Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. No subject May 12, 2008, 20:41 space captain

whatever moron thinks this is the cure for piracy needs to have his head examined professionally  
Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: No subject May 12, 2008, 12:17 zirik

Do we really want to have to start entering personal information to play a game? Sorry, games just aren't that important to me.

my thoughts exactly. devs need to realize there are some who will never switch to console gaming. and if they stop making games for pc then it is just another hobby that i can live without.

19. Re: mike doolittle is a moron May 12, 2008, 09:27 InBlack

Glad to see that EA removed the "phone home" shit.

Although the 3 time install is still a pain in the ass.

I have a nifty blue line!

18. No subject May 12, 2008, 09:15 Grooves

What am I paying $50-$60 dollars for?

So these damn developers can act like I am leasing the software from them? They think they have the right to be actively sending information from my computer? Think again Bioware.

It's a very dangerous thing to start allowing people to do things behind the scenes with code in the name of "anti-piracy". If we allow it things will get progressively worse. Do we really want to have to start entering personal information to play a game? Sorry, games just aren't that important to me.

17. Re: mike doolittle is a moron May 12, 2008, 07:59 Kajetan

Another problem ... what if the activation server is shut down, like the Triton servers vanished from one day to another, without warning or patch for the customers?

Or a few weeks ago, the shutdown of Microsofts "playsforsure" (yeah, sure! ) DRM?

This comment was edited on May 12, 08:01.

16. mike doolittle is a moron May 12, 2008, 04:56 zirik

the problem with online activation schemes is that more often than not, publishers are incapable of supporting the influx of requests for activation on launch date. bioshock activation servers had problems on all platforms on launch date. i was only able to activate my copy two weeks after purchasing it. and if i remember correctly even half life 2 on steam had this problem. telling people to wait weeks for the traffic to subside is ridiculous. so saying there is no real inconvenience to the consumer is pure ignorance in mike doolittles article.

15. Re: DRM May 12, 2008, 01:21 manic half

i'll be sticking to my no-cd cracks and whatever else the community comes up with.

that is to say, with any future titles i buy. as ill be passing on mass effect due to this. it looked good but not a 'must play' game, i'll spend it on something else.

also to the person who said you love steam.. steam is no different to this whole situation! you can't sneeze in steam without valve having to verify and check your sneezing with the correct patch.

14. Re: No subject May 11, 2008, 23:40 Beamer

<i>I have installed Fallout, X-COM, Baldur's Gate, Half-Life, and other games literally dozens of times!!! </i>

I've installed X-COM, Fallout and JA/JA2 at least four times each.

Fallout and X-COM often from pirated versions. Where are my CDs? Do they even work? Hell, X-COM was on disk. I've purchased JA2 and X-COM three times each for similar reasons, Fallout I bought at least twice. It gets to the point that a $5 ebay purchase is better than trying to find missing/scratched CDs.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: No subject May 11, 2008, 22:43 Parallax Abstraction

No it wasn't. Phoning home every 10 days was removed. It still has to phone home at installation to activate and you're still only allowed to do so 3 times before having to call EA and get more activations if they feel like giving them to you.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

12. Re: No subject May 11, 2008, 22:08 Finalnight

Phoning home was removed days ago by Bioware. Don't read this FUD article.

11. Re: No subject May 11, 2008, 21:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Hopefully I'm overreacting, and EA may leave an authentication server for this running in some closet until the end of time. By then, the game won't have limits on installs, as it will be considered too old to worry about piracy on. Again, I just hope they think it's worth leaving a light on in the authentication room for.
The fact that we have to depend on EA (or anyone else) in order to be able to play a game that we paid for makes this obviously a screwed up idea.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

10. DRM May 11, 2008, 20:43 Elricsi

As much as DRM is a waste, I HATE having to have the CD in the drive.

I put it off for years, but I finally got steam, and I love it.

9. Re: Here we go again. May 11, 2008, 18:50 manic half

makes me wonder why blue would link to this..

8. Re: No subject May 11, 2008, 18:28 HoSpanky

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9940600-7.html

just like the article writer and all the posters after him, noone noticed that EA backed down on the "phone home" part of the DRM.

3 installs is, I agree, not enough. If EA starts seeing people needing more than that, hopefully they'll take the route 2k did with Bioshock and just allow more instances. That's a change on THEIR end, so it would be a quick fix for all.

My sole worry about this sort of thing is that years from now, people won't be able to install and play it because EA notoriously shuts down servers for older games. Hopefully I'm overreacting, and EA may leave an authentication server for this running in some closet until the end of time. By then, the game won't have limits on installs, as it will be considered too old to worry about piracy on. Again, I just hope they think it's worth leaving a light on in the authentication room for.

7. Re: No subject May 11, 2008, 16:56 Jerykk

As I understand it you've given a certain number of activations and you can revoke these activations. Why couldn't you just revoke your activation and transfer them to the next owner?

I don't recall EA mentioning the ability to revoke activations.

6. I thought Blue's didn't link blogs... May 11, 2008, 16:05 [THA] Hamst3r

I'm glad that nearly no one is agreeing with that guy as he doesn't know what he's going on about.  

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

5. Re: No subject May 11, 2008, 16:02 Prez

How in the HELL did this guy get a job? He is actually asking how many times do you need to install a game?!?!

I have installed Fallout, X-COM, Baldur's Gate, Half-Life, and other games literally dozens of times!!!

More to the point, it is nobody's god-damned business how I use my legally bought software.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. No subject May 11, 2008, 15:47 Aero

As I understand it you've given a certain number of activations and you can revoke these activations. Why couldn't you just revoke your activation and transfer them to the next owner?

(this isn't rhetorical, I don't know how it works)

3. Re: No subject May 11, 2008, 15:24 Jerykk

Except this has nothing to do with piracy. This security scheme will be cracked, just like every other scheme and the game will be downloaded by thousands.

No, the whole point of this authentication is to curb used sales. Unlike piracy, used videogame sales definitely cut into a publisher's profits and they don't like that. With console games, there's nothing they can do. With PC games, they can implement ridiculous protection schemes, making it impossible to resell games unless the buyer is willing to break the law and crack them himself. Publishers want consumers to pay full price for every copy of the game and they want all profits to go directly to them. This DRM is simply a means to that end.

2. No subject May 11, 2008, 15:04 Aero

It did use a lot of words to say not much at all, but I agree with the gist of it. I'm not terribly happy with it phoning home, but I'm not particularly bothered by it either. Eventually we'll go full SaaS anyways. Just as well get used to it now.

These are just video-games. If I install it and it works, that's all that matters to me. Provided they meet that criteria, they're welcome to try to defend against piracy however they see fit, and good luck to them.

I don't care for them installing drivers on my system and I rather not have to jump through these hoops, but them's the breaks. It's a shame that there are freeloading little brats in this world mucking it up for everyone.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo