Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Call of Duty 5 Revealed

MCV reports that Call of Duty 5 was unveiled in a conference call where Activision discussed its most recent round of financial reporting. The conference call is transcribed here (thanks Gamer's Hell), so here is exactly what was revealed about this project, which will be moving to another theatre of operations:

For Call of Duty, we値l bring the intensity of the recent Call of Duty: Modern Warfare title to yet a new military theater, to engage our significantly larger user based, which nearly doubled last year as new users came into the franchise.

We値l launch on all four platforms we participated on in fiscal 2008 plus we will launch on the PS2 and the Wii. We値l drive category sales of downloadable maps and enhanced Call of Duty 4 retail SKUs.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: No subject May 28, 2008, 18:47 Flatline

I thought that a Vietnam era game would be interesting. It'd be difficult to do that with the COD engine.

Now the Crysis engine? That might be able to push some really tense jungle battles.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject May 24, 2008, 17:58 [VG]Reagle

COD5 should go to a city gang based crime senario. Instead of rolling onto Normandy beach multiplayer would be like in a walmart.  

I am MUCH MUCH better now.

30. Re: No subject May 23, 2008, 11:29 dagger

The multiplayer is what he is talking about

29. No subject May 14, 2008, 08:40 JayDeath

The rumor is that the game might go back to the WWII pacific theater? That would be cool. There really isnt a good one. How about the really good Vietnam theater FPS? That's never been done right either.

Steam: Henry Krinkle

I want a new Brothers in Arms game!

28. Re: Guess I'm the only one who can read. May 9, 2008, 21:12 MMORPGHoD

But if it's coming out on all 4 platforms, and the PS2 and Wii are included in that, the other 2 platforms are the PS3 and 360.

Are you reading what I'm reading?

For Call of Duty, we値l bring the intensity of the recent Call of Duty: Modern Warfare title to yet a new military theater, to engage our significantly larger user based, which nearly doubled last year as new users came into the franchise.

We値l launch on all four platforms we participated on in fiscal 2008 plus we will launch on the PS2 and the Wii. We値l drive category sales of downloadable maps and enhanced Call of Duty 4 retail SKUs.

We値l launch on all four platforms we participated on in fiscal 2008

That's participated in, as in past tense. What are the four they already participated in [CoD4]? Wikipedia lists Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Mac OS X for CoD4 (although I think DS should be there too.. naaah, it's not a real platform!). But this can't be, they must be including PS2 and Wii in that four! NO. If they did, then why specifically say:

plus we will launch on the PS2 and the Wii.

PLUS. PLUS meaning in addition or newly added. They didn't say "All four including.." They said all four, plus two. That's 4 + 2 = 6 platforms. And don't get hung up on Fiscal 2008 either, companies don't all start their fiscal years on the same month.

Edit: And just to add, wikipedia for CoD5 lists:

Call of Duty 5 will be the fifth installment of the series (ninth, counting expansion packs) and was confirmed on December 2, 2007.[4] It is expected to be released by the end of Activision's fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2009,[5] and will be available on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, as well as on PlayStation 2 and PC

So I guess the Mac isn't a real platform. Of course, they're probably not counting the Mac because it won't be out until Fiscal 2010 ;).

This comment was edited on May 9, 21:19.

27. Guess I'm the only one who can read.. May 9, 2008, 19:29 The Half Elf

But if it's coming out on all 4 platforms, and the PS2 and Wii are included in that, the other 2 platforms are the PS3 and 360.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

26. Re: No subject May 9, 2008, 16:53 Jerykk

But meh, you might prefer the bunnyhopping tedium of Quake or the repetitive bullshit of counterstrike.

As opposed to the wonderfully linear and formulaic nature of CoD4..? Along with respawning enemies and regenerating health...

25. Re: No subject May 9, 2008, 16:51  cliffski 

hardly... its one of the most profitable games of the year, and most highly rated. Its possibly the best FPS ever made.
But meh, you might prefer the bunnyhopping tedium of Quake or the repetitive bullshit of counterstrike.

http://www.positech.co.uk

24. No subject May 9, 2008, 16:02 Warrax

I liked the first CoD, was nice, but now they just exploit the name to make profit, lame.

23. Re: New Theater May 9, 2008, 15:52 MMORPGHoD

I suggest they go with the Hundred Years War. They'll really be able to milk that one.

22. Re: New Theater May 9, 2008, 15:41 Jerykk

I heard a rumor that Call of Duty 5 might go back to World War II.

The press release specifically cites "a new military theater" so I doubt it'll be WW2 again. That still leaves the question of what it will be. The whole Vietnam fad never really caught on and I highly doubt it'll be a WW1 game or anything with really primitive weapons. That doesn't leave a whole lot of military theaters to choose from.

21. No subject May 9, 2008, 15:09 Nameless Again

As much as I like my Wii, I can recognize that porting this game over to it is just retarded. The Wii obviously doesn't have the horsepower, so why even bother??

When are they going to mix CoD4 with BF1942? That's what I want...BF2 was a poor implementation of that idea.

20. New Theater May 9, 2008, 15:05 joe2tiger

I heard a rumor that Call of Duty 5 might go back to World War II. Sigh, what are they going to name this one? Call of Duty 5 - World War 2.5 because the first 3 COD's weren't enough WWII...  

Carl Sagan wrote:
Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

19. Re: Who's making it? May 9, 2008, 15:05 Jerykk

Wii gamer - I hope they don't dumb it down for those without our fancy controllers.

I don't think Wii gamers even know what "dumb down" means.

18. Re: No subject May 9, 2008, 14:40 MuzixMon

"We値l launch on all four platforms we participated on in fiscal 2008"

I think that pretty much implies a PC release.

Just because they implied it doesn't make it a certainty by any means ESPECIALLY when it comes to PC versions.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

17. Re: Who's making it? May 9, 2008, 14:31 Brainp0wa

PC Gamer - I hope they don't dumb it down for the consoles...
360/PS3 Gamer - I hope they don't dumb it down for the last gen consoles...
Wii gamer - I hope they don't dumb it down for those without our fancy controllers.
PS2 gamer - I hope they don't dumb it down for the handhelds...
DS gamer - Yay!

16. Re: No subject May 9, 2008, 12:55 Jerykk

Games get designed for the lowest common denomenator. The lower you make that, the lower the standards for the game. This is definitely not "good for everyone".

Agreed. One of the reasons why movie tie-ins suck 99% of the time is because they have to be made for practically every platform in existence. Developers spend more time just trying to get the game to work instead of making it good. Conversely, all the classic games are platform-exclusive.

15. Re: No subject May 9, 2008, 12:44 Shataan

I liked COD 4s sp part of the game on PC. But the mp maps included lost me. All somewhat urban fodder. I was hoping for something more like Delta Force 2, wide open terrain maps etc. at any rate, I look forward to playing the next CODs single player game.

This comment was edited on May 9, 12:45.

14. Re: No subject May 9, 2008, 12:31 Syntarsus

I never realized you people could read so much from so little. They said virtually nothing except "oh, yeah, there will be a Call of Duty 5."

I think it's somewhat natural to see so much marketing-speak in two sentences, and then just go ahead and assume the worst.

13. Re: No subject May 9, 2008, 12:31 MMORPGHoD

All 4 platforms and then some..

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo