Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Trailer

Gametrailers.com now offers a new "Hell March" trailer from Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3. The clip runs a but under two minutes, showing off gameplay and loads of visual effects. Thanks Ant and Planet Command & Conquer.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: No subject May 19, 2008, 14:40 m00t

Red Alert always was cartoony, over-the-top, and heavily exaggerated. This is a little more so, but I don't think it's out of line with the previous games. I think most of it is the fact that one of the sides they were showing off was using purple as their side color. Largely I think it is in keeping with the franchise. I hope the gameplay holds up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: No subject May 19, 2008, 08:47 kanniballl

even sc2 is like that tbh, I guess it could be just the graphics/resolution that does that. the older games were.. smudgier.

Yeh C&C's low-res graphics did leave a lot to the imagination. From what I recall, the soldiers were incredibly low-detail due to their size, though the vehicles looked a little better since they were a little bigger (and thus had some details drawn in). I think StarCraft's units had slightly more detail in comparison.

That being sad, it never took away from the enjoyment and the C&C games were so immersive that your imagination took over a little. Plus you were far enough above the battlefield that you really didn't care if your soldiers had faces or your tires had treads.

Now some RTS games go the opposite direction, they keep the camera so close so you get to see the unshaven stubble on your soldiers faces and scars on their arms, but you only see a small segment of the map (Sup Comm excluded of course).

Red Alert always seemed a little tongue-in-cheek to me. Between the humor and surreal tech and environment the old graphics didn't really drive that forward enough. I mean, what would a War Bear look like back then? Now you can see just how unrealistic and colorful everything really is.

This comment was edited on May 19, 08:56.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: No subject May 19, 2008, 05:56 toon

yeah I thought it was a bit too colorful/cute as well for my taste.

even sc2 is like that tbh, I guess it could be just the graphics/resolution that does that. the older games were.. smudgier.

7. No subject May 19, 2008, 04:49 Phangan

yeah the sad thing is that ea f**ked up westwood a long time ago but anyway, i like the music for one thing lol. bringing back memories of red alert

6. Re: No subject May 19, 2008, 02:35 Flo

Let me guess. The same netcode as in CnC3...  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

5. Re: No subject May 18, 2008, 23:20 Charlie_Six

Reminds me of Starcraft 2.  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

4. Re: No subject May 18, 2008, 22:23 ColoradoHoudini

That looks pretty badass. Color me interested.

-stands still so you can color him-

3. Re: No subject May 18, 2008, 19:41 Ant

Too colorful. Oh well, I wait for the beta!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

2. ... May 18, 2008, 19:20 theyarecomingforyou

Looks great. As much as EA has fucked up some brands with C&C it's starting to rival the originals, which is a pretty impressive feat. I just hope it has replayability because as good as C&C3 was I didn't find myself wanting to play it as much as past games like Age Of Empires or Warcraft.

It's strange but this along with Starcraft II and Dawn Of War II seems to be the rebirth of the RTS genre, while games like Crysis have been killing off the FPS genre. Slap Spore in the mix and PC gaming might move past the tired cliches that have dominated... now we just need some really decent RPGs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

1. No subject May 18, 2008, 19:08 Valtyr

Maybe it's just me, but it looks way too ... cute?

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo