Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well, I guess these are allergies I've been suffering these past few days, I took Zyrtec, an OTC antihistamine, which cleared up my scratchy nose and throat, as well as my itchy eyes (I hadn't really noticed that, but that was another obvious allergy symptom). The bad news is this knocked me out for a while and made me good and light-headed after I regained consciousness; it seems I missed the drowsiness warnings on the label. In a strange twist, this medicine currently has an ad campaign bragging that their product acts so quickly it's like getting "time in a bottle" compared to their competition, but I think if you have to spend that extra time in a stupor, it's probably a net loss.

By the way. have you seen that TV commercial? It has the oddest approach to avoiding licensing fees I've ever noticed. It starts out saying: "You know that song Time in a Bottle?" But they never actually play the song. I wonder if this is a harbinger of a new trend... you could even do this with celebrities by having someone say: "Do you know that actress Angelina Jolie?", without her actually appearing or endorsing the product.

Links in a Bottle: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Spellblazer.
Moss 2.
Stories: National Space Society Looking For A Space Ambassador To Fly On Virgin Galactic. Thanks Gizmodo.
The Scoop on Fattening Ice Cream Flavors.
Japan woman lived in man's closet.
Science: Formula 'secret of perfect voice'.
Bond gadgets: Never say they will never work. Thanks Digg.
NASA picks “bargain basement” space technology candidates.
Follow-up: Toilet trouble fix loaded onto space shuttle. NASA flushed with success.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. DO NOT DRINK AND TAKE PILLS! Jun 1, 2008, 04:57 shul

Word to the wise: do not drink and take antihistamines. I wouldn't recommend it. My GF said "she is tripping like on LSD" that evening..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. I am a Registered Nurse, but.... May 31, 2008, 02:05 steve

....I cannot ethically recommend a medical treatment. However, as a lay-person, I CAN tell you about a wonderful device I have been using for the last 6-8months. I have terrible seasonal allergies about every August-October but, even worse, monthly sinus infections thru the year. I found something at Walmart called "Neil-Med Sinus Rinse"....I bought the "regular" size and soon 'upgraded' to bigger size. It is kinda gross...I 'rinse' in the shower....and don't use distilled water as they say....but the pre-packed salt and bicarb packets have kept me free of any sinus problems for the whole 8 months. In-frickin-credible. I have no stake in the company, but tell my E.D. patients about it at least weekly. I worked with an old-time nurse who used to mix her own salt solution.....and there are recepies (spelling?) on the net on how to mix your own rinse.....so try either the pre-mix stuff or mix your own and you really won't be sorry.

9. Re: Antihistamine May 30, 2008, 19:49 xXBatmanXx

Funny, that is indeed the one I tried today.
Good call -- worked wonders with much less of a side effect.

HAY! Look at that. Just in time for the weekend.

Glad you are feeling better. The memories I have of allergies are not my favorite.

"I'm an idiot...I move...."
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

8. Re: Antihistamine May 30, 2008, 17:15  Blue 

Blue, quit wasting your time and try Allegra!

Funny, that is indeed the one I tried today.

Good call -- worked wonders with much less of a side effect.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. No subject May 30, 2008, 16:10 xXBatmanXx

this work day can't get over fast enough....

clicked on the link:
The Scoop on Fattening Ice Cream Flavors.

Lots of "our kids are fat because...." comments that kind of ruined the article. No shit our kids are fat. You drive down the street lately? Watch tv? sheesh.

Try not eating at a fast food joint 4-5 times a week because "you didn't have tie to make supper". Maybe remove all soda from the fridge. Maybe limit kid's time in front of (electronics device here). Stupid people looking for someone to blame.

Kids are fat becasue you make them fat by feeding them fatty foods. (although there are cases were people are obese and no matter what they do it doesn't change - but that is a very small minority)

Anyway. I digress. Time to go home, eat a huge ass steak, drink heavy dark beer, maybe top it off with some whiskey on the rox, eat my B&J "Everything But The...." pint of iced fat, and live the dream. Cheers!

"I'm an idiot...I move...."
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

This comment was edited on May 30, 17:04.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

6. Re: Antihistamine May 30, 2008, 14:48 banddirector

Blue, quit wasting your time and try Allegra!

-----------------------------------
There are 3 kinds of people in the world; those who understand math, and those who don't ...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

5. Perfect voice May 30, 2008, 12:55 mag

Speak faster! You don't, need to, talk, like there are, commas, every two, words.

Also, does the male perfect voice have a lisp?

4. Angelina? May 30, 2008, 12:38 LittleMe

Oh you got my attention when you mentioned her name! What about her? You left me hanging because you obviously know a secret about her but are not divulging it!

Glad you are feeling better. How's Angelina feeling?

Perpetual debt is slavery.

3. Antihistamine May 30, 2008, 11:39 Acleacius

Hey you can always ask your Pharmasist, it saves a trip to the Dr. and they tend to know more about meds and they are MDs as well (maybe just some states?), iirc. Claritin or the numerous generics like Walatrin from a generic Drug store here in Texas. Claritin is the mid Antihistamine you take once ever 24 hours, which Pharmasist usually if you have seasonal or chronic allergies and then take a "Decongestant only" like Sudafed or Benidril to supplement your 24 hour antihistamine. Careful about those combo packs like MAX Strength, they can contain decongestant/antihistamine/pain reliever all in one. It's especially bad if you take an aspirin a day to help prevent all those nasty diseases, it will help prevent. Then unknowingly take Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or some other Corticosteroid in your super mega allergy pill, as it causes nasty problems by mixing different pain relievers.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

2. Re: Toilet trouble fix loaded onto shut May 30, 2008, 11:19 Acleacius

Thoughtful and glad to see you looking out for them. They could even call it Jim as a token of respect for your efforts. "Open Wide Jim" "Look Jim, here comes those meat & cheese enchiladas." gives a whole new meaning to public support.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

1. Toilet trouble fix loaded onto shuttle May 30, 2008, 10:14 Jim

We have an old porta-crapper up at the observatory we're looking to get rid of. We ought to ship it down to KSC so they can stuff it inside the Kibo lab when they deliver it to the ISS.

Jim

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo