on brute force to bring about any "improvement."

Though I do still prefer gaming on the PC for the relative maturity, diversity, and configuration options that are generally available, few (if any) recent games have absolutely amazed me. Some of this is unfair as I was alive for the "birth" of the major PC gaming movement (in general, no following games in any genre will have the same amazement factor as the very first time you ever played a new type of game,) but I do think there have been fewer groundbreaking, amazing titles. I do think the overall quality level has been improved (the average or even crap games are better than the average or crap games of years ago,) but I am mildly disillusioned with the current gaming prospects. There are some games that I still enjoy, but they are fewer and farther between - like many others, playing World of Warcraft now consumes the majority of my PC playing time.

Meanwhile, I do not think the PC market is as "healthy" as companies like Valve or Blizzard may think. There are various aspects to this, but the main one is their strong resistance to market downturns due to the grip they have on the market. In both cases, they have popular games that you can play against human players for extremely long periods of time for little to no cost. Additionally, their current demand insulates them from perception of weakness. It is akin to the American consumer of sorts; many people are being affected by a slow or recessive market, yet the petroleum suppliers are experiencing record-setting profits.

I'm not trying to get into the expensive petroleum debates, but you cannot always use localized numbers to express things are great industry-wide.

Additionally, the PC market feels like it is in transition (dropping or favoring of certain genres, MMOGs, digital downloads, etc.) It is hard for me to get excited about, much less support, the future of PC gaming when the market itself is not sure where it is headed.
I'd like to see $30 games, cheaper hardware, and profound innovations.
Edit: This is not limited to any moments of strenght or weakness, but the overall PC market stll SUCKS OUTRIGHT at making itself friendly to consumers. And I am not asking for things to be dumbed down outright, but I do see why it is hard for a layman to understand all the standards, configurations, variations, and so forth of the open market. A small amount of organization would work wonders for the market.

Rambling as usual,
Ray

-----
I'm looking for some alien toilet to park my bricks; who's first?
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on May 31, 16:40.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

15. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 15:49 Enahs

Considering the industry as a whole made $18 billion as a whole in 2007.

No, it did not. That is one of his points. There is a lot of revenue not being counted by those totals.

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

14. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 14:01 Nuclear Watchdog

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 31, 14:54.

================================================
"Whattadya wanna hear, that I'm your bitch? Fine. You came in
here, took it to me, and now I'm your bitch. Happy now?" - Creston

13. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 12:35 Fion

Stop stating that WoW makes big money from subscriptions I'm sick of hearing about it! WoW monthly charges is not helping PC gaming in the least bit.

Well it won't stop. WoW's parent company made $1 billion off of just WoW last year. Considering the industry as a whole made $18 billion as a whole in 2007. WoW is a VERY sizable chunk of that money. And it is a PC only venture. So your not going to stop hearing about it any time soon.

12. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 11:44 Umbragen

many quality pc only games disagree with you. get used to it.

If there were MANY PC only games, I would!!

11. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 07:54 WaltC

I wish there was a Non-MMO example developers could use when proclaiming PC gaming is alive and well. Sins and the Witcher aside, it seems like only MMO's get the love anymore. Which sucks for me; I hate MMO's with a passion and would never play one.

That's an interesting statement considering the source of the article you just presumably read is Valve--so which MMO of Valve's is it that you think Newell is talking about when he tells you over and over again how much success Valve is getting from the PC gaming market?

The point to talking about MMOs and the like, which for some strange reason seems to escape a few people, is that the latest NPD numbers--which are being wrongly interpreted by some people--paint a portrait of PC gaming in decline simply because those numbers assume that the only way that people game on the PC is through buying boxed software in retail outlets, and that the only income developers can expect from creating PC software comes from sales of boxed software in retail stores.

The people who are successful in PC gaming are of course stepping up to illustrate why the NPD numbers are *incomplete* and therefore can't be used as "the last word" on the subject. It's pretty simple--really. These people have also revealed the source of most of the "PC gaming is dying" sentiment: it's coming from the PR departments of the console companies, who's job it is to try and generate publicity that will get more people buying consoles.

Personally, I don't own a console and never will, and the few PC ports of console games I've looked at over the years--the ones that were not dramatically rewritten for the PC environment--have been absolutely horrible to play next to what I'm used in terms of decent PC games. There's just no way I'm moving from a diet of steak and caviar to cheeseburgers and fries...;)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

10. Re: STEAM May 31, 2008, 06:07 Beaner

I love Valve. Console games are getting better but they have limitations and the controls in a PC game verusus the console variant is always so much more extensive. Also I couldnt get into console FPS games until they give us full keyboard and mouse support. There is no way I will play a "good" FPS with a joystick.

This comment was edited on May 31, 06:08.

9. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 05:28 manic half

MMO's and console ports will be the order of the day, get used to it.

many quality pc only games disagree with you. get used to it.

8. No subject May 31, 2008, 01:47 Umbragen

A fortune in monthly fees being funneled to one company and one developer successfully prioritizing the PC platform does NOT indicate a healthy market, just the opposite in fact. Besides no one is saying the PC is dying as a gaming platform, the hardware manufacturers will never let that happen. But anyone that says the PC hasn't been relegated to second (or third) tier status by developers and producers is either deluded or a liar. MMO's and console ports will be the order of the day, get used to it. It may even be enough to justify the costs of the machine; and there is alway the occasional triple A PC title. Just how often does Valve release a new game?

7. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 01:12 Jerykk

As long as people need a PC to play their MMO of choice properly, there will be a market there for other games to be sold to.

I'd argue the opposite. When a customer plays an MMO, he has less incentive to try other games. Just look at WoW. How many WoW players actually play anything aside from WoW?

6. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 00:58 MuzixMon

I hear you PREZ I'm the same way!  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

5. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 00:11 NKD

Like it or not, MMOs are going to be what keeps people making PC games in the near term.

As long as people need a PC to play their MMO of choice properly, there will be a market there for other games to be sold to.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

4. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 00:07 Prez

I wish there was a Non-MMO example developers could use when proclaiming PC gaming is alive and well. Sins and the Witcher aside, it seems like only MMO's get the love anymore. Which sucks for me; I hate MMO's with a passion and would never play one.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

3. No subject May 30, 2008, 21:27 heroin

When developer's begin pointing out that hidden sales (or subscriptions) would verify that the PC is going strong - we're in deep trouble. This sends the wrong message to company execs and greedy investors. "Yay! Let's create some generic shitty MMO's and charge subs - we'll be swimming in loot!"

I hate subscriptions - yeah, they've gotta pay for the servers. I still pay the WoW fee (after 2.5 years) - but I honestly think a subscription for any video game above $5 a month is just silly. And after spending hundreds of dollars on WoW - a developer is going to have to come up with a very different & innovative MMO experience for me to dare to begin paying a sub to play it. That includes you AOC!

2. Re: STEAM May 30, 2008, 21:03 Trashy

Well they never seem to link real sales figures from steam, This article been thrown around a lot.

I tend to believe it, no one I know wants the Console version of Orange box and the guy at my local Gamestop says he only sold a half dozen copies of the it for the 360 and hasn't seen anyone get the PS3 version.. Not that I live in the biggest community.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/02/21/gdc_will_steam_add_movies_music/

Doug Lombari: We were very happy with both the Xbox 360 and PS3 sales. I think the Xbox 360 version did just over a million, while the PS3 [released later in December] version did a few hundred thousand copies. So I think when all is said and done, The Orange Box will have sold about 1.5 million copies on the console, which is great. But the game's PC sales were much stronger.

Rob Wright: How much stronger, exactly?

Doug Lombari: I'd say significantly stronger, at least a two-digit percentage increase over the console sales. And that includes Steam sales, retail sales, and now individual sales of Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Half-Life 2: Episode 2. So when you take the PC numbers for The Orange Box a la carte, they're significantly higher.

1. STEAM May 30, 2008, 20:46 MuzixMon

If STEAM is doing so well why the hell won't they give some indication to the genral public just how well it's doing by posting some sales figures. If they showed Orange box sold better on PC than the consoles that would be HUGE news, that's if it's true of course.

Stop stating that WoW makes big money from subscriptions I'm sick of hearing about it! WoW monthly charges is not helping PC gaming in the least bit.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo