Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. No subject May 19, 2008, 20:26 PropheT

Edit 2: Just saw an announcement from Funcom saying that they won't be shipping a DX10 version of the game. So either early access is getting it and it'll get yoinked or I'm running in DX10 without any extra pretty and still getting the performance hit. Hmmmm. Gonna have to look into this one a bit more.

The DX10 options are there, but it's only running Shader Model 3.0 yet in the options, so... I'd swear some of the stuff is there, but not all of it.

It's kind of hard to say. There was a bit of a graphics upgrade over what I saw in open beta, I'd just attributed it to the DX10 options but it may not have been.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Well, Conan may have lost me permane May 19, 2008, 18:10 Bucky

Ay, +1 game is awesome. So much so that I've rolled nearly every class and still can't pick. Gonna roll me a Necro when the servers come back up.

Early impressions: Lots of polish, great NPC dialog, fun single player quest line (under level 20), damn pretty even if you need a hefty rig, good UI, and classes that are all useful. Even the healers can do significant amounts of damage, but you still don't want to have a barbarian sneak attack from behind you...

Also, Funcom has been right on top of fixing issues as they've popped up. I'd recommend AoC to anyone looking for a new MMO, just keep an eye on the system requirements. If you're barely running WoW.....

5. Re: Well, Conan may have lost me permane May 19, 2008, 17:57 Fion

I didn't buy a CE, but I did spend an extra $10 to get both pre-order mounts.

Server is down right now so they can prep for release (tomorrow.) But the game is awesome. Performance is fantastic (beyond better then OB was.) The game has received a great deal of polish since then as well.

All the argument over OB being an old client and the cynics saying that was impossible. Well they are eating their words right now. As are those who said the game would never sell. It's already sold about 700'000 copies world wide.

4. Re: Well, Conan may have lost me permane May 19, 2008, 17:45 Bucky

You canceled your CE preorder on the basis of open BETA performance observations? Dumbass. I kept trying to think of a better way to say it, but I can't.

I'm getting 30-40 fps (which is plenty) at High settings using DX10, 1680*1050 no AA 16xAF. 60+ if I drop it to DX9, at which point I'd turn on some AA. Game looks and plays great; I'd be playing right now if all the US servers weren't down for release day prep.

Vista 64
Core 2 Due E6600 (Conroe 2.4GHz) OCed to 3.0
4 GB DDR2-800 OCZ (running at 866 IIRC)
EVGA 8800GT stock, 175.16 Drivers
Asus Xonar DX

Pretty sure those are the pertinent details.

Edit:
It wouldn't be a collector's edition if the number wasn't limited.

QFT. My CE should be here Thursday.

Edit 2: Just saw an announcement from Funcom saying that they won't be shipping a DX10 version of the game. So either early access is getting it and it'll get yoinked or I'm running in DX10 without any extra pretty and still getting the performance hit. Hmmmm. Gonna have to look into this one a bit more.

This comment was edited on May 19, 18:38.

3. Re: Well, Conan may have lost me permane May 19, 2008, 17:17 osage no onna

if Funcom is going to screw me and other open beta folks like this, then they can f*ck off and die

That's a bit harsh. You canceled it out of your own volition, because you weren't willing to risk the game not being up to your standards. Other people had more faith. It's reasonable to be upset, but it's not reasonable to blame Funcom.

2. Re: Well, Conan may have lost me permane May 19, 2008, 16:40 PropheT

So buy a regular one.

It wouldn't be a collector's edition if the number wasn't limited.

1. Well, Conan may have lost me permanently May 19, 2008, 16:23 LemonJoose

I followed Age of Conan closely for more than a year, but because of the horribly shitty open beta performance, I decided that the wisest thing to do would be to cancel my pre-order of the Collector's Edition and wait to see how launch went and see if the game performance at release would be improved. Based on the open beta, for large numbers of people who experienced terrible game performance even with high end PCs, there was simply no intelligent way to justify pre-ordering. So now the CE is sold out, and I am screwed. I know I am not the only open beta tester who is in the same boat as me.

If this game turns out to be good, I want the CE, but if Funcom is going to screw me and other open beta folks like this, then they can f*ck off and die. There is no reason they can't print more CE's if there turns out to be demand for them.

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo