Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Hardware Survey

New Valve Hardware Survey Results are online. If you guessed that half a percent of all respondents reported using VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro integrated graphics, you'd be correct. Thanks Shacknews.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. No subject May 16, 2008, 21:06 Tanto Edge

I feel like I've done this survey multiple times...
It's too bad we can't see a survey consisting of Everybody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: No subject May 16, 2008, 08:52 kanniballl

Also keep in mind Steam is more than Half-Life (1, 2, etc). I know a couple of people that only use it to play some of the small games like Peggle and such. So I'd imagine there are a few of those people, and their machines are just "good enough" for those kinds of games.

This comment was edited on May 16, 08:53.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: No subject May 16, 2008, 08:38 InBlack

Jesus christ the number of people that play using 60Hz refresh rate is HUGE!

But then again they might all be on flat screen monitors...

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: No subject May 16, 2008, 05:49 Razor

>Has the quality of integrated audio devices improved, or is it just that people don't notice/care about what they're hearing?

I think a bit of both. I'm not an audiophile, and the average person isn't either. I stuck with integrated audio because the quality and features of an add-in board simply aren't compelling enough.

That and I'm not the greatest fan of Creative Labs being essentially the only game in town for add-in sound. My first and and second sound cards were Gravis Ultrasounds back in the day. I wept the day I had to buy a SoundBlaster.

It's a shame Gravis died when they did. With Windows 95 and DirectSound there was a good chance they could have broke through the monopoly Creative had built for itself in gaming. I know, those aren't the only reasons that Gravis died =| Poor drivers for Windows didn't help much.

16. No subject May 16, 2008, 04:54 osage no onna

These always make me feel better about my machine. It's amazing what kind of hardware people can still get away with.

Anyway, are soundcards really such a niche item? Has the quality of integrated audio devices improved, or is it just that people don't notice/care about what they're hearing? Sensory discrimination! Only you can emancipate your ears!

My heart goes out to those hundreds of people with less than 10Gb total HDD space. I'm struggling with 500Gb.

15. Re: No subject May 16, 2008, 04:11 Dev

The Half Elf:
Consoles having a set system is DEFINATELY a reason why consoles sell more. People want to have less hassles and know it will just run when they buy a game for xbox 360. No screwing with drivers or making sure you meet every last little requirement.

As for the higher res, I don't think there's any projectors that goto those kinda resolutions. I don't think even digital film projectors for theatres are that high of a res.

14. Re: No subject May 16, 2008, 02:54 The Half Elf

Yeah but the issue is with PC's and higher res settings is the bigger impact it has on the system. Hell at that large, I'd just buy a projector and a really nice projector screen.

Dev as for consoles having a set system I don't see that as an Issue. Imagine for say PC gamers there were set systems ranging from Web Browser to Crysis at 120fps! labeled systems.
It would be great cause developer's only have 1 (or in consoles cases 1 to 5 systems) to get the max out of a system. But then again you have developers like Bungie, and Bioware, and Rockstar that are pushing textures/poly's over framerate.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: No subject May 16, 2008, 01:33 wallace321

Quote: I think the game might've sold better if they'd ever bothered to mention this in their marketing, rather than just showing videos of the game at the highest settings, telling people when it came out how no computer on the market was capable of running it at those settings and then whining it's piracy when it didn't sell.

I agree dude. Who wants to pay top dollar for a game that in order to play their system has to feel bad about itself? "it's okay honey, my expectations were too high." or "a lot of guys have to turn the settings down to perform well..." I personally waited until they knocked $15 off.

Iron Lore blamed piracy for the bad reputation Titan Quest got for crashing(and thus, the poor sales). In this case, the PUBLISHER helped create a bad reputation by setting the games graphical expectations too high and piracy was STILL blamed when it didn't sell well. "It was hype that killed the beast."

This comment was edited on May 16, 01:36.

12. No subject May 16, 2008, 01:24 Dev

Tony!!!:
Actually, PC's can still do higher def than consoles. Xbox 360 and PS3 are limited to 720p or 1080p. You can get higher resolutions on PCs. If you use multimonitors, the 8800 card can go up to 2048x3072 or 4096x1536. If you use a single monitor it can go up to 2048x1536. All of those are much higher res than the consoles can hit. Keep in mind that 1080p is about 2 megapixels, whereas those other resolutions are about 6 megapixels for the multi monitor spanning ones and about 3 megapixels for the single.

Also, the modern graphics cards are much more powerful than any that are in the consoles.

The main issue is that with consoles everyone has the hardware, its all a standard platform. As well, both MS and sony take a huge hit and sell the xbox 360 and ps3 at a loss (in the hopes that they will make up the differance with game sales).
For instance, the ps3 is somewhere between $125 and $250 loss for each one sony sells (its minimum of $125 if you look at thier losses they just posted for their game division, but could be twice as high if you take into account the game sales).
MS lost over $4 billion on the xbox 1 generation, INCLUDING all game sales including halo 1 and 2. But to them, thats only a few months pure cash profit and they probalby figure its the cost of entering the console market.

Anyway, if graphics card companies subsidized graphics cards by a couple hundred and sold the 8800 for next to nothing, you'd see a ton of ppl buying them and a bunch more game sales from ppl wanting to show off thier new graphics cards

Just a few thoughts.

Oh and BTW, the percentage of high end graphics cards WAS NOT higher a few years ago. Its always been fairly low compared to the general market as a whole, in large part because such a huge number of computers sold come with integrated graphics. In fact, the percentage of integrated intel graphics has gone DOWN in the valve surveys I've looked at, probalby because of the increasing cheapness of low end nvidia and ati graphics, while increasing in capability.
This comment was edited on May 16, 01:28.

11. Re: Crytek read this May 16, 2008, 00:00 manic half

so, if i do the survey will that stop valve asking me if i want to do it everytime i install steam? (i format fairly often)

10. Re: Crytek read this May 15, 2008, 23:39 Tony!!!

The drop in high end cards in pc's is simple man. It's all about consoles now. 10 years ago that percentage would have been WAY up. Heck, even 5 years ago.

With these new consoles pc's lost the high def edge they had for years.

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

9. Re: No subject May 15, 2008, 23:14 Overon

Do multicore cpu's show up different in the physical cpu's category?

8. Re: No subject May 15, 2008, 22:30 the_culture

Who the heck is running 127 CPUs!!!!

7. Re: No subject May 15, 2008, 22:18 Parallax Abstraction

And of course you dont need a GeForce 8800 to run crysis anyway.

I think the game might've sold better if they'd ever bothered to mention this in their marketing, rather than just showing videos of the game at the highest settings, telling people when it came out how no computer on the market was capable of running it at those settings and then whining it's piracy when it didn't sell.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

6. No subject May 15, 2008, 21:44 xXBatmanXx

I like these surveys. Very cool.

"I'm an idiot...I move...."
BN 360 Scoreboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

5. No subject May 15, 2008, 20:55 ^mortis^

no dude, Kira's got the 10 1/2...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3g4QPojMc

^m^

4. No subject May 15, 2008, 20:20 space captain

i got the 10 1/2 inch  
Go forth, and kill!

3. No subject May 15, 2008, 20:08 Karl_L

Wildone
First off Crysis doesn't use steam. So the results may be a bit different.
Secondly, How many Pcs does that 9% cover
What % of that 9% played Crysis, and what % of them pirated it.

And of course you dont need a GeForce 8800 to run crysis anyway.

2. No subject May 15, 2008, 19:59 Dev

This survey began November 13th, 2007. Last updated: 3:53am PST (11:53 GMT), May 15 2008
Unique Samples: 1728662

Blue: Nope, not new. Did you mix up started and updated dates?
Began in november, THEN it was new. Its ALWAYS updated because more people sign into steam all the time. In other words, it was updated last week, it was updated the week before, updated the week before, etc etc ad nauseum.

A couple interesting results from this 5 month old (not new) survey:

only 15% of average gamers use vista.
Only a little over half of those have DX10 capable systems (I'm surprised its that high actually)
This comment was edited on May 15, 20:02.

1. Crytek read this May 15, 2008, 19:58 Wildone

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 graphics card (9.35% of users)

Looks like no one could play your game..but yea..blame it on 'piracy' ok thx K bye

This comment was edited on May 15, 20:03.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo